elevated box stands

Ours are set up on ridges to overlook swamps and food plots. The approaches are below the ridge so we can pop up behind the blind and enter through the door on the back side. Entry is quite. Door hinges are oiled and the door doesn't bind. I have gotten into the blind with deer 30-50 yards out in front of me. The path to the blind is raked free of leaves and debris. Vegetation is trimmed back so you don't brush against it or leave any scent behind. It's pretty stealthy.

JD338

the one guy in our lease "THINKS" he might be able to get a few sets of the steps they use in stores to reach the upper shelves . if he can , they would be damaged ones that need repaired . I can do that. the steps would be similar to this .

Fellas , I'm bringing this one back up .
I have my second box built , except for the metal roof .some of the other guys in the lease are going to give me lumber they have laying around , and a guy thinks he has a piece or two of metal roofing . so waiting on the free materials has slowed me down . I have a start on the third box , and waiting on the freebee's to arrive .

I wanted to talk about cutting the 1/2" thick plexiglass for the windows . this time I did use a circular saw . I tried a fine tooth blade backwards , it didn't do too well . I put on a 40 tooth saw blade backwards , and it cut well . so I went to cutting . I cut for a while and pulled the saw out . I go to set it down , and noticed the lower blade cover is not covering the blade . what happened was all the hot plexiglass in the upper blade cover stuck the lower blade cover in the open position . I get it cleaned out , and everything is fine . I get to cutting again and get to where I'm stopping , I think just push the lower cover closed ASAP before it gets stuck open again . got it closed , no problem . go to start cutting again , the lower blade cover is stuck closed . now I can't get it open to clean it out . I get the saw cleaned out and everything is fine again . now I'm making my first 6 FT long cut . I'm cutting along and the saw violently jumps up out of the plexiglass . I think what to heck was that . I was close to my saw horse , so I thought I must have cut into the top of the horse . I reposition things and start cutting , it does the jumping up again . this time I see what's going on . the melted plexiglass is building up in the blade cover and it comes out in a chunk , then the saw runs up over it , making the saw jump up out of the cut . I finished cutting the windows , the saw jumped up a few more times . this thick plexiglass made really nice windows . but I'm not sure it's worth it . cutting it with a jigsaw is a very slow process . cutting it with a circular saw is dangerous . I'm glad cutting that stuff is over . I think I'll be using 1/8" thick plexiglass with a wooden frame in box #3 .

I'm not sure when we'll be putting these up . I should be able to get some pics as we put these boxes up on the legs . this might give you guys an idea or two . a couple weeks ago I was reading online and it mentioned "rutt hutt blinds " they have a facebook page . I'm not on facebook , but I was able to check out their box stands . they have a few short youtube videos on standing up their boxes . I think they showed three different ways they stand them up . I just went looking for their facebook page , and found they have a web site too . these links might give you guys a few ideas .

any of you guys getting things built ? if you are post up some pics . I'm always ready for new ideas .

we gotta get ready , hunting season is only four months away !

Nothing built, but a start of an idea. Last owner had a tube metal frame for a rectangular trampoline set into concrete footers back in the woods. Don't ask, I have no idea why. But, all the pieces are there, and I intend to use it as the foundation of an elevated um... small house? Thing is something like 8x10. Anyway, Want to put a frame of some sort up on it and wall it in. It's set on a slope, so the uphill side in only about 2 feet off the ground and the downhill something close to 4. I figure between that and a chair, it should be enough elevation to get up over the brush and give good visibility all around.

We use those in Alabama hog hunting, and the only small suggestion I can make is to add something to the floor, old carpet, bamboo mats, etc. you won’t believe how loud a dropped shell, cell phone or binoculars are! We keep them rolled up and hanging from the ceiling in contractor bags when not in use.

We use those in Alabama hog hunting, and the only small suggestion I can make is to add something to the floor, old carpet, bamboo mats, etc. you won’t believe how loud a dropped shell, cell phone or binoculars are! We keep them rolled up and hanging from the ceiling in contractor bags when not in use.
Yup. I use rubber backed rugs from Menards. It helps muffle the sound of your feet on the floor.

JD338

Just finished staining this Amish made deer blind. I also sealed all seams and board but joints with spray foam. Just need to get it out in the woods.

JD338
JD , the blind looks very good .

I was nudging the other guys over this past weekend, that we need to concentrate on getting ours finished , and placed . the season will be here before we know it .

I like to get my blinds situated, shooting lanes trimmed, etc. in the spring or summer time.
Most people I know seem to wait until a few short weeks before the season starts.
These are the ones that struggle to fill a tag and think I'm just lucky. LOL 😆

JD338

I hunt different properties in NC and SC every year. I've been in at least 100 different elevated box blinds. They all lacked one simple feature: small shelves in the corners. In the morning when you can't see without artificial light, it would be nice to NOT have your gear on the floor. Binos, rangefinders, ammo, or even a thermos would be much better situated off the floor which is often littered with what ever blew in through the windows. It's also helpful to not inadvertently kick or step on your gear.

Just a thought for a new build or improving an old one.

Sue found a couple of small wooden folding tables for this.

JD338

Back