Heads up when pulling bullets

R Flowers

Handloader
Oct 23, 2004
I went to the range today with a friend's new 300 WSM and did some testing. A couple of the maximum loads I had loaded I did not shoot as the shells one grain lighter where showing the slightest of pressure signs.

I came home and was going to pull the questionable loads (2 loads, 3 each). That darned 300 WSM is too fat to fit in my RCBS kinetic bullet puller so I had to resort to vice grips on the bullets and pull them with the press. No problem, pulled them with ease.

I took each case as I pulled the bullet and went out on the lawn and dumped the powder.

HOWEVER, when I returned to the loading bench and put those cases upside down in the loading block, I discovered every one of them still had powder in the case. That was a potential disaster! If I had not realized those cases still had some powder in them and had reloaded them who knows what might have happened.

Just a heads up for others who might have to pull bullets. Make absolutely sure that you get ALL the powder out of the case.

The 300 WSM, by the way, did great. The last group I shot was using a 168 grain TSX over 66.5 grains of H 4350 and it gave a velocity of 3125 fps and a group of 0.45 inches. I think I am there. This is the same load I shoot in both of my own personal 300 WSM rifles.

RCBS makes a magnum chuck for its Quinetic puller to accommodate the WSM, RUM and SAUM cases. Also, you can always use a collet puller to remove the bullets. You are correct about powders not necessarily dumping when the case is turned up. If the load was compressed, it is quite possible (even likely) that powder will adhere to the bottom and sides of the case.

RF,

Good point!
Glad you were observant and didn't have any problems come the next range session.

JD338

You can also use your shell holder in the kinetic puller. Just make sure that the open side is down, otherwise the shellholder will fall off.

Great advice on inspecting the case afterwards. Imagine if not only there was some powder left in the case, but if you had changed powders on the next loading! :shock:

I use a collet bullet puller in my press.
I took some 06 loads apart the other day and ran into exactly the same scenario.
It was a compressed load of RL22. Had to take a flash hole tool and insert it in the case to get all the powder out of them.

Howard

Back