Last Time that I use Luepold.... On anything

hardpan

Handloader
Apr 16, 2007
Just to finalize the saga of the Leupold rings:

Their tech told me to use dual dovetail ring bases for all Wbys under .257. I asked why their packaging and literature failed to mention that fact, he did not know. But, the windage screws old mounts do not have the strength to hold up to mags. Unfortunately, I was dumb enough to use Leupold bases in 3 of my bees.

As for the scope turning, his guess was that the rings were loose, but they are not. THe spec was only 28 inch pounds, which is way less than the 35 inch pounds that WBY's need on their fore stock. My guess is that the rings are very slightly large.

So, I need to replace at least bases on 3 rifles and rings on 1 other. Not only is that costly, but the time and ammo required to sight in 4 rifles, along with the range time and ammo wasted on the 2 rifles that have shown problems first are quite significant.

All of this was lost on Leupold. So, I have chosen not to ever use any of their products again. Sad day.

Hardpan

Hi all,
Had a weird experience today at the range. i shot my .300 bee and it was not on paper, but about 12 inches off. I checked and sure enough, the windage screw on the base had worked itself loose. Never seen that before... but I am glad that I spend time at the range checking that gun before taking it on a trip.

And, my scope on my .257 bee, also with Leupold rings had turned off of true. First time for that as well.

thanks, :cry:

Hardpan,

I have. Used the Leupolp Std Base and rings on my 338 RUM since 2001 and it has never moved.

I would torque down the windage screws and shoot.

JD338

Hi JD,
I will do exactly that. I bring a spare rifle when I hunt, so having 1 rifle is not exactly world ending. But, I am also going to replace the rings and bases over time. Thanks for not jumping on me for the rather harsh words about Leupold.
Best
Hardpan

I love all my leupold optics, but I don't use the mounts on anything I own. I prefer Talley and Dednutz. You don't have to worry about that dang windage screw and with the Dednutz, you can really put the torque to them.

Maybe one day the hard feelings will wear off and you can start using them again (optics). The optics are the best I've used because I can't afford the really high-dollar stuff.

Check out the alternative mounts , they might suprise you.
As far as leupold mounts go, I'm with you. I'd rather use them for trades.

I'm done with Redfield type rings on all my heavy recoiling rifles. I made the decision after my 338 Win Mag ripped apart two. I now used mostly Picatinney or Weaver and did not look back.

Hi Guys,
guess what? the windage screw was broken... Ordered warne today... thanks for the help. BTW, I am not very happy with L now, but that will wear off. They are a good US company trying to market to hunters. Hard to stay upset with them too long.
Hardpan

Desert Fox, Why weaver or Picanny? is Warne as good? I might as well just get what is recommended by this forum.

BTW, for 1inch and low, I like Conetrol. Great look and strength, But, Not for 30mm as they have a different design.
Hardpan

Desert Fox, Why weaver or Picanny? is Warne as good? I might as well just get what is recommended by this forum.

BTW, for 1inch and low, I like Conetrol. Great look and strength, But, Not for 30mm as they have a different design.
Hardpan

I'm looking for something to replace my Conetrol mounts on my Sako AV, mine worked loose last week and scope slid about 1/8" in the rings. Probably my fault for not checking them more often, though.

If you call contetrol, they will replace them for free. Lifetime warranty. For working loose, be certain to tighten all 4 set screws. And use locktite. I have used Conetrol for over 15 years on my 7mm wby, and a 300 wby.
hardpan

hardpan":223utjbq said:

Hardpan

I'm talking about bases. Warne makes rings that will work on Weaver or Picatinny type base. Warne base is also an excellent design. I have both.

Here's what I have on most of my rifles:

6.5-284

65061.jpg

300 Weatherby Accumark

Picture025.jpg

DSC00279-1.jpg

338 Lapua Ackley

Picture177-5.jpg

300 Winchester Magnum

Picture094-1.jpg

223 Kimber with Warne bases and rings

IMGP2356.jpg

The dual doves hold great on my 378 bee. And talk about kick!!!!!!!

Desert Fox":1g56u3af said:
hardpan":1g56u3af said:

Hardpan

I'm talking about bases. Warne makes rings that will work on Weaver or Picatinny type base. Warne base is also an excellent design. I have both.

Here's what I have on most of my rifles:

6.5-284

65061.jpg

300 Weatherby Accumark

Picture025.jpg

DSC00279-1.jpg

338 Lapua Ackley

Picture177-5.jpg

300 Winchester Magnum

Picture094-1.jpg

223 Kimber with Warne bases and rings

IMGP2356.jpg

Nice looking rifles! thanks for the advice.
Hardpan

Hardpan, there is nothing wrong with using Leupold Glass and someone elses rings and bases. I've never had a problem with Leupold rings/bases that were not my fault.

DF those Warne rings look really solid.

Hi Sniper.
I know that we can move from OEM on the scopes and bases. My recent episode with leupold left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. The windage screw is clearly chipped, and that was on the part the actually held the scope. ALeupold does not want to take it back or replace it, which was very surprising to me. I ordered warne, and will take a look at Conetrol as well. I have talked with the owner of Conetrol, George, before and prefer that look to any other.

thanks.,
Hardpan

Hardpan, I hope you work it out. I can only imagine what kind of a pain it is to worry about your rings/bases. I pretty much run everything on Standard Leupold rings and bases. I have just recently started using Weaver style baes with Leupild or Warne QD rings. I like having the ability to take the scopes off for cleaning and other work. Once you lose faith in something it is hard to depend on it. Scotty

I hear what you are saying about poor customer service.
Is it possible you were talking to a new kid, and maybe you need to talk with his boss? I can't imagine Leupold Management tolerating that kind of service.

Antelope_Sniper":3jqcftg9 said:
I hear what you are saying about poor customer service.
Is it possible you were talking to a new kid, and maybe you need to talk with his boss? I can't imagine Leupold Management tolerating that kind of service.
I agree, I was pretty surprised. Anyway, I am going to try them again. Now that i know that the windage screw is chipped my guess is that they will replace it. I am going to check to see if I can return the rings and bases and get the dovetail ones. If not, I will likely just sell these after I move up to the warnes.
Hardpan

Hardpan,

Just as an FYI - I think it generally comes down to looks for me as well.
I have yet to have any issues switching to the dual dove-tail.
If the ATV & rock piles that we go through can't knock them loose I don't know what can. Honestly I worry more about the reticle at times.

Good luck

I always use dual dovetail on the big kickers. I learned about loose windage screws and ring wobble. My only exception was with Weaver type bases and I never had one of those go south either. There is just too much recoil for one post because the windage screws have much less purchace than a second dovetail post will. I have had the screws shear on the rear windage attachment also.
Scope spin is something I hadn't heard about unless it involved considerable scope forward shift. I have had problems with rings and mounts that required truing to gain sufficient purchace on hot magnums. Torque doesn't overcome only having a 5% contact surface. I ruined a scope or two over the years discovering that one.
Greg

Back