elevated box stands

I hunt different properties in NC and SC every year. I've been in at least 100 different elevated box blinds. They all lacked one simple feature: small shelves in the corners. In the morning when you can't see without artificial light, it would be nice to NOT have your gear on the floor. Binos, rangefinders, ammo, or even a thermos would be much better situated off the floor which is often littered with what ever blew in through the windows. It's also helpful to not inadvertently kick or step on your gear.

Just a thought for a new build or improving an old one.
I like hooks to hang my backpack and other objects.
I often find the shelves covered in mouse droppings.

a lot of thought goes into these things . I'm glad you guys are talking , I can ALWAYS use a few new ideas .

I put a 2X6 shooting rail around the inside of these blinds . there would be room to set bino's , drinks , snacks and other things in the corners .see pics in post #3 . I'm thinking about a few screw in hooks screwed into the bottom of the 2X6 for hanging items , but I don't want them to be knee knockers when trying to get into position to shoot . probably let the guys use them a season , then make these small improvements . I don't want hooks above a heater , and I don't know where the best place is for a heater . a little bit of use will sort these things out . on the door I put a coat hook .

I see now one has mention seating. I use old office chairs , being they’re adjustable makes them very comfortable.

I've had the three box blinds built for a while . we still don't have them up . the last one I had plexiglass for the front window , from an old overhead garage door . one of the other members had a 2' x 4' x1/4" thick . I did some figuring and could get the other three windows out of it , if I down sized the windows . the windows are the same width , but not as high . the first two blinds have 18" high windows , this new plexiglass windows are 12" high . the 12" high windows worked out great , better than the higher windows .it will also be a little more concealment for the hunter . the 1/4" thick was a dream to work with . it's also rigid enough I didn't have to frame them . the piece of plexiglass I had was 1/8" thick . it's too flimsy , I had to frame it with wood . the shorter windows go up against the wall better , giving more head room with the windows open . I also lucked into two office chairs at a yard sale for $5 each !

P8170599.JPG P8170593.JPG

inside with the taller windows . I just didn't think far enough ahead on this .. the shorter windows are much better .

P8170598.JPG

inside with the shorter windows . these worked out a lot better . this one has a tall front window . they should all be 12" high .

P8170596.JPG

I've had the three box blinds built for a while . we still don't have them up . the last one I had plexiglass for the front window , from an old overhead garage door . one of the other members had a 2' x 4' x1/4" thick . I did some figuring and could get the other three windows out of it , if I down sized the windows . the windows are the same width , but not as high . the first two blinds have 18" high windows , this new plexiglass windows are 12" high . the 12" high windows worked out great , better than the higher windows .it will also be a little more concealment for the hunter . the 1/4" thick was a dream to work with . it's also rigid enough I didn't have to frame them . the piece of plexiglass I had was 1/8" thick . it's too flimsy , I had to frame it with wood . the shorter windows go up against the wall better , giving more head room with the windows open . I also lucked into two office chairs at a yard sale for $5 each !

View attachment 20605 View attachment 20607

inside with the taller windows . I just didn't think far enough ahead on this .. the shorter windows are much better .

View attachment 20608

inside with the shorter windows . these worked out a lot better . this one has a tall front window . they should all be 12" high .

View attachment 20606
Looks like a business opportunity to me.
Office chairs are nice for afternoon nap😁

Looks like a business opportunity to me.
Office chairs are nice for afternoon nap😁
the office chairs are fairly common in the blinds I've hunted out of in N,Carolina . they work great , and they are comfy . the height adjustment is also very nice .

HA HA HA , on the business opportunity .

we're slow getting these boxes out . it's been one thing after another trying to get this project to happen . we rolled them out of my garage on pipes , and we got them painted today . we're going to haul them out , and place them tomorrow . hopefully next weekend we can get the holes dug and the poles placed in the holes . it'd be nice to get one or two of the boxes up on the legs too .this sounds like a lot , but maybe things will start to go easier for us . it's been up hill both ways on this project .

P8260562.JPGP8260563.JPGP8260564.JPG

The blinds look great Jim. Looking forward to seeing them placed and on stilts. How high off the ground are you going? What are you using to place the blinds on the platforms?
I have pallet forks for my tractor and my max height would be about 7.5'. Honestly I am a little leary of lifting a 1000 pound blind more than 6', even with loaded tires and an implement like a tiller on the 3 point.

JD338

The blinds look great Jim. Looking forward to seeing them placed and on stilts. How high off the ground are you going? What are you using to place the blinds on the platforms?
I have pallet forks for my tractor and my max height would be about 7.5'. Honestly I am a little leary of lifting a 1000 pound blind more than 6', even with loaded tires and an implement like a tiller on the 3 point.

JD338

Hi JD , we're going to try to get them at 10 feet high to the floor . we are going to set utility poles to 4 foot deep , if we can get holes that deep . X brace the poles (legs ) and frame around the top to set the blinds on , and fasten the box to the base . a couple of our guys work for a tire company . the one guy drives a boom truck . we have access to this truck . we're going to use the boom truck to lift the boxes . I'll get pics and try to get a few short videos of the process . it might give some guys a few ideas on setting up their box blinds . I looked around online and found this picture of a truck similar to the one we can use . I think the guys call it a knuckle boom .

tire truck.jpg

I'd be very cautious too , of trying to lift these with your tractor . if something starts to go wrong , there's no stopping it . I've used skid steers and had too heavy of a bucket . when they start to fall forward there is no stopping it , and it happens fast with no warning . the buckets on the ground and the rear tire are in the air . it's a good way to get hurt and bust up a bunch of equipment .

Jim those look very well done. Those would fetch a far amount of coin here.
thank you for the kind comments . today is the first time a few of the guys seen the blinds . everyone seems to think they will be a nice thing to have . the guys also mentioned they think I should try to build and sell a few of these blinds . LOL I told them I already had a business name ; out of square hunting blinds HA HA HA

we had a nice meal at the end of the day . Mike did up another Pork loin , and Brussel sprouts . Denise made deviled eggs , and Haluski . I'm surprised this was the first time about half of the guys ever ate Haluski , they all liked it . they didn't know what they were missing .

haluski.jpg

I'll try to get pics as we go , and keep the thread updated . it might be helpful to someone else .

Watching your progress with some interest. Gotta' admit that the meal looks fantastic. Truly a meal fit for a king.

we got them hauled out , and placed close to where we want them . loading , and unloading them , went way easier than I thought . it's always nice to have lots of help too . the trailer is a tilt deck , so we carried the first one on without needing to lift it very high . the other two we lifted them up high enough to clear , and had guys on the trailer to grab the boards we're using for handles . it went smooth . how we did this is , made up two ropes close to the same length , with loops on each end . we got the ropes under the blind with the loops sticking out . we then put a 2x4x8 through the loops . this gave us good handles to be able to lift and carry the blinds . we had three guys on each side . just picture a casket being carried . to unload them we pulled the blind partially off the trailer , let it rest on the ground , tipped it up off the trailer , and pulled the trailer out from under the blind . we tied them down by passing a ratchet strap through the two side windows and pulling them down to the trailer . they hauled nice .

a couple of pics .

boxblind5.jpgloaded up.jpggetting loaded.jpgloading last one.jpg

we will be able to get the tire truck in to location one , and location two . the tire truck will not be going in to location three . we have to cross a food plot that is soft . we would most likely get the tire truck stuck . we'll need to come up with plan B for raising this blind .

location one is good hard ground about 50 yards off a decent dirt road .

location one.jpg

location two is right next to a very good dirt road .

location two.jpg

location three is soft .

last one.jpg location three up close.jpg

lack of help has crippled this project . we had a backhoe and no help ,I sent the backhoe home . on the second attempt , three of us showed up and got the poles dropped close to the box blinds and that's been it . if we ever get things moving , I'll try to get some pics and update this thread . the lifting capacity of this truck surprised me .

Frank poles.jpg truck capacity.jpg

Back