Henry 243 long ranger load data needed

So I am getting a little frustrated.

I am using NEW Starline brass

100 grain nosler partions.

I am under SAMMI specs now ( pretty much mirrors the Federal Power-Shok bullets).

I can get the power shocks to chamber no problem but mine aren’t going in smoothly…. Can’t close it.

So I used a fired piece of brass that I did finally get to work and did the blue locktite trick to find the ogive and the COAL on my bore.

I sized some brass trimmed and seated the bullet back 20 thousands (.002) and it won’t chamber.

So then I tried the factory feds again no problem

So I made a bullet exactly the same as the fed and 2 out of three didn’t chamber.

WTH 😩😩😩😩😩

Jer

Last edited:
I run the shell up first

Thread the die down until it touches the case

Then I backed it out a half turn.

Then I locked it down.

Put in the one that I did the blue lock tight on because that’s at the stick position.. ran it up.

Then I threaded down until I made contact with the ogive.

Then I dropped the bullet out

Ran the new powdered case in and seated the bullet.

Measured and it was the same.. so I dropped it down and threaded the seating part down to try to get .002 more for clearance.

Got that and it wouldn’t work

So I tried another .002

Still wouldn’t work

So then I repeated this process with the federal bullet that worked and set everything so my bullet would match.

The first one worked but barely and the next one didn’t.

So I am going to measure the bullets at the neck and check the federal and see if there’s a difference.

Thanks team

I run the shell up first

Thread the die down until it touches the case

Then I backed it out a half turn.

Then I locked it down.

Put in the one that I did the blue lock tight on because that’s at the stick position.. ran it up.

Then I threaded down until I made contact with the ogive.

Then I dropped the bullet out

Ran the new powdered case in and seated the bullet.

Measured and it was the same.. so I dropped it down and threaded the seating part down to try to get .002 more for clearance.

Got that and it wouldn’t work

So I tried another .002

Still wouldn’t work

So then I repeated this process with the federal bullet that worked and set everything so my bullet would match.

The first one worked but barely and the next one didn’t.

So I am going to measure the bullets at the neck and check the federal and see if there’s a difference.

Thanks team
Does a new piece of Starline brass out of the bag chamber before you seat a bullet?

The only other gun I have loaded for was my 45-70.

Dead nuts EZ

First bottle necked cases.

Learning curve.

Somewhere around 42 grains if either H or IMR 4350 has shot well with 95’s and 100’s in a few 243’s.

If your Starline chambers you’re likely getting a bulge somewhere. Easy peasy though to sort that out. Good luck, take your time. No matter what anyone says, calipers and a black sharpie will answer a lot of questions.

So here’s the SAMMI Specs.

The bullet on the left chambers nice and the one on the right left it out as you can see ( without really trying to force it in which I won’t do.

More to come

Attachments

• E489D695-C159-425C-95E7-C35CF9843B43.jpeg
    E489D695-C159-425C-95E7-C35CF9843B43.jpeg
    451.7 KB · Views: 10
  • C22AA90A-06EE-43C7-9F39-B04CA6C57F3B.jpeg
    C22AA90A-06EE-43C7-9F39-B04CA6C57F3B.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 7D7C1D40-7E26-4C78-9F8E-D53EF62BC064.jpeg
    7D7C1D40-7E26-4C78-9F8E-D53EF62BC064.jpeg
    499.3 KB · Views: 10
  • E9B83E8C-8CDC-4096-88E8-86A1D66C5594.jpeg
    E9B83E8C-8CDC-4096-88E8-86A1D66C5594.jpeg
    599.9 KB · Views: 11
So here’s my measurements of the two bullets

My fired Starline case and I did the blue lock tight to find jam test with and it measurements and the federal one that works.

More to come

Attachments

• 5E1A3464-9FF0-489B-B826-B5401B0B62D3.jpeg
    5E1A3464-9FF0-489B-B826-B5401B0B62D3.jpeg
    489.8 KB · Views: 7
  • D89A9FBB-98D9-42FF-8EFF-222E37C35F0D.jpeg
    D89A9FBB-98D9-42FF-8EFF-222E37C35F0D.jpeg
    458.9 KB · Views: 7
So …. The bullets up front are ( left to right).
Federal fired case and a bullet
100 grain nosler
Starline fired case and the blue lock tight bullet

Back groups ( left to right)

Loaded with 39.5 grains bottom one loads the ones (3) above it don’t load.

To the right of them are two sized primed cases that load and to the right of the them are sized and primed cases that won’t load and leave the gun like the one picture of it not closing.

Will post measurements of the ones that load next and the ones that don’t

Thanks for the help

Jer

Attachments

• 0FB39E45-C8E2-4FBF-BF1C-47F5D0FDFB9E.jpeg
    0FB39E45-C8E2-4FBF-BF1C-47F5D0FDFB9E.jpeg
    472.2 KB · Views: 5
Ok here’s some data on the two bullets I made up

Both ran through the same dies and one after another so they should have worked.

The one on the left works and you can see the data and the one on the right doesn’t???

I don’t see anything that’s glaring 😩

Jer

Attachments

• 407CFC37-7481-4368-8087-A0BB4CE738FA.jpeg
    407CFC37-7481-4368-8087-A0BB4CE738FA.jpeg
    431.4 KB · Views: 5
Starline Brass out of the bag: ANSWERED

I get one out of approximately every 6 or 7 of them that will allow me to chamber them?????

Did I get a bad batch?

But even after I resize and prime they don't load either ( just cases)

RESISING DIE RCBS SETTING:

Ran the ram up to the top.....screwed the sizing die down to the plate, locked it in with the lock ring.

Is that right - I read the instructions to back the ram out and turn down another 1/2 turn, but I read and watched vids that said that's wrong to do that.

Grasping at straws team.

Jer

I sized some brass trimmed and seated the bullet back 20 thousands (.002) and it won’t chamber.
Was this new brass or once fired?
Have you tried chambering a new piece of Starline brass that hasn’t had anything done to it?
How much are you bumping the shoulder back on fired brass?
Lastly , what is the total runout on your loaded round?

RESISING DIE RCBS SETTING:

Ran the ram up to the top.....screwed the sizing die down to the plate, locked it in with the lock ring.
To eliminate the expander drag affecting shoulder bump.
Remove the expander assembly and set aside. Next set your die to touch the shell holder as you described. Lube a piece of brass that doesn’t chamber and size it. Try it in the rifle. If it doesn’t chamber screw the die down 1/8 of turn until it chambers. It may take a few tries.

Ok I have tried new brass and they don’t chamber consistently.

I can’t take the die apart. Not sure if that’s just because it’s RCBS or if it’s stuck and I didn’t want to wreck it.

Shoulder bump.

I am trying to get my head around this.

Can you explain it please

Sorry I just used to clean my 45-70 brass in my steel pin tumbler

Let them dry

Size them, trim if needed and then run them through my Dillon 550B

After powder measure is set and my bullet seater and crimping die we’re set I could do 100 rounds in about an hour.

I can’t even get two that work in a row with this friggin 243.

Maybe I will just shoot everything with my recurve or the 45-70 ( big girl) and call it good.

Never had so many problems

I even got a case stuck yesterday when I was getting frustrated and forgot to lube the darn thing.

That’s was 2 hours of bliss🤪🤪🤪

Back