Knock around scope

G

A friend of mine asked my opinion on optics the other day (he didn't know what he was getting in to) regarding a really cheap scope that is decent quality for a "knock around gun" that would be used by people hunting on his property who are new to the sport or unable to bring their own weapon. He has a 270Win (just about a perfect north Alabama knock around caliber) in a Remington ADL synthetic that he just doesn't use much, and this idea came up. Anyway, I suggested the Bushnell Elite 3200 (which I suggest a lot when someone mentions an inexpensve scope) and he said he wanted something cheaper, around $100-150. I just don't know what to suggest to him. We looked through his Cabela's catalog at the Bushnell Trophy and Banner scopes, but in some models, eye relief is short (3" max). Tasco is in the same situation, and doesn't offer much in the way of optical quality these days. Nikon's Prostaff seems like a possibility, though at the top of his price range. Bushnell's Legend series also seems like it would work at that same price point. Anybody have a scope in this price range that they'd like to comment on?

I have used the Pro Staff Nikon and for the money, it is a great scope. I really like mine on my muzzleloader.

dubyam

I understand your friends concept but he should also consider this-
How well is a cheap scope going to hold up and will it maintain its zero?
It would be a shame to sour a new hunter to our sport due to a scope malfunction.
Think about it, the new hunter does everything right-
sight picture, breath control, trigger squeeze, perfect hold on the game animal and the bullet ends up in the guts resulting in a lost animal.
Just something to think about......

I think your suggestion with the Bushnell 3200 is a good one.:wink:

JD338

Take a look at the Pentax Gameseeker line. They will make the price point.

I tested a 3-9X40, and it seemed sturdy (at least I didn't break it). I shot it on a .280. Send it back if it breaks, and Pentax will take care of it. Cameraland NY has good prices on them, and they stand behind their sales.

http://www.cameralandny.com/

jim

Burris fulfield, Nikon prostaff, Sightron SI or SII.

Of course Leupold is the first recommendation... with that said.....
Don't over-look the Cabela's Alaskan Guide... they are phasing out the old ones ( huge deals to be had on remaining stock ) and bringing new ones in....I have two that I've used in the past...one bouncing around on an ATV in the rock piles.. the other on a .300RUM. No issues at all....and have performed as expected for the price.

I am saving my pennies for a vx-II. That said, last summer I found a weaver Grand Slam dirt cheap and eventually returned it because side by side I couldnt see any difference between it and my Bushnell Trophy that shoots sub inch groups. I have a bushnell sharpshooter on my 12 gauge slug gun that has over 300 rnds through it and still holds a zero. However, my next scope for the slug gun will be a Nikon Pro staff. Have heard good things just wat to try them out. and they qualify as somthing I can afford. CL

I've picked up several used fixed-power Leupold scopes over the years - used - for around $150 each. Grabbed a 2.5x, a couple of 4x's and a 6x that way. They are all dandy scopes. Check pawn shops, gun shops with secondhand rifles... Leupold's warranty still works even if you buy a used one.

Nikon Buckmasters scopes can take a hard hit. I fell down with all my weight on my rifle and scope (6'1" 235) and still held its zero :grin:. I think Nikon should work just fine all for just 200 for the 3x9.

For a Knock around, I like the Leupold Rifleman. If your going to Knock it around, might as well have a good warrenty.

Antelope_Sniper":ky4ryda9 said:
For a Knock around, I like the Leupold Rifleman. If your going to Knock it around, might as well have a good warrenty.

Good point! +1

JD338

Bought my first leupold vxii in 1981, still have it, still use it a lot, still working, never had a problem. I am klutzy.

buckfever":2ful51mw said:
Nikon Buckmasters scopes can take a hard hit. I fell down with all my weight on my rifle and scope (6'1" 235) and still held its zero :grin:. I think Nikon should work just fine all for just 200 for the 3x9.

I used a 4.5x14x40mm on my 416 Bee before I could afford a Leupy. Never a problem. Took the recoil with ease. Let us know what you decide on. You do have many options.

It's really not for me to decide, POP. I'll try to post on what my friend decides when he gets around to it.

Back