hey nosler, next caliber for rifle!!

Yes, the 250-300 Savage would have been so much better and a much better round for a special edition rifle.

jgradyo":1ylypt0u said:
Big Squeeze":1ylypt0u said:
If there are no patents or a proprietary cartridge, then why not go for the Ruger round and offer it??.....Yeah! I know! Maybe alot of bias for the `ol 375 H&H???
I think it is less a matter of legality or bias as it might be one of pride. The .375 Ruger was a joint project of Ruger and Hornady. With so many other good options out there, it would be hard to imagine the Noslers chambering their flagship custom rifle for a cartridge whose history starts with their closest competitor. I couldn't fault that logic, either, if I'm putting myself in their boots.
...................Even though Hornady, a direct competetor of Nosler and Ruger developed the .375 Ruger jointly, the real bottom line IMO and what should matter to Nosler is sales, sales and sales!.......If Nosler wishes to offer only what they consider to be classic cartridges, as opposed to the merits of any newer round, that is all well and good........ But in the case of the 375 Ruger, I think that the Nosler 48`s would sell very well. Nosler offers the WSM`s, do they not? Why? Regardless of whom the developers of the WSM`s were, they offer the WSM`s because of their proven merits and the growing popularity of the shorter action rifles. The WSM`s certainly aren`t classic cartridges...............Setting aside bias, emotion, who developed what and competetion, IMO, a new cartridge offering should be based strictly on the proven merits, popularity or growing popularity of the cartridge alone, and no other reason!...............The .375 Ruger has been successfully developed, refined, tested and has been proven on the ranges and in the hunting fields world-wide. It shoots the same bullets as the 375 H&H, has slighty better ballistics and does so in a shorter 30-06 length action..........So what if the H&H round has 95 years of proven seniority! In todays world, does a fairly new cartridge need years to prove itself to be successful? IMO,,absolutely not!........... Since modern day cartridge designers and developers know already what works and what doesn`t, a round can be developed and refined with specific goals in mind via modern day computers, equipment and design technologies; testing its accuracy, velocities, feeding, extraction, brass, pressures, etc. etc., and/or basically anything else needed to develop, refine and test a round!...... Before 1912, none of this modern day technology existed nor did the modern day propellants and yet look at the success of the H&H round through the nine + decades!........There are those who say that the .375 Ruger still needs to be proven? HOGWASH! BULL-ONEY! Proven to do what? What`s to prove? Given the same tube length and because its casing holds more powder, it shoots the same weight bullets at slightly better velocities than the H&H....... Regardless of the H&H`s 95 year seniority, its great world-wide hunting success and the bias of many towards it, the .375 Ruger is simply a better and more efficient cartridge. It is so, BECAUSE of its modern day development and design............Nosler! If you later chamber the .375 Ruger and offer it in a custom, do so on its proven merits alone!

Steyr-Mannlicher is chambering the .375 Ruger, I handled one at SHOT this year. Even with their .376 Steyr (which has not been promoted or sold well).

I think the point is to spread the capabilities of the rifle, and the .375 Ruger permits hunting dangerous game and fits in a standard length action.

jim

HunterJim":2om90yye said:
Steyr-Mannlicher is chambering the .375 Ruger, I handled one at SHOT this year. Even with their .376 Steyr (which has not been promoted or sold well).

I think the point is to spread the capabilities of the rifle, and the .375 Ruger permits hunting dangerous game and fits in a standard length action.

jim
...............Correct!............And get this too!!.. My dealer who owns 2 of the largest gun stores in the county where I live, can`t keep enough .375 Rugers in stock, Hawkeyes or Alaskans. According to him, they are out-selling all the other rifle brands chambered in the 375 H&H by a 5 to 1 margin!!........That applies to not only to new .375 buyers, but also to EXISTING .375 H&H owners, who are trading in their older 375 H&H`s for the newer Ruger round because they can maintain the same or get better performance and do so from a shorter and in some cases, a lighter package!.............Howa and CZ are joining the 375 Ruger bandwagon. And, there will be others!! The reasons are quite obvious!

[/quote]...............Correct!............And get this too!!.. My dealer who owns 2 of the largest gun stores in the county where I live, can`t keep enough .375 Rugers in stock, Hawkeyes or Alaskans. According to him, they are out-selling all the other rifle brands chambered in the 375 H&H by a 5 to 1 margin!!........That applies to not only to new .375 buyers, but also to EXISTING .375 H&H owners, who are trading in their older 375 H&H`s for the newer Ruger round because they can maintain the same or get better performance and do so from a shorter and in some cases, a lighter package!.............Howa and CZ are joining the 375 Ruger bandwagon. And, there will be others!! The reasons are quite obvious![/quote]

Big Squeeze, what are you going to hunt with your 375 Ruger and where are you going to hunt?

...............Correct!............And get this too!!.. My dealer who owns 2 of the largest gun stores in the county where I live, can`t keep enough .375 Rugers in stock, Hawkeyes or Alaskans. According to him, they are out-selling all the other rifle brands chambered in the 375 H&H by a 5 to 1 margin!!........That applies to not only to new .375 buyers, but also to EXISTING .375 H&H owners, who are trading in their older 375 H&H`s for the newer Ruger round because they can maintain the same or get better performance and do so from a shorter and in some cases, a lighter package!.............Howa and CZ are joining the 375 Ruger bandwagon. And, there will be others!! The reasons are quite obvious![/quote]

Big Squeeze, what are you going to hunt with your 375 Ruger and where are you going to hunt?[/quote]................Over here, the big bears and especially some bison! Never have done a bison hunt. They are great eating........ When time and business permits, I will go to Africa for large plains game as well as the caped buffalo and carry only one rifle, the 375 Ruger! I`ll reload accordingly for the game!..........Locally and only needing a day to do so via my connection, I primarily hunt hogs! Later, I`ll try the .375 Ruger on them too! But in the meantime, my little 300 WSM does quite well on the piggys!

I thought I was alone wanting something like that. The rifle I shoot most often is a .22 Hornet - I'm in groundhog country, and my Ruger and I don't miss much inside 150 yards.

What're you thinking? .257 Roberts? .25-06? .220 Swift? .204 Ruger even?

Seekers of the red mist, chime in!

(BTW, old #7, I read your NCR .280 AI account with great interest. I took delivery of mine just this evening.)

OH Brother would I be tempted to buy a 257 AI in an NCR. Not sure why, but that caliber has held my attention. Not huge like most of my stuff, just different.

CC.

jtoews80":1nd8k2xk said:
I thought I was alone wanting something like that. The rifle I shoot most often is a .22 Hornet - I'm in groundhog country, and my Ruger and I don't miss much inside 150 yards.

What're you thinking? .257 Roberts? .25-06? .220 Swift? .204 Ruger even?

Seekers of the red mist, chime in!

(BTW, old #7, I read your NCR .280 AI account with great interest. I took delivery of mine just this evening.)

OH Brother would I be tempted to buy a 257 AI in an NCR. Not sure why, but that caliber has held my attention. Not huge like most of my stuff, just different.

CC.
Canuck-

(I took the liberty of fixing your quote of my post...)

The .280 AI was (at least in part) done as a tribute to the man/myth/legend P.O. Ackley and all that he's done for shooting and reloading.
I'd be intrigued by another Ackley variant as well just because he almost always improved the capablities of a given cartridge, but if I'm speculating I'd have to think that Nosler's only going to do that once. It was probably a large PITA to do all that work with SAAMI to get the .280 AI adopted; the .257 AI would mean doing it again.

What say you, Nosler? Speak up about the Varmint gun issue. Is there any smallbore enthusiasm out there in Bend? Have you been having any more internal arguments about #4 and #5?

Previously in these posts, I have seen references to the Nosler Custom Rifles as being a series of five. (five different calibres) Is this official or is it something that I have read into the various posts on the subject. Just curious.

By the way have the .270 Winchesters started their run yet?

old gmc.

Dave Regan":2hnccjuj said:
Previously in these posts, I have seen references to the Nosler Custom Rifles as being a series of five. (five different calibres) Is this official or is it something that I have read into the various posts on the subject. Just curious.

By the way have the .270 Winchesters started their run yet?

old gmc.
Yes, it is official - there will be five calibers, 500 rifles each, in the series.

You've obviously read about the .270 being #3, but I think it'll be a while before they deliver any of those. They're still in the thick of delivering the .280 AIs.

#4 and #5 are still up in the air, at least publicly. No announcement that I know of.

I've been trying to bait 'em into discussing which cartridge they'll do next (and last), but they're not biting yet.

I think they should design there own round based off the 6.5x47 lapua or 6.8 rem. Maybe make a family off it such as 22Nosler, 6 nosler, and 30nosler. maybe improve the rounds to add more velocity while keeping a small action and light weight rifle.

Nosler began the series with the .300 WSM, so I don't think they are stuck on ancient classic cartridges. Now when you are building rifles in the 6.5 to 8 mm bore size, they pretty much will all do the same things unless you get really outlandish on cartridge capacity. I understand Nosler making the .280 Ackley their second choice, but those two cartridges perform the same job.

If you are going to have more capability in the line, then two obvious choices are a smaller bore varmint cartridge and a larger bore dangerous game round. Maybe even a varmint to antelope cartridge (my fave for that is the 6mm Rem).

The .375 Ruger is an excellent cartridge, and it is selling more than well -- strong hint follows. ;)

jim

I forgot to add my most recent acquisition is a .300 RCM.

Next caliber needs to be the 6mm Remington! It is fantastic, and since it's big brother (.257 Roberts) is already there, it would be a welcome addition! The 6mm Remington is great from gophers to large mule deer, and even can be used for bigger stuff with good bullets and good bullet placement. Nosler Partitions or E-tips........

I’m not on board with the everyday normal caliber selections whether they are classics or not. One of the reasons I follow/support Nosler is because they choose some odd ball, great caliber selections. The 6.5-284, the 280AI, 260 Rem, etc. I would recommend 25/300 RSAUM, 240 Gibbs, 6.5-06 Ackley, 22-243 Middlestead. Something of this nature. Nosler always backs up their interesting selections by manufacturing top grade (excuse me…trophy grade) ammo.
If people want a .270, they can choose from any rifle manufacturer on the planet…

I think a 25 WSM would be a good choice. Winchester screwed up by making their version the super short. Does it provide something not already covered? Nope, but then what new cartridge has filled a gap?

Back