Going to be down for a while+Contemplating 3K ELR

xphunter

Handloader
Sep 15, 2005
I found out last week I have a total tear of the Achilles tendon in my right leg. Surgery is this Friday. I will be in a cast for six weeks and will not be able to put any weight on it during that time. The total knee replacement surgery that was scheduled for November 2 on my right knee will be rescheduled at a later time. My surgeon said that I should be ready for the knee replacement surgery in 4 to 6 months.
Fun times ahead.
But it will be great to get fixed!
Concerning more fun things!
Since I can’t go out and do a lot of hunting myself, I have been spending some time helping others who are newer at hunting, on how to shoot their guns or mine better at short ranges and at distance.
Yesterday afternoon I went out and helped chronograph and spot for Paul. He is getting into distance shooting more.
Both Joe and Paul hunt together and do a lot of good things together, and they are both enjoying the fact that they don’t have to guess on the holdovers, and they can dial or use the reticle and hit spot on at any distance they want. They have both said, “it almost makes it too easy. “. I have been working with Paul more than Joe.
He was able to run his new custom hunting rifle (6.5 Creedmoor) which is a light-weight one, and made first shot connections at 300, 400, 500, and at 600 yards (10” steel) the wind got him at 6 on his first shot, but he hit it as well.
Then at last light (I was starting to put things up) he still wanted to shoot at 1000 yards 14” steel), and he hit it on the first time…he was a very happy boy.
I also have a custom rifle by Darrell Holland in 6.5 Creedmoor, and I had him check zero on it (3-shots under .2 with factory ammunition at 100 yards-it is the smallest group he has ever shot in his life ). I Chronoed it with my Labrador, then he ran steel at 3, 4, & @5 with first shot connections. A church member in Western South Dakota is going to use this rifle for his deer hunt.
Another church member here locally, will be using my 280 Ackley center-grip XP with a 160 grain Accubonds for elk hunting later this week.
Then, tomorrow morning early I am going out with two men from our congregation who are getting ready to go elk hunting next week, one of them will use my center-grip 6.5-284 Clone XP (Borden Alpine action) with a 140 Accubonds, and the other will be shooting at 6.5 PRC rifle. It is a new Bergara Wilderness Ridge that he had never shot. A little over a week ago I put a spare set of rings and scope on it, zeroed it chronoed it, and did drop confirmations out to six. i’ve been shooting rifles this year much more than I typically do😁
Tomorrow morning will be my last time to go out and spot and possibly shoot some before my surgery.
One of the things I’m gonna be thinking about while I’m down for a while, is how I’m going to set up one of my center grip single shot XP‘s for hitting a steel target at just over 3000 yards. One of the main issues, will be how to fix a mount to set up a Tarac Charlie in front of my scope so I can accommodate for the incredible amount of drop for 3000 yards.
I have two XP‘s, that are only three minute of angle difference in drop at 3000 yards with her current loads: 7mm Dakota and my 26 Nosler.
I had a ELR shooter contact me, and encouraged me to go for it, so this has been cooking in my mind for about a week now.
I will probably switch bullets on the 26, and use the Berger 153.5 instead of the 147 grain ELDM.
For this kind of distance, the Berger’s have proven to be a more consistent bullet, with a more consistent BC, and I will be sorting bullets from base to ogive, and I will be meplat trimming and pointing as well to make everything as good as possible. I will also be annealing after every firing, and doing all the other stupid things that BR shooters do.
Of course I’ll be checking to see how the Forum is doing and posting when I can, once the pain settles down, as I won’t have much else I am going to be able to do.

Ernie, we are all pulling for you to come through these surgeries with full repair of the damage. I'll pray for God's guidance as the surgeon applies the skill and ability God has given. It sounds as if you are handling matters well and managing to stay in the game, and that is excellent.

Ernie, we are all pulling for you to come through these surgeries with full repair of the damage. I'll pray for God's guidance as the surgeon applies the skill and ability God has given. It sounds as if you are handling matters well and managing to stay in the game, and that is excellent.
The 6" between my ears are handling it fine, my body may have a different opinion, once the nerve block wears off 😁

Well dang!

Surgery seems to be one of those things that we need now and again, to keep the ol' body from falling apart.

I wish you a full and speedy recovery!

Regards, Guy

I’ve been sidelined twice with surgeries and it’s no fun.
Wish you a successful and speedy recovery.

DA1EC282-3DBB-49FD-AE17-BCF92B717EB5.jpeg
I just got my permanent cast put on today. It’s been a little over two weeks since my surgery on the 13th. I’ll have this cast until the 29th of November, then I go to a walking boot. For weeks and then I have some freedom and independence. The surgeon is pleased with what he could see and feel today.
With the help of others I may even get some hunting in during the month of November. I have to get a disability exemption first from game and fish

Well, they did a neat job on the cast. 😳 For sure, we're all pulling for you to recover quickly and get back to what you've been doing before. Glad you have people who care and are willing to make your wait tolerable.

Back