IN MARCH - 340 Weatherby Magnum

If you run both at equal pressures, the 338 RUM will out run the 340 Weatherby. Weatherby runs their factory loads to higher pressures than Remington, particularly due to Weatherby using the better Norma brass.
The RUM falls into the rules of diminishing returns and is not very efficient. High performance has its trade offs.
My 250 gr PT load avg MV is 3024 fps and I am still 2.4 grs below Hodgdon's published MAX. I loaded for accuracy and longer case life with somewhat lower pressures.
Either one will do the job with authority!

JD338

I can't imagine that there is too much game that can tell the difference between being shot with a 340 Wby and a 338 RUM. Either will give a real thump to game.

I can't see anything walking away from either round! That is alot of power, no matter how you put it. I like my 338 WM and it is a baby compared to your WBY and UM rounds. I think the 250 at over 2700 is pretty awesome power. I couldn't imagine getting over 3000 with the same bullet. I think we are so far ahead of our fathers who were pretty happy to use a 30-06 with a 180 or a 270 with a 150 and thought they were shooting the best thing going.

JD accuracy with his UM is on par with an accurate 22-250 with over 2 tons of juice. That is awesome in my book.

Mike, I can't wait to see what you do with your 340. Hopefully it shoots to your standards. You always find a few loads that are pretty awesome. Scotty

beretzs":1e0ovjkn said:
I can't see anything walking away from either round! That is alot of power, no matter how you put it. I like my 338 WM and it is a baby compared to your WBY and UM rounds. I think the 250 at over 2700 is pretty awesome power. I couldn't imagine getting over 3000 with the same bullet. I think we are so far ahead of our fathers who were pretty happy to use a 30-06 with a 180 or a 270 with a 150 and thought they were shooting the best thing going.

JD accuracy with his UM is on par with an accurate 22-250 with over 2 tons of juice. That is awesome in my book.

Mike, I can't wait to see what you do with your 340. Hopefully it shoots to your standards. You always find a few loads that are pretty awesome. Scotty

Yes, that is the question, will it shoot to my expectations and standard of accuracy that makes it acceptable to me. I sure hope so, but it will be another adventure for me as I take another journey with a hunting rifle that will go to the field and have to prove it's worth. :)

JD338":3uh211k1 said:
If you run both at equal pressures, the 338 RUM will out run the 340 Weatherby. Weatherby runs their factory loads to higher pressures than Remington, particularly due to Weatherby using the better Norma brass.
The RUM falls into the rules of diminishing returns and is not very efficient. High performance has its trade offs.
My 250 gr PT load avg MV is 3024 fps and I am still 2.4 grs below Hodgdon's published MAX. I loaded for accuracy and longer case life with somewhat lower pressures.
Either one will do the job with authority!

JD338

Yes, Weatherby does and can as well as the handloader for three other reasons besides the Norma brass and that is the Mark V action, freebore, and the double radius shoulder.

What does the double radius shoulder do? I was always told that Roy incorporated that into his cartridges in order to have a little propriety in his rifle and cartridge line. Being that is made it more expensive to actually buy a chambering die. If it does really do something, how does it work. I always really wondered about the double radius shoulder. Scotty

beretzs":2yb2xofc said:
What does the double radius shoulder do? I was always told that Roy incorporated that into his cartridges in order to have a little propriety in his rifle and cartridge line. Being that is made it more expensive to actually buy a chambering die. If it does really do something, how does it work. I always really wondered about the double radius shoulder. Scotty

From my experience, I have experience less pressure issues but it is more involved than that. I will try and explain it later when I have more time, I have got to go somewhere the evening.

Back