Hello from new member

jmak920

Beginner
May 24, 2015
This is my FNG way of introducing myself to the forum. Strictly an amateur with some experience reloading starting in the '60's with pistol calibers, because it was the only way I could afford to shoot back then, and gradually got into rifle calibers to support my big game hunting passion. Nowadays I enjoy building ammo almost as much as shooting it. In the '80s I started paying attention to developments in premium bullets that didn't exist when I started. This caused me to discover the Nosler Partition, which had been available but no one I knew reloaded or paid much attention to whatever the store had on hand as long as it would fit in their rifle. I finally got my one and only bull elk in '99 with a 160 gr. Partition 7 mm which taught me a lot about what smaller bores with the correct bullet design could do.
So now, am playing with my first .223, a 16 inch AR type carbine and am convinced it will work on the small blacktail deer around where I live. Have noticed that the commercial ammo with premium bullets available runs way slower than the military NATO 55g and 62 g ammo that I have clocked on my Crony. XM193 55g runs 3050 fps and XM 855 62g runs 2980 fps out of my Nato chamber.
Have tried some Federal Fusion MSR 62 g bonded bullet which looks great but only clocks 2750 from my carbine.
My goal is to work up reloads with " premium"bullets such as the Nosler 60g partitions or the 64 g Bonded Solid Base that will match velocity of Nato ammo.

Hoping to learn from you guys and maybe help some others. - - - jmak :)

Welcome to the greatest forum on the planet. Lots of great folks here with lots of knowledge, and willing to help anyone. Nice to have you aboard.

Welcome jmak920.
This is the best forum on the planet as Elkman said. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard, jmak920. No experts here; but lots of guys and gals willing to learn from one another. No doubt we'll welcome your questions and contributions.

Welcome to the forum. Glad you are here.

JD338

Welcome! I too love hand loading as much as the shooting! It's always been a grand hobby for me, therapeutic and informative. For your .223, I'd think the 60gr or 64gr would do swell. I think the 55gr TSX would do better! I shot a 80# or so eating hog once with the older 50gr XLC in a .221 Fireball CZ 527. It hammered her, made a 50 cal exit hole. I've used the 55gr Trophy Bonded in a .220 Swift for mule deer and exotics, its also a good one. I have also used the 68gr Hornady Match bullet in a 22-250 AI. My relatives down in Texas (comparable deer to your black tail I bet) just use 55gr softnose in their .223s or even varmint bullets! Small deer just don't take a lot of killing , especially for a good rifleman! Best of luck to you Pard.

Welcome. I trust this forum will not disappoint you. There are a LOT of good folks helping each other out here.

Welcome to this forum Jmak920. There are lots of good folks here with great experience.

Welcome to the forum that feels like the old gun shop that we and our forbearers used to hang around and swap info and stories at. It's a friendly place with a wealth of knowledge and experience and nice folks that are happy to share it with us.

I appreciate all the welcome notes from several people.
Special thanks to preacher who offered some great tips on .224 dia. bullets that have worked well for him on game heavier than coyotes.
For my .223, am working up some loads in LC brass with 60g partitions and 64g bonded PPTs. Just received some Hornady GMX and Barnes TSX in 55g and 62 g. Currently thinking that for deer I better start with premium bullets.Just bought some BL(c)2 powder and have some old IMR4064 and WIN748 to try. Wanted CFE223 but that is pretty scarce lately.

Anyway, will report later after some velocity tests when I think I have a safe load that will work.
Goal is to achieve 900 -1000 ft-lbs @ 100 yds which will be my shoot limit on deer. We have a new law in Ca that will incrementally outlaw all projectiles containing lead for any hunting as of 2019. So I have to get ready for that. First thoughts are to sell out here and move out. - - jmak920 :) :grin: :)

Selling out and moving out is a good idea. :)
California, beautiful state with too many people and too many taxes.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Welcome and enjoy a great place to talk guns and reloading.
Our moderators keep it clean and friendly for all.
But there is one thing you need to know and that is if you don't already own a rifle in 280 AI or a 35 Whelen you Will sooner or later because they will talk you into it :roll: :lol: (y)
Have fun, TD

truck driver":18sqxbjf said:
But there is one thing you need to know and that is if you don't already own a rifle in 280 AI or a 35 Whelen you Will sooner or later because they will talk you into it :roll: :lol: (y)

Who is this "they" Rodger? Just wondering. I will not stand for you slandering Scotty and Jake in that manner! :twisted:

DrMike":3dmv9piy said:
truck driver":3dmv9piy said:

Who is this "they" Rodger? Just wondering. I will not stand for you slandering Scotty and Jake in that manner! :twisted:
Now DrMike I thought you were above name calling and to mention poor Scotty and Jake in that manner with out including your self the King of the enablers here on the forum and the teacher of all others. :shock: :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

Howdy jmak920! Glad you're here!
Enjoy the Forums!
There sure are a lot of people here to help whenever you need it.

Back