Lets Talk Shell Holders

RL338

Handloader
Mar 23, 2017
Most of my shell holder are Hornadys. But lately some of the newer brass companies (mainly Peterson) aren’t fitting into the proper shell holder.
What brand of holders are you using and if any brass is causing problems?

Lee - because I don't have money to spend, and because they work. I occasionally get a piece that doesn't fit, but never a whole manufacturer's worth.

You might be able to open up the holder with a dremel or the like, if that is the problem.

I've used exclusively RCBS & Redding. No shell holder is required for my Forster Co-Ax press. However, for the other presses on my bench, I've used shell holders. I have found that Redding shell holders tend to be a problem with many brass types. RCBS are my preferred shell holder, as they are very close to spec and always give me a true experience.

I have found that Redding shell holders tend to be a problem with many brass types.
Boy , I was looking at replacing my Hornady #1 with a Redding #1.
I have a Lee laying around but it doesn’t work in the Hornady hand primer.

RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, Redding, Lee, tried a few but use RCBS the most. They seem to work for everything well. Dan.

I buy RCBS and also use the Lee and Hornady that have come with the die sets. Never had and problems with RCBS. Had one Lee for the auto prime that because of where the stamp the number it was too tight for some Lapua brass, the new one i bought to replace it had an updated design. And a hornady holder that came with 10mm/40 die set would not fit on the ram of my Lyman press, but did in my old Lee.

I ordered a RCBS this morning to try. The Creedmoor brass from Peterson gives me the fits the worst , ADG , Hornady and even Nosler also have some that fit tight.

I use RCBS and Redding with a couple of Hornady's thrown in for good measure. The only problem I have ever had with any of them has been an occasional burr on the case rim caused by one of my rifles.

When I was first getting into reloading, the folks here overwhelmingly recommend RCBS and that's what I use and haven't had any issues. I have a few hornady and Lee, and they seem fine, except I have some LC 308 brass that is pretty tight in the Lee, but fits RCBS fine.

I have the Redding competition shellholder sets , that I use on the press . I use a mix of shellholders, including RCBS and Redding ,on my RCBS hand primer tool . some of my older shellholders will not fit the hand primer . I don't remember having a problem with brass compatibility .

When I was first getting into reloading, the folks here overwhelmingly recommend RCBS and that's what I use and haven't had any issues. I have a few hornady and Lee, and they seem fine, except I have some LC 308 brass that is pretty tight in the Lee, but fits RCBS fine.
I have a mountain of LC Match 308 brass (I think I gave away close to 1,000 cases and still have twice that much on hand) and have found that my RCBS shellholders don't seem to have any issue with them.

Ran into an older, 1960's, RCBS shellholder recently for the 30-30 - and although similar, it has different dimensions than any RCBS shellholder I have.

Won't fit the ram on my 1980's Rockchucker or a newer RCBS turret press I've been using lately.

Guy

I've used LEE, RCBS, Hornady, and Redding at one point or another in the past.

I've since converted all my die sets to Redding and all of my deer rifles I load for has a .473 base so I only currently use a Redding shell holder. I also use a Redding #10 shell holder when I load for 223rem.

Back