Dry Spell Over!

elkeater2

Handloader
Jan 5, 2009
2015 was not a good hunting year for me. It started with a clean miss on a 285 yard antelope that I over-estimated range on (no rangefinder that day) and shot over. The only other antelope got busted by some guys who'd read too much "long range hunter" stuff without doing their homework.
I didn't draw the limited deer tag I put in for, and my local short general tag season was interrupted with family concerns. Fell off my camper Oct. 12th and got banged up. No elk hunt after that. Then I had a heart attack Nov. 14. These are not excuses, just the way it all happened.
My wife and I truly enjoy our game meat and rely on it most years for the majority of our red meat diet. Fortunately, friends and family with plenty on hand shared with us. The only thing that really suffered was my ego and track record! :)

I've got a .223 Rem heavy 26" barrel for my Encore. Great prairie dog setup and well used. Wyoming legalized .223 and such with proper bullets a couple years ago, so I got some of the Nosler 64 gr. BSB's after reading about them here in our bullet tests. Developed a good load, then this spring my son used it for a 200+ yd shot on his turkey (legal here). I contemplated using the little caliber on deer if circumstances allowed.

This year, I did draw an extra whitetail doe/fawn tag for my home ground. Last evening, it all came together - right at sundown, mature doe lit up in the setting sun broadside, 135 yards. She was gorgeous, with a reddish hue to her coat. Gotta admit I was a little shaky (that's part of why we hunt, right?). Bullet struck mid-shoulder, somewhat forward. Passed through the opposite shoulder just short of the point. No bullet recovery. Can't believe how excited I became! If I have no more success this year, I'm satisfied.

Thanks to Nosler for an excellent bullet, and for this forum where the class of the shooting internet shares so much!
EE2

Holy cow, hope you're healing up ok, you had a crappy year. Congratulations on the doe, it must feel good.
For the record, this is my 49? Year with tags in my pocket. A lot of deer and elk have gone into my freezer. If I ever tag an animal and don't get the shakes, I'll hang it up and be a target shooter. I'm happy you can still feel the rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats, sounds like that BSB did a good job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EE2, I think I had that same kinda luck in 2014 with heart health and such! Then last year I can not explain :eek:.
I am so glad you started this year off right (y).
I will be entering a post in the next while hooray for 2016 :mrgreen:!
EE2 we are looking forward to a few more stories with photos!

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks, Dan! Taking my son after his elk next week. Will take pics on that trip. In the meantime, here is the one I spoke about in this thread...

Attachments

• doedeer2.jpg
    doedeer2.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 355
A big old doe is just about the tastiest animal on the planet, congratulations.

Congrats on a fine hunt. I've always said the day I don't get excited about a kill and loose that moment of sadness for the animal it's time for me to find something else to do.

Glad you are over the events of last year and that this year is going well. Congrats on your doe, no doubt she will eat well for you and your wife. Yes, being excited is a good thing like the others have said..........

Well, you took a lickin' and you're still tickin'. Glad to see that things are going better this year. Here's to success for your son on his elk hunt.

Back