Gun rider on home insurance policy

Wis65x55

Handloader
Jul 31, 2011
I will start off by saying that I am not sure where would be the best place to post this question.
My wife and I just purchased a home. The insurance company wants an appraisal of the firearms that I own. How should I go about doing this?
Keith

I understand that the insurance company wants to know what they are insuring. However, I confess that in light of the bias against firearms manifested by so many individuals and companies, I'm leery of divulging too much information concerning firearms. I do maintain an inventory with serial numbers of firearms and optics. Photographs maintained in a safe place are always helpful, as well. I have searched out a company that specializes in insuring firearms, which gives me a measure of comfort. Granted, I have this as a separate policy from my general household insurance. Is that a possibility for you, Keith?

I'm with Mike on this one. I don't want to have to submit a list of anything to anyone.

As he notes, Google up some firearms insurance companies. One of the better ones I found when searching not long ago was Eastern:

https://www.easterninsurance.com/insura ... c-firearms

They were a LOT, LOT less expensive than a rider on my homeowner's insurance.

The NRA has basic insurance for your firearms up to $5000 without questions asked. Yes, you do have to be a member, but that's as little as $25 a year.
Now, you can up your insurance with them, for only a few dollars extra, to help offset any possible loss from theft or home fire.
Even the upped insurance from the NRA doesn't ask you about appraised value, or asks for serial numbers. They assume you already have that information stored safely.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

By the time I added on to the NRA policy the price was higher than the basic policy from Eastern. However, I did sign up for the basic policy because you can never have too much insurance.

Dr. Vette":57ho33gq said:
I'm with Mike on this one. I don't want to have to submit a list of anything to anyone.

As he notes, Google up some firearms insurance companies. One of the better ones I found when searching not long ago was Eastern:

https://www.easterninsurance.com/insura ... c-firearms

They were a LOT, LOT less expensive than a rider on my homeowner's insurance.

Eastern is zero hassle. I own plenty of NFA stuff and they had no issue taking care of me.

The cost of an insurance rider was so high that I would be repurchasing my firearms every 10 years. I took the money saved by NOT purchasing a firearm/jewelry rider and bought a good size Browning safe. The safe doesn't cost more based on how valuable the firearms/jewelry is that you put in it.

Buy the biggest, high quality safe that you can fit in the designated area. And remember, all gun safes only hold 1/2 the number of long guns that they claim to the label. It's easy to outgrow your safe so by BIG the first time.

Back