Hornady 150 SST

orchemo

Handloader
Dec 13, 2006
Midway has seconds of these for a decent price.

Looking for a range bullet for 300-400 yds practice in my 280AI.

Have a 150 E-tip load for hunting that shoots great.

Any other "cheap" 7mm bullets for moderate range work people suggest.

Accurate and cheap preferred.

I have been using the hornady 150 eldx in my 280ai for range and hunting. It has proven to be highly effective on red deer doing a complete pass through on shoulder shots at ranges from 75 to slightly more than 400 yards. It is also nice and accurate, good BC and I like to practice with what I hunt with. (Absolutely understand that some premium bullets make this damn costly though).

SST is a good bullet when they get out there aways , close up at high speed they’re little grenades. For practicing cheap is good.

When the SST first came they were just like the first Ballistic Tips. Very frangible. Hornady, like Nosler "toughened" up those bullets.

I have found right the opposite with your "grenade" comment. I have also found that the SST acts pretty much the same way as the lead tipped versions of the same weight when driven at the same velocities. However, as with any bullet weird things can happen when bullets encounter substantial bone sometimes.

I use the 154 gr SST in my 280 and have shot deer as close as 20 yds and have not any more damage than I would have had with any other 150 gr bullet.

I use the 154 gr SST in my 280 and have shot deer as close as 20 yds and have not any more damage than I would have had with any other 150 gr bullet.

My son shot a buck on the shoulder at 50yds with the 117gr SST out of his 257 Wby little over 3300 fps resulting in surface blow up. No penetration to speak of. Your 280 is probably 400 fps slower and 37 grains heavier will result in better penetration. I switch him to 120gr Federal Fusion I picked up and never looked back.

My son shot a buck on the shoulder at 50yds with the 117gr SST out of his 257 Wby little over 3300 fps resulting in surface blow up. No penetration to speak of. Your 280 is probably 400 fps slower and 37 grains heavier will result in better penetration. I switch him to 120gr Federal Fusion I picked up and never looked back.

117 gr SST bullet at 3300 fps with impact at 50 yds, is that actually a bullet problem or a bullet being used outside it's design parameters

I have heard, but don't know from my own experience, the SST's have been toughened up in the past few years.

I wasn't a fan of the early ones myself.

Back