Ladder test 6 creed/108 eldms/h4350

Did you do 40.2 gr or maybe 39.3 gr?
I went with 40.2 It was a .8" group at 300 yards for a .6g charge spread with an ES of 20. I'll take that anyday. Reason being I didn't go with 39.3 is because I want a little more velocity, plus those 3 weren't quite a good of group, especially with the vertical and the ES was 50.

Haven't done a whole lot of LR shooting with it yet, but it did print a 2.5" group at 500 and wacked its first dog at 225 this morning. And on the way out of the farm this morning, I stopped and shot once at the 1K gong and was rewarded with a resounding whop.

Last edited:
Very nice build Jorey. Looks like a shooter and it didn't take long to get it humming.

JD338
Thanks Jim. I'm pretty happy with it so far. Only have 80 rounds through it so it should get a little better and faster. Only thing I'm going to do is swap out those crappy WLRs for some CCI 200s. I might tinker with seating depth after these 100 cases of Peterson brass are fireformed. Didn't want to get to serious with load development as its still new, but it looks promising. I'll take a little over 1/4 MOA anyday at 300 yards with a .6g spread in charge and an ES of 20.

It also shoots the factory Hornady match 108s under 1/2 at 100, with velocity of 2982fps and ES of 13.
20240212_170954.jpg
20240217_215748.jpg

I went with 40.2 It was a .8" group at 300 yards for a .6g charge spread with an ES of 20. I'll take that anyday. Reason being I didn't go with 39.3 is because I want a little more velocity, plus those 3 weren't quite a good of group, especially with the vertical and the ES was 50.

Haven't done a whole lot of LR shooting with it yet, but it did print a 2.5" group at 500 and wacked its first dog at 225 this morning. And on the way out of the farm this morning, I stopped and shot once at the 1K gong and was rewarded with a resounding whop.
Makes a lot of sense, I would have done the 40.2 for the reasons you stated. That's an excellent group at 300 yards especially with the different powder charges.

Jorey,
With the weight of the rifle and the brake, can you see impacts through the scope? Just curious.

JD338
Yes I can. That was the goal as it's primarily a coyote/steel and will see a few local PRS/MOA challenge matches. It's pretty cool. I watched that dog fold like a sack of potatoes yesterday and was also able to see the vapor trail and hits on the 500 yard gong.

I would have guessed 40.1

I d try getting 160 or so rounds it getting brass fireformed and then group/chrono again.

Brand new barrels usually get an additional 50-75 fps after totally broke in. Sometimes bites guys on the hiney ….. if they pick a load before barrel totally broke in. Ask me how I know 😂 And I ve seen a number of good riflemen fall into same issue.

That's the plan. I bought a box of factory Hornady match 108s and will shoot four 5 shot groups to check velocity over the first 200 rounds. Shots 1-5 on new barrel did 2982. Will do another 5 at 100, 150, and 200. I'm at 80 rounds down the BRUX as of now.

I d try getting 160 or so rounds it getting brass fireformed and then group/chrono again.

Brand new barrels usually get an additional 50-75 fps after totally broke in. Sometimes bites guys on the hiney ….. if they pick a load before barrel totally broke in. Ask me how I know 😂 And I ve seen a number of good riflemen fall into same issue.
I've heard this before, what's the reasoning for the increased speed after the break in period?

The final lapping with bullets and cleaning gets rid of the minor imperfections allowing the bullet to slide out the barrel with less friction.

JD338
That's what they say, although I've never really noticed a huge gain, if any. Premium barrels come lapped from the manufacturer. I haven't noticed any speed increase in my Bartlein on the 7-300. Still shoots the same 3000fps with 450 rounds down it now. But then again, I never had a controlled lot of ammo to test either. Which is kind of why I'm doing it on the 6 Creed, bought the factory box, and keeping a close eye on it the first 200 rounds. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I haven't noticed it anyway. I've kept a log book on every round fired from the 7-300 and doing the same on the 6 Creed. Time will tell!

Back