Good artical. 35 Remington

I'ts a good cartridge for hunting the woods. It was back in 1975 when I killed my first trophy buck and it still is today.
I had a Marlin .35 with a 2.5 weaver scope. I don't remember the powder but I was shooting Speer 180 gr. semi spitzers, pretty sure they were semi spitzers, I could look it up as I still have that old loading manual.
Shot him at about 30 yards through the heart. Back then there were no deer processors with scales, so we rounded up a set of 250 lb. cotton scales. I had not field dressed him yet. We got him to where his shoulders just cleared the floor by a couple of inches and the scales bottomed out.
We called the game warden to come look. He said it was probably a second or third generation Wisconsin strain as the state had released some in that area a few years back. He was a basic eight, with 2 kickers, 10 point eastern, netted 147 5/8's.
Refreshing memories of being young and the start of a lifelong obsession.

On the last day of 1969, I killed the largest whitetail deer that I have ever killed. The buck scores about 170 B&C with 25-1/2 main beams and it was killed by a .35 Remington in a 336 Marlin with a neck shot at 40 yards.

I've got a 336 in .35 Rem sitting in the safe.
She's wearing a 2x7x32 Vortex and zeroed w the Hornady Lever Revolution loads.
Perfect rifle for the river bottoms on our lease in Mo.

Good read. I have never hunted with a 35 Rem but I know its a good one.
I have always liked the 35 Rem 200 gr SPCL factory load.

JD338

My Marlin 336 in 35 Remington is tuned and ready for my black bear hunt; we leave in the morning. 220gr Speers over 42.3gr of LVR with Fed 210M primers at 2100+ fps using Remington brass, each matched (within reason) for weight and neck thickness not because I had to but because I have so many brass I could. :grin:

Scope is a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x32 with Vortex's version of the BDC reticle sighted in at 150 yards.

I'm ready to go!

JD338":3ln4t4fa said:
Good read. I have never hunted with a 35 Rem but I know its a good one.
I have always liked the 35 Rem 200 gr SPCL factory load.

JD338

I like that bullet a lot. I've not shot the factory loads but that is my preferred bullet in the 35 Remington. Makes a terrific deer rifle in the Northeast. It worked well for our little deer too.

I never hunted with a bullet heavier than the 180 grain. Pass throughs most every shot and good expansion to boot. I never recovered a bullet but I'm just judging by the exit hole.
The .35 would actually do for 90% of my hunting today.

A Marlin 336D wearing VXI 1-4x20mm tossing 200gr CLRN's at 2188fps works very well out to 200 yards. This is my choice when shots are expected to be 10-125 yards. The 220gr speer over a stuffed case of LVR would be my choice for elk or moose.

Some good powder are H4895, TAC, & LVR.

I love it Charlie. Would have never thought that the 200 core loct would be the holy grail of the 35 rem!

Back