Fixer Upper

super-7

Handloader
Jun 27, 2009
Well my nephew little Chili is not so little anymore. He is turning 18 in couple weeks, and graduating highschool this year.
At 5'10 and 180 lbs he's been an all star running back on 2 seperate football teams( 2 leagues spring and fall). And is turning into quite a young man.
He has been shooting his Dads 30-06 for a couple years now and the ol savage model 10 in 243 has become his predator rifle.
I decided to find him a Bday gift that would be all his. I got the OK from the wife as this is both a grad and Bday gift so the budget was set at 500$.
A little shopping around and I tracked down a used but not abused Savage 111 in 270win. I picked it up for 400$ ,
First thing I done when I got home was run some wipe out thru it and was pleasantly surprised. It was quite clean and 2 patches came out with barely anything on them after sitting with wipeout for a few hrs.
I then pulled the cheap Savage stock, I filled the comb with low expanding foam to take out that hollowness they are known for, I then glass bedded the forearm , taking care to do the recoil lug and a couple inches forward cleanly. The barrel was free floated from there.
The black synthetic stock was then scuffed with a fine sand paper then washed with mild soap and water and left to hang dry over night. The next day I gave it a spray job with Krylon old English leather. After 4 coats it got 2 of clear.
I mounted a 3x9x50 bushnell elite in it . I think it turned out ok pics to follow. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1473433082.815346.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1473433108.628920.jpg

That's very cool and that will be a gift he will treasure forever! I bet it will be passed down to one of his children when he gets older! It doesn't get any better than that.

Reading your report I can just feel the excitement in your words and you are getting a lot of enjoyment out of this which you should. I just think it's pretty darn neat. Now just load up some 130 gr. Accubonds with Federal 215 primers putting the juice to H4831SC as you work up. The load for my buddies .270 ended up being 59.0 grs. at 3030 in his 22" barrel on his particular rifle. Of course work up for yours, but that load has no pressure signs and shoots very well in his rifle.

Uncle of the year!!

I'm sure he will be thrilled. It should serve him well for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From your pics it looks like it has some very nice blueing! I honestly cannot ever think of a time when I "knew" my shiny rifle had cost me a shot on game! Sure, I like the mat finishes, but I can't say it makes any difference. I've seen guys who use all camo,etc and then don't seem to realize the light reflects off the lens' of eyeglasses, binocs, scope, etc. Sometimes even ones face is light reflective ( especially "mine" after I have humped up a steep slope! ha) You did real well by your nephew Pard!

Outstanding. Beautiful rifle and a gift that will keep on giving for the rest of his life.
Well done sir!

JD338

Good solid rifle and well done. Sure he'll appreciate the effort with every round downrange. Wish my brother in law hadn't gone off the rails at 18. He was getting a custom thumhole Mauser

Congratulations on being a doting uncle! That is a good thing. No doubt your nephew will treasure this rifle, and the more so since you have invested something of yourself into the gift. Excellent post of a most thoughtful gift.

Well harvest is full swing here and I've been going hard at work for the last month or so..
I finally took some time and started load development .
Sad news was my LGS
Was out of all Nosler .277 pills except some heavier 150 PT's .
So I grabbed a 100 count box if Hornady Interbonds 130gr.
And some 140 gr Seirra GK'S .
Started with Interbonds at 55 gr of H4831. Stopped at 61.
Looks like the 60 gr load with fed 200 primers seated to just fit the detachable mag is the one to play with a bit . Best target/ group of the day.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474313731.231373.jpg

Yeah, I took a few Whitetails with the 130 Interbond from my 270 WSM. I think your on the right track.

Back