Hunting rifle range session

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
After six months of shooting no center fire rifles, while recovering from neck surgery... I got the .30-06 out to the 300 yard range today.

Shot from sitting, no support other than the sling wrapped around my arm:

Very little wind today, warm, 80 degrees:

Cold bore and next four shots. The cold bore and two others are in the "A-zone" and I pulled two shots right and low.

Rifle is a Remington 700 CDL, free-floated and nicely bedded, trigger set at 3 pounds. The scope is an old 2-7x Redfield. Set at 6x, and zeroed at 200 yards. Used my standard .30-06 load: 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, over a healthy dose of H4350 for 2850 fps.

These things were very clear to me:

1. This is the most recoil my new neck can handle, for now. Ruled out using my .300 WSM for this year's hunting and the mere thought of torching off the .375 scared me! :shock:

2. Knowledge of marksmanship didn't go away, but my skills have deteriorated a bit, despite doing a lot of pistol shooting, and a tiny bit of .22 rifle shooting. I wasn't even allowed to dry fire for months, as the surgeon didn't want me in a rifle shooting position... And yeah, he knows what he's talking about being both a very good surgeon and an experienced shooter.

3. The rifle, scope and load remained true! This makes me so happy! After setting up my target, I sat down on the mat, wrapped the old leather sling around my left arm then:

Breathe
Relax
Aim
Sights
Squeeze

First round hit smack in the A-zone as intended! (y)

I managed to drop a couple out to the right, but also put a couple more in the A-Zone. It was a very gratifying start to the range session.

Looks like I'm hunting elk with the .30-06 this year, which is just fine with me. It's a good cartridge, and a good rifle.

Enjoy your range time, and your hunting time all!

Guy

Welcome back! :)

Happy to see the ministrations of the healers have had the desired effect.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Excellent and encouraging post, Guy. Good to see you back in the sling (so to speak).

You guys don't know how tempted I was to just photograph those tight three, at 300 yards, from sitting... :grin: In the interests of maintaining integrity, I took a photo of the first five shots... Sigh...

Yep Guy, your the one when comes to grabbing a rifle, taking a sitting position and hitting what your shooting at. I,m not sure 300 even challenges your ability. Nice shooten and enjoy the hunt.

Good to see Guy.
Nice shooting especially after the layoff.
Be careful of the neck.
Looks like the 30-06 is elk ready.

I may go with the 165 Partitions - they've proven almost as accurate as the Ballistic Tips, and I've got a mess of 'em on a shelf here at home.

Have to admit that I'm deliberately shying away from the 180's a bit... I've always been able to feel the difference in recoil, but never really minded much in the past. Really feel like the 165's at 2850 are about my limit for now.

That's hard to admit after being the guy who was taking the .375 H&H out for casual plinking sessions, and even shot a rockchuck with it!

Guy

Guy- Glad to hear (and see) that you have healed up well. We can tell it was fun for you to be back "in the sling". Keep shooting.... CL

Those 165's at 2850 will handle any MT Emily bull just fine.

Your going to have a blast. I'm jealous as heck.

Guy, glad to hear you were able to get out and shoot after such a "compulsory drought."

As you undoubtedly know, a .30-06 is plenty of gun for an elk. The 165 Partition is my go-to elk bullet in the .30-06. I like the looks of your 700 CDL even though I am a "Winchester" man.

Your marksmanship at 300 yards proves you are more than ready to take her out elk hunting.

Best of luck to you Guy. We all expect more pictures of course.

-Dale

Guy I have two bad disc in my neck and when I shot my 300Wby it would cause my eyes to blur. Never had that problem from recoil before and sold the Wby.

Good call TD. No need to go blind just to shoot a big rifle... Yikes! :shock:

Guy

Nice shooting Guy! No need to beat yourself up with a big gun... a 165 at 2850 will KO an elk!

I'm spending more time with the .270 and 7-08 these days myself.

Does that CDL come with a 24" tube? That's the only thing I have ever had against Remington rifles is that they should put a 24" tube on their .30-06 and .270 caliber rifles.

I will be carrying alongside Guy, the same vintage 7mm Mag, in ADL. I am not prepared to step up to the 300 Win Mag, as yet. I think the shoulder will take it especially with the Past Pad, but I am not mentally ready for it. The 7mm, is good to go out to 600 or so, everything will be fine.

Bill its funny you mention the 7mm Rem Mag in the last message. I was talking to a younger hunter the other day about this very thing. He has Magnumitis badly and wanted to get a .300 Win Mag as his first rifle. I was trying to steer him towards a .30-06. We were able to compromise in agreeing on a 7mm Rem Mag. I feel like it kicks appreciably less than a .300 Win Mag or even the WSM for that matter. Recoil is always an issue with powerful rifles.

Those older Remington 700's in 7mm Rem Mag are really nice rifles. While they weigh a little more than some want to carry, they shoot really straight and the kick is about like that of a .30-06 with heavy loads.

Good luck to you and Guy! Looking forward to pictures of the elk-slaying!

Well done Guy! After having a pinched nerve in my neck this past winter, I sure can feel the difference between full speed '06 loads and 308 loads. 165 gr 30-06 loads are tolerable and that's what I'll likely hunt with this year. But those 125 gr 308 loads are down right fun to shoot. I may end up using those too at some point. Take it easy on your neck. Have a good hunting season. A 30-06 with 165 gr partitions is never a bad choice.

Back