IN MARCH - 340 Weatherby Magnum

OldMan":amalludt said:
I chrono'd a 338/378 wby with 225 grain factory loads that went a touch over 3000 fps in a Mark V. My 340 went 3100 with 225's, maybe that's why it kicked so bad! Used 8mm Rem Mag brass just run through the die and trimmed, no pressure signs at all and great groups. Kicked so bad it was ruining my eyes. (detached retina) The guy I sold it to finally put a brake on it because it was smacking him between the eyes. The guy is a friend of mine and still has the gun. (He wouldn't sell it for any price!) For some reason the Ultra Mags I've shot don't kick as bad as the Wby's.????

The 338/378 is in a class of its own not only in ballistics and powder charges but in brutal recoil. The 340Wby's I have shot in the past with no muzzle brakes do not kick like 338/378 at all. The 338Rum will kick harder than a 340Wby just due to the extra powder charge much less the stock designs on non Weatherby rifles.

YoteSmoker":27dluc7e said:
JD, give yourself a 300 yd zero. It will tell the other deer in the herd to "Phone home".

Yote,
I have M1 dials on the Mark 4 scope so all I have to do is "dial" long distance! :lol:
Remaining ft lbs energy at 600 yds is 2303 FWIW.

JD338

bullet":3nnvjcxs said:
Will have a custom 340 Weatherby Magnum on the way some time this coming March of 2010.

1. It will be a German Mark V receiver with a 26" #2 Krieger Stainless barrel chambered in 340Wby with no muzzle brake.

2. It will have a McMillian stock (Green) and bedded to fit the #2 contour of the Krieger barrel.

3. The older style of Wheaterby trigger will be replaced with a Timney trigger and adjusted to no less that 2 1/2 pounds and no more than 3 pounds.

4. The receiver will be refinished as well as the bolt.

5. It will have Talley bases and rings.

I have not decided what scope or power to put on it yet.
...........................Bullet!........I hate to throw a wrench into your plans for a 340 Wby, (like an Evenrude in a septic tank???), but are you keeping or selling your 338 WM Hawkeye?

If you`re selling it, I can understand the upgrade to a custom 340. But if you`re not, that`s alot of money to spend for another rifle in the same caliber to gain 100-200 fps or so???

Assuming you are going to keep the 338, what are you going to do with a 340 Wby, that you cannot already do with your 338 WM?

Because of your recent postings about the merits of the 338 WM, I was just a little curious as to your addition next March of a 340 Wby.

I had two Triumph 750's one was stock the other a custom. I would ride them at different times for slightly different reasons but I kept both of them.

I have decided that my 338Win will be used for dangerous game and thicker cover because of the controlled feed aspect of my Ruger M77, while I will use the Mark V 340Wby for long shots and wide open spaces because it will do this better. The 340Wby will also work better for me just shooting long range targets for the fun of it.

The Ruger will be easier to carry being shorter that the Mark V so it will also be the rifle I carry when hunting unknown ground or woods and when walking around or scouting. It will also be the back up for my 340Wby when I go to Arizona hunting or any such adventure. That is the most explaining of my personal feelings about guns to anyone in a long time. It is what it is!!!!

My baby!

PICT0757.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... 7873876523

bullet":2wsc1jfq said:
I had two Triumph 750's one was stock the other a custom. I would ride them at different times for slightly different reasons but I kept both of them.

I have decided that my 338Win will be used for dangerous game and thicker cover because of the controlled feed aspect of my Ruger M77, while I will use the Mark V 340Wby for long shots and wide open spaces because it will do this better. The 340Wby will also work better for me just shooting long range targets for the fun of it.

The Ruger will be easier to carry being shorter that the Mark V so it will also be the rifle I carry when hunting unknown ground or woods and when walking around or scouting. It will also be the back up for my 340Wby when I go to Arizona hunting or any such adventure. That is the most explaining of my personal feelings about guns to anyone in a long time. It is what it is!!!!
...............I compren--daaaay!!!

bullet":224ubtqp said:
OldMan":224ubtqp said:
I chrono'd a 338/378 wby with 225 grain factory loads that went a touch over 3000 fps in a Mark V. My 340 went 3100 with 225's, maybe that's why it kicked so bad! Used 8mm Rem Mag brass just run through the die and trimmed, no pressure signs at all and great groups. Kicked so bad it was ruining my eyes. (detached retina) The guy I sold it to finally put a brake on it because it was smacking him between the eyes. The guy is a friend of mine and still has the gun. (He wouldn't sell it for any price!) For some reason the Ultra Mags I've shot don't kick as bad as the Wby's.????

The 338/378 is in a class of its own not only in ballistics and powder charges but in brutal recoil. The 340Wby's I have shot in the past with no muzzle brakes do not kick like 338/378 at all. The 338Rum will kick harder than a 340Wby just due to the extra powder charge much less the stock designs on non Weatherby rifles.
Don't bet on the 338 Ultra kicking more than the 340, the ones I've shot didn't even with more powder and velocity! Maybe my 340 was an exception but it out kicked anything else I ever shot.

OldMan":oxv3xb18 said:
bullet":oxv3xb18 said:
OldMan":oxv3xb18 said:

Don't bet on the 338 Ultra kicking more than the 340, the ones I've shot didn't even with more powder and velocity! Maybe my 340 was an exception but it out kicked anything else I ever shot.

My guess is stock design more than anything else.

JD338

No it is not me but is is a Hayabusa 1300 Suzuki doing it.

Final Component Adjustment

I have decided to use the following components when my custom 340Wby arrives.

Powders - IMR4350, IMR7828, H4350, H4831, RL-22, RL-25

Bullets - Sierra 215gr GK, Sierra 250gr GK, Hornady 200gr SST, Nosler 200gr Acc, Nosler 210gr Partition, Nosler 250gr Partition, Nosler 250gr AccuBond.

Brass - Weatherby

Primers - Fed 215, CCI250, Rem 9 1/2M

bullet,

I am sure you will find a couple good loads with that assortment of components.

Looking forward to March-April. :grin:

JD338

JD338":1ns2qn1y said:
bullet,

I am sure you will find a couple good loads with that assortment of components.

Looking forward to March-April. :grin:

JD338

Yeah, me to JD :)

I don't like brag,but the 340 is an awesome rig.I shot a bull this past fall using 225 ab at 450yds. and dropped him in his tracks.Of course I didn't see it,but my son did.
I also believe in the vx iii 4.5x14x40 Boone and crocket reticle.I live within 80 miles of the factory so i'm kind of prejudice.Get a RX iv boone and crocket rangefinder and it will tell you what the true ballistic range is.It will also show you where to holdover for.Pull the trigger and boom out goes the lights. 8) 8)

With that many components and combinations I wonder what year in March you will have found your load....just kidding, have fun.

After using the above components I will work with 225gr Patition and AccuBond and also MRP powder with 210g, 215gr, 225gr and 250gr bullets.

Back