INTRODUCING Accubond Long Range

Ridgerunner665":15sgcyq2 said:
I've been shooting Noslers long enough to be able to say this I think...and I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, I just believe in saying what you mean, meaning what you say, and trying not to be mean saying it...simple as that.

I'll bet a weeks pay the BC's are wrong, I knew it as soon as I looked at them...I have no idea where Nosler comes up with their numbers but I feel I can safely say its NOT by shooting them.

I've never known a Nosler bullet to meet its advertised BC...not a single one.

I am so very happy that Nosler decided to offer these bullets, and even with the inaccurate BC's...they're still the best thing going for their intended purpose...and I mean that.

But Nosler "should" realize the market they're aiming for with these...and who their competition is and what they offer (accurate bullets, accurate BC's)...if they want these new bullets to get going without getting bogged down by bad reviews from inaccurate drop data...they really "need" to find a way to get their BC's accurate....OR....just plain admit that they are only predicted BC's and let the user go into this with their eyes wide open and no great expectations....all that is to say, I REALLY want these bullets to be the greatest thing since sliced bread!

And its not only Nosler...all bullet manufacturers except Berger have this problem.

But I don't really care about "other" bullet makers...I'm a dedicated Nosler guy and I'm not changing....I'm just trying to make a point here...that these bullets would get past their "growing pains" much faster if the customers buying them had realistic expectations as far as range cards go...I believe the terminal performance WILL be there.

But, I'm just a truck driver...not a sales rep...so what do I know...except that nobody wants these bullets to succeed worse than me.

Respectfully and sincerely,
Ridgerunner665
I've been doing this stuff since 1981, I firmly believe that on any given day the BC of any bullet will be different if fired in any 2 given rifles side by side. like I said only one published BC was even close, here are a couple examples
since 2006 I have shot the nosler 160 AccuBond in my 7mm AM, published BC is .531, I'm always 1/4 to 1/2 moa high with my charts unless I run a BC of .62, then I'm dead on till last year, bought a new lot of bullets and was hitting low till I dropped the BC to .58.
berger 140's in my 6.5 were high until I used a BC of .7, they're published BC was .64
tried the 160 accubonds with the G7 BC that brian emailed me.....my charts weren't even close
I checked the MV down to the instant the bullet left the muzzle, verified all conditions on several different occasions and was still hitting high at all ranges to 830 yards.
will never rely on preset bc's again I'll figure my own, it ain't hard.
RR

nvbroncrider":dvwpx98e said:
Awesome shooting Rommel.
Thanks NV. After 2 years of being kick around, I was able to break through. I was the 2012 Southern Cal overall champion.

Desert Fox":2trb7eir said:
nvbroncrider":2trb7eir said:
Awesome shooting Rommel.
Thanks NV. After 2 years of being kick around, I was able to break through. I was the 2012 Southern Cal overall champion.

And you have every reason to be pleased. Hard work has produced some excellent results, Rommel.

I have not had the problem with the jbm ballistics being that far off at distance. the 22x47 lapua with an 80 grain jlk been spot on, I was shooting the 1170 steel target on my range with it last week and it seemed to be working fine. Doesn't matter either way as long as you found something you have confidence in. good shooting champ, now you can start shooting tactical and precision rifle matches, that will exploit any discrepancies in your dope card.

Ridge runner, 300 win, good posts. I am glad someone had the time and info.to post the gospel.
I am not ripping on nosler and I hope the .bc values are close to what they.are claiming, I just noticed a few of the numbers being oddly high.
My 300 Norma build is finally done and will be here on Tuesday, I will be running a 230 grain Berger hybrid and the 215 hybrid initially and will determine what bullet I am going to use after doing so. I will keep you guy posted on what I find.

The .277cal ALR bullet has been Godsend. I don´t know for how many years I have wondered why this kind of bullet hasn´t been "printed" yet..anyway it´s here. Let´s see how it will do. I have a Lilja barreled .270Wea which is quit particular in bullets. Only one bullet works so far.. Nosler Par 150grain. The ballistictip by Nosler and Hornadys bullets(all) doesn´t group well.

Anyway. Great forum. Happy to be onboard :grin:

Nice to have you aboard sir. You're among friends. I truly hope the 150 LAB will work wonders for you

300winmag,

That was educational...

I just ordered me another chrono...from now on I'll use 2 chronos and test to 300 yards, and maybe even use Sierra's trick and use reduced loads to get a lower velocity BC.

I always figured different rifles had at least some effect on BC, if for no other reason than just the difference in the rifling and the way it engraves the bullets.

Nosler...I owe you an apology for some of what I said in that last long winded post I made. :oops:

I didn't quite finish reading all of that Litz writeup, I've been up several hours too long already...I'll finish it in a few hours.

I also want to try the 6.5mm 129 gr ALR in my 6.5 JDJ and the 7mm 150 gr ALR in my 7x30 Waters.
These should work well at the lower handgun velocities.

JD338

Soon as I see then show up at Cabelas I'll start testing the 6.5mm 129 ALR in my 6.5x47 Lapua. My little Pierce rifle shoots the 130 VLD, 130 AB and 127 LRX very well. It would be nice to have an AB with a BC similar to the VLD shooting in my rifle.

Under hunting conditions they stack up as follows at 800 yds.

Berger 130 VLD = 130" drop/33" wind
Barnes 127 LRX = 152" drop/43" wind
Nosler 130 AB = 168" drop/42" wind
Nosler 127 ALR= 140" drop/34" wind

The VLD looks so good because it's running 100 fps faster at the muzzle. It does have a short bearing surface which means less pressure which means faster velocities.

But, as I've done, seen and read, numerous folks load two bullets for the same hunting trip. One for long ranges so something like a VLD, SST, Amax, etc will expand easily and something tough so close shots don't explode and ruin lots of meat. Shouldn't happen with an ALR!!!!

Alan

You know you are a damned junkie when after multiple days of reading this thread.. checking gunbroker... coming back to this thread and looking at the BCs... and checking gunbroker...

You find yourself the proud owner of a 7mm STW, just to play around with a high BC bullet that isn't even on the market yet. I need to get my head examined.

Seriously, I need to take up drugs, strippers or race cars or something, they would be less addicting and cheaper in the long run.

Now to call up redhawk and get a stock on order, followed by a trigger.

You know... At least here you guys understand...

- A new rifle that does nothing significantly better than the hunting rifles I already own
- That the fact it may only be a 1000 round barrel is ok... because then I just get to put on a custom
- That I'm ok with having to stock more brass and another set of dies..

At least I already have a good selection of 7mm bullets thanks to the 7mm08 and the 7mm RM.

AzDak42":czcdvwla said:
You know you are a damned junkie when after multiple days of reading this thread.. checking gunbroker... coming back to this thread and looking at the BCs... and checking gunbroker...

You find yourself the proud owner of a 7mm STW, just to play around with a high BC bullet that isn't even on the market yet. I need to get my head examined.

Seriously, I need to take up drugs, strippers or race cars or something, they would be less addicting and cheaper in the long run.

Now to call up redhawk and get a stock on order, followed by a trigger.

You know... At least here you guys understand...

- A new rifle that does nothing significantly better than the hunting rifles I already own
- That the fact it may only be a 1000 round barrel is ok... because then I just get to put on a custom
- That I'm ok with having to stock more brass and another set of dies..

At least I already have a good selection of 7mm bullets thanks to the 7mm08 and the 7mm RM.

Sweet! I got a feeling that may start spreading to other members very soon!

Any real world testing on these bullets yet? I'm still skeptical of a tanget Ogive with a claimed BC that high? Could they be some type of a hybrid Ogive? The barnes LRX tried to play this same game and those didnt turn out so well either you dont hear to many people bragging about those bullets like they do about Bergers. I am not knocking Nosler this bullet should be AWESOME to say the least but I still think real world testing on the BC and expansion is going to be needed.

Back