Jan 20, 2011
I have the following calibers, in center fire rifles:
22-250
257 Roberts Ackley Improved
7mm-08
7mm mag
300 Savage
30-06

I'm thinking that I may need a 243/6mm or a 6.5mm to fill the gap. I don't need anything bigger than the '06. What say you? I prefer Rem 700 classics and CDL's. I was thinking of build a Dasher in the future, but that would be a heavy chuck gun. I may not need anything, but I know you enablers will love to spend my money for me.
Steve

Hmmmmm. Your '06 is your biggest cartridge. You know that thirty calibre bullets bounce off of elk. Maybe it is time for you to pick up a 325 WSM, or a 338-06, or a ...

35 Whelen!

Steve,

Nice collection. In addition to a 35 Whelen and Marlin 1895 in 45-70, I would go with a 243 Win. :mrgreen:
I am not enabling, just saying. :wink:

JD338

I'm going with the flow, .338, .35w., good choices. But given you selection of classic cartridges you really need a 375HH and (not or) a .45-70. :)

I think Steve needs a few new rifles :lol: A fast twist 6mm or 6.5 would be cool. Then you could fill in that big bore gap!

I figured you guys would push for a 35 Whelen, especially since there happens to be one in the classifieds for a good price! Trust me, I have be thinking about it.
Steve

ScreaminEagle":3b0z9buh said:
I figured you guys would push for a 35 Whelen, especially since there happens to be one in the classifieds for a good price! Trust me, I have be thinking about it.
Steve

And its a Classic too! :wink: They don't come up for sale very often for a reason.
The 35 Whelen is a hammer both near and far. A 400 yard elk rifle with the right scope set up but not outrageous for thick cover WT deer hunting.

JD338

Nice group of rifle cartridges.
6mm-06 would be cool.
6 x 47 is pretty neat also.
Hmmmm. 243 AI?
Guess you can tell which barrels I'm considering for a Savage project? :grin:

HOGWILD338-378":3q8sb4wc said:
These will not bounce off they will cause serious damage :lol:

Too bad Federal quit making those bullets! The TBBC were one of my favorites also.

I am sorta looking at the same stuff Steve, a small 6.5 like a Swede, 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5x47. they are all about the same ballistically and with a 1-8 barrel on them, they would be alot of fun. The 6.5 Creedmoor looks really good when paired with a Remington Short Action too..

Cases are pretty easy to come by along with good bullets.

For some reason I haven't found the exact rifle I want, but once I do, any of those cartridges would be more than fine for me.. Good luck

If you go 6mm, a 243 or 6mm Rem would be alot of fun too. I've been having a bunch of fun shooting my son's 243 lately.

Oh, don't let that M700 Classic 35 Whelen slip away! I wished I could swing it, or I would have grabbed it by now. They are sweet rifles and like Jim said, they work near or far.

A 6.5 06 and/or a 35 Whelen would fill the niche just fine. A 45 70 would complete the list.

REDGREEN":26lzdew6 said:
A 6.5 06 and/or a 35 Whelen would fill the niche just fine. A 45 70 would complete the list.

I like where your heads at! :grin:

I don't see a need for a 6/6.5mm in your stable but there's a definite void in your large caliber slot. Something foreign in 8.6mm or 9.1mm would work great! :wink:

You need a few. I think a 6.5X55 or a 26 Nosler a 6-284 and a 35Whelen and since you want another oddball through in a 9.3X something!!

ScreaminEagle":1ra32kdr said:
Steve

Man I love your sig line :grin: :grin: :grin:

I would say 6mm Rem just to be sort of an odd ball. Just like the .280......

I vote for the 6mm Remington.
This was a long time ago when bullets weren't as dependable as today, but once I found a good bullet the .243 ended up a nice little rifle.
I wouldn't mind having another 6mm of some sort. The .243 is nice, the 6mm Rem. is a little faster.

Back