Jetboil

sask boy":2xndnzn5 said:
Look forward to your report Vince, I am thinking about one for Ice fishing this coming winter I could heat up some soup real quick with one of those gizmos 8).

Blessings,
Dan

They are GREAT for soup Dan. Don't forget about the MSR stoves either. Really good pieces of gear for that sorta cooking.

Same style as the Jetboil, MSR is a brand name. If you google MSR pocket rocket you will see one of their stoves.

My MSR is a Whisper Lite I think. Can't remember the exact model, but I will pull it out and get a couple of pictures. It is made a little more for cooking and boiling water. Very good on fuel usage when used correctly, and puts out alot of heat.

I've been using the MSR Whisperlite for a long time now. Great stove. Fires up and goes even when cold and at elevation where the canister stoves don't usually perform.

Had the good old Svea 123 back, long ago. I think it's still out in the garage. Came across it seven or eight years ago, filled it with white gas and it fired right up. Managing that stove was a bit of an art, but it worked fine and saw me through many backpacking trips.

Replaced it with the MSR stove, maybe 12 years ago I'm thinking. It really is a great stove. Fires up fast, puts out a lot of heat, doesn't really use a lot of fuel. It too has a few quirks, but they're worth dealing with for the fast, sure heat. On a cold, wet night in the mountains, the muted roar of that little stove lets me know that hot chow is coming quick. That's a comfort for sure.

Guy

Guy Miner":31b0lzzo said:
On a cold, wet night in the mountains, the muted roar of that little stove lets me know that hot chow is coming quick. That's a comfort for sure.

Guy

That is the TRUTH right there. Nothing like getting back to camp, sparking the stove and getting some hot chow going after being soaked all day!

FYI the Snow Peak Gigga Power stove works very well as well. I have made four back packing trips with this stove and love it.

Cool Scotty, I look forward to researching the MSR on the net :wink:.
Thanks for the info!!
Blessings,
Dan

I'm happy to report that the Jetboil works as advertised.

I had hot soup today while out scouting.

Vince":6vcnks7g said:
I'm happy to report that the Jetboil works as advertised.

I had hot soup today while out scouting.

The ignition on the Jetboil is very good. Glad you had some soup buddy!

I think I made the right choice given that, upon reflection, 99.9% of the time all I ever do is boil water.

When I'm backpacking or hunting, and not in camp, I eat dehydrated meals. The Jetboil was made for folks like me, simple, not too adventurous in regards to cooking, and easy. When I cook, in camp, I favor cast iron and a fire, but use a propane stove a lot for ease of use, and will make more elaborate fare. In the backcountry I want it easy, simple, and lightweight.

I'll get a Whisperlight if I ever decide to do more than boil water.

I know a couple guys that use them and really like em. I'm a big MSR fan and use the the Winpro stove. We use a lot of freeze dried meals out west.

After my recent coues hunt I'm happy to say that I made a great choice.
The Jetboil works great and even my hunting partner commented on it and plans to buy one. I used it every night for four days to boil water for hot chocolate or coffee after dinner. I really like the efficiency, compactness, and light weight. I'm still on the first fuel canister but have a couple of spares handy so I'm good to go.
This is one item that's found a home.

Was reading an article on MEATEATER and he carries both the jet boil and the MSR Lite but he also eats Yote :shock:

I've got to tell you, I really love my jetboil. It's very light, boils water in a flash, gets a lot of use out of just one cart, and stows nicely in it's own cup for protection. Used with mountain house meals, it helps keep my backcountry loadout nice and light. It's also added insurance against hypothermia if you got into a real pickle in the cold. It is a very good feeling when you hear it light off after a long day in the woods.
Joe

EOD Diver":11mofdfz said:
I've got to tell you, I really love my jetboil. It's very light, boils water in a flash, gets a lot of use out of just one cart, and stows nicely in it's own cup for protection. Used with mountain house meals, it helps keep my backcountry loadout nice and light. It's also added insurance against hypothermia if you got into a real pickle in the cold. It is a very good feeling when you hear it light off after a long day in the woods.
Joe

Joe,

The Jetboil is one of those products you wonder how you lived without after using one. :grin:

Vince

Some of my chums that did NSW pumps turned me onto it. I hate to admit that EOD learned something from the frogs, but the truth is the truth. I love just boiling water and pouring it in a pouch. When I'm done I press all the air out of the pouch and throw it in large ziplock with the others (pack it in n pack it out). The only thing I need to clean is my spork. There are no dishes to wash or plates/cups to carry and the jetboil stays clean as a whistle :grin:. I've got to tell you that I feel pretty swank drinking hot tea at dawn above tree line while glassing! It also gives me redundancy. If my water purifier quits and my iodine tablets get lost, then I can boil up some water and be safe. One is none. Two is actually one, right? A kid from our town died from giardia after drinking from a high mountain stream. I don't mess with untreated water, no matter how high up I am.
Joe

Giardia is endemic in these mountains. Let me tell you from experience, it is no joke. Purifying water is a must.

Back