Factory Seconds...

I did not realize they had a 6mm GMX but then again I haven't look into the GMX really. Thanks for setting me straight. I will have to look into the GMX. I am curious though how you know the difference?

TTSX is boattail and the GMX is flat based. TTSX has 3 grooves and the GMX has 2 grooves. The ones I have are flat based just like my GMX 1st bullets. The GMX has a bigger hollow point than the TTSX also and one of my 2nds did not have a tip and the HP is very big.

I used them last year and they worked great.

The hornady website shows the GMX as a boattail bullet but since it is a computer generated image I guess that doesn't mean much sometimes. The 2 versus 3 grooves is pretty clear though. I noticed the GMX has a much larger hollow point and I like the idea of that....I have read about TTSX's not expanding and I would assume the larger hollow portion would help with that. Thanks for clearing this up. I am looking forward to loading some up and seeing how they shoot. Do you have any suggestions on powder for them?

I am loading H4831 in my 243 Win, velocity is not the highest @ 3050fps but accuracy is really good. I am going to try some 4350 to see if I can get them going a little faster and keep the accuracy good. I have only killed 1 deer with them put they did a great job. I have 300 of them sitting on the shelf next to my 80 GMX 1st bullets and I am probably going to order more of the 2nds.

I am using 4350 with the 80ttsx and I have been getting great accuracy from them also. Neither bullet was fussy about seating depth, I just seated to the center of the top groove and started adding powder. The more I added the tighter they shot.

With the Hornady Interlocks I got my best groups using H4350, but I tried IMR 4350 and IMR4831 so I have those to try out with the new bullets too. I was considering giving Superformance a try because I have read some good reviews and it is supposed tack on an additional 200 fps with .243 and 6mm and it is the one powder I can find locally. I had been looking for some RL17 based on reviews for the 6mm but can not find it locally and I refuse to pay hazmat fees. After having read the powders you have had success with I am feeling much better about what I have on hand.

Well, they arrived today and I can't see anything that would make me think they are blemished. As soon as I get a chance to load some up I will share a report. Thanks again for the help.

According to Hornady when reloading for their GMX you can use any of their bullets of comparable caliber and grain weight, but they do not make another 80 grain bullet. Hodgdon lists the TTSX and a SPR SP (which I am assuming stands for speers soft point) both in 80 grains in their online data. From what I have read the data for the TTSX might not be the best choice since they are supposed to be loaded more lightly than traditional bullets, but would using the data for the Speers be a good choice? I hate not having data that doesn't specifically pertain to the bullet I am using....any advice?

I'll weigh in on this and then be quiet.
From my research and experience the GMX has to have an impact velocity of 2200 fps to work as designed.
Barnes on the other hand only needs to be traveling at 1800 fps to work as designed. To me, when shooting at extended ranges, that's a huge difference.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I believe Hornady advertises 2000 as the minimum. I agree completely, but I do not hunt anywhere that require a shot over 200 yards and that is actually a rare thing. The norm is more in the 100 to 150 range. At those ranges no matter what powder I load with 2000 plus fps should be no problem.

chrispbrown27":2c265glb said:
I believe Hornady advertises 2000 as the minimum. I agree completely, but I do not hunt anywhere that require a shot over 200 yards and that is actually a rare thing. The norm is more in the 100 to 150 range. At those ranges no matter what powder I load with 2000 plus fps should be no problem.
I agree.
For me the situation is a little different as a close shot is 300 Yards.
I'm loading a Barnes TSX BT right now in my 6.5x284 but I'm starting to work with the LRX bullet. The good thing about that bullet is it's supposed to work as designed at a miserly 1600 fps, if I recall correctly.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I had read that the LRX's are a bit softer than the TTSX's or TSX's. I don't understand why they would only make the bullets intended for long range softer. It seems to me that a bullet that is softer than the TSX/TTSX but not as soft as lead bullets would make sense. They should expand more readily and still hold together better than a lead core bullet. Many of the complaints I have read about the Barnes bullets is that they are too hard and punch straight through without expanding much unless they hit bone. I assume that Barnes, Nosler and Hornady all have reasons and lots of data that supports why their bullets are as hard as they are.

The TTSX makes less pressure than regular bullets usually so they can handle more powder to get equal pressure.

Nosler shows the 80gr Ballistic Tip with IMR-4350 max @ 45 grs - 243 Win
Barnes shows the 80gr TTSX with IMR4350 max @ 46grs - 243 Win

Hodgdon loads for the SPR SP and the Barnes TTSX only vary by .5 grains. For h4350 with the Barnes it shows a max of 47.5 where the Speers bullet maxes out at 47 even. But the IMR4350 varies a fair bit more: Barnes- 48.0 vs Speers- 46.5. I have always read that IMR4350 and H4350 do not vary by much but this data seems to say that the Hodgdon powder is a little more hot.

Loaded up some tonight, but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet. My beloved H4350 is gone and I somehow forgot. I had to load up with some IMR 4320. Typically I start at the starting load and work up in .1 grain increments, but since there is not load data specifically for GMX's I tried loads from two different sources: Lee's reloading manual and Hodgdon online data. From the Lee book I loaded 36.0 grains but only it only shows 2000 some odd fps and I was looking for more than that so I jumped over to Hodgdon for the rest. For the rest I went from 37.0 to 39.0 grains. I was a little bit leery of going over the 39.0 grains that were recommended for the Speers bullet because the Barnes tops out at 39.0 grains. I would put the GMX in the same group as the Barnes and for that reason I am leaning toward that data. When I get a chance to shoot them I will post up and let ya know how they did.

Back