Howa 1500 Tikka T3x LIte

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
I'm torn between these two -06 rifles. A Tikka T3x-Lite and a Howa 1500 Hunter. Both are at a local dealer and new in box. The Tikka is standard blue and syn stock and the Howa has a walnut stock, which goes in the Pro column for me, and threaded muzzle. The Tikka is a few bucks more, but not enough to sway the decision one way or another. Both shoulder and feel "right" . I do like the Tikka trigger a bit better, but I think its because I'm just not accustomed to the 2 stage Howa. I do have some concerns about the thumping the Tikka Lite in 30-06 will generate. I have two other Tikka rifles and really like them both, and they are both capable of sub MOA performance, and can't see any reason why the -06 wouldn't also be capable. Howa has a sub MOA guarantee, So it appears both are equally capable of good accuracy. I'm calling upon the Brain Trust here for some more input, both pro and con, because I can't nail down a decision. (talk about a 1st world problem)

What a great problem! I shouldn't think that you would go wrong with either. Granted, I'm decidedly old-fashion, so the walnut stock would go a long way in helping me make my decision. With a proper butt pad, recoil on the Tikka shouldn't be a problem.

Guess this should have been in the Rifle section, maybe a Mod will move it.

What a great problem! I shouldn't think that you would go wrong with either. Granted, I'm decidedly old-fashion, so the walnut stock would go a long way in helping me make my decision. With a proper butt pad, recoil on the Tikka shouldn't be a problem.
One other factor is the Tikka has a 1:11 twist rater than a 1:10. I assume there is a reason, but I can't figure out what it is. Most likely it won't be an issue unless I want to step into the long, heavy, pointy bullets over 200gr.

Rifling twist can sometimes be a mystery. I have a .308Win. with a 1 in 12" twist that will put 180 gr. spitzers into nice tight groups. I also have two rifles in 30-06 that have 1 in 12" twists. One, a custom based on an FN Mauser action will not give any kind of a pattern that one could call a group using 180 gr. spitzers. The other, a Husqvarna Mauser with factory 1 in 12" twist barrel may or may not give a decent group with that type bullet. Due to various medical problems I haven't been able to shoot much since January 2020 and only recently had that barreled action place into a stock.
Based on the admittedly limited testing I'd go with the rifle with the 1 in 10" twist, especially if 180 gr. and heavier bullets my be planned.
Paul B.

I have 8 Howa/Vangurads and my son has 4 more , what I tell you they are outstanding rifles. Now I will admit I never fired a Tikka only read about them.

I have upwards of 20 Tikkas (family members own some too that push the number closer to 30). One is a 30-06 that is a Cabelas ultralight exclusive version. I have not had any undue issues with recoil but experimented and found a Limbsaver recoil pad does reduce it.
I haven't tried (no need to) any 180+ bullets but 125s and 150s were sub moa with little to no effort. For the whitetails I hunt these filled the bill.
I have only owned/used one Howa (Weatherby Vanguard) and had no issues with it. I sold it to a family member only because I preferred the Tikkas.

Ron

I've no experience with either so you might want to throw my opinion out, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid of either based on no shortage of praise by others for both.

For me I'd lean towards the Howa. I believe they would run right with a Tikka on quality and accuracy based on accounts. They do that while generally running a good bit less cost. I'd also be swayed by the wood stock given your choices. They are a bit heavy........the synthetic version in short action is shown at 7.8 lbs. Don't know what the long action weighs but that weight wouldn't bother me when using a 30-06.

Seems like the slower twist for the 06 is a European thing for whatever reason. My Sauer 101 is also a 1:11 twist. I'd imagine that will still be fine all but for the really long stuff.

Decisions, decisions. Buy both and give us a detailed Pro/Con list for each. (y):D

I think, and just because I’m wanting something new, I’m leaning toward the Howa. I have Tikkas and like them, but the whole point was to get something new/different. I love chocolate pudding, and will never turn it down, but I’m real glad I strayed and tried butterscotch 😂

I think, and just because I’m wanting something new, I’m leaning toward the Howa. I have Tikkas and like them, but the whole point was to get something new/different. I love chocolate pudding, and will never turn it down, but I’m real glad I strayed and tried butterscotch 😂
There you go. You just answered yourself. Go with the Howa. Let us know how it shoots. Dan.

Uh..... this, but a good problem to have, let us know how it goes. CL

Well, folks. I'm the proud owner of the Howa/Legacy 1500 Hunter. Hopefully when I finish up with the mine and my son in law's two 6.5 PRC's and then my daughters 7-08 with ELD-X, and finalize my buddy's '06 with the 178 ELD-X, I'll get to do some work with this '06

Congratulations. That should make you a good rifle. Let us know how it performs for you when you start putting it through its paces. What bullet weights are you planning on working with?

Back