Lesson Learned and an Experiment

KinleyWater

Handloader
Jun 15, 2019
Ladies and gentlemen,

By way of public service announcement, I will remind you all to make sure the drain is shut BEFORE pouring powder into the hopper of your dispenser.

Okay, so a few weeks back, I was an idiot and ended up spilling a couple of ounces of Blue Dot on my reloading bench. The spot where I reload gets dusty and is in the corner of my woodworking area, so I did not feel comfortable scooping it up and pouring it in the hopper. I also don't like the idea of wasting stuff, especially powder. So, I thought and I thought, and then it occurred to me that gunpowder is primarily nitrogen, so I decided to try and experiment.

Can you tell which pepper plant was grown on Blue Dot?
DSCN0805.JPG

I've enriched more than a few strawberry plants and ornamentals. My policy is that any spills are used as fertilizer. I suppose in these difficult times I could reassess that policy, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Haha. I never experimented on an actual plant. I've put plenty on the grass as fertilizer already but that's an interesting side by side comparison. Quite a difference!

Back