Local find ???

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I went to get my rifle tag and see a 25-06 on the used rack. It is a Ruger M77 tang safety that has a bull barrel. It has a wood stock and an old Weaver scope on it. The scope it junk. I took the bolt out and it looks clean. The crown looks okay but there is some blueing missing from the muzzle. (like it was put in a truck muzzle down with no case) The barrel has a few light marks on it from use. The bolt handle has the blueing rubbed off. (again from riding in a truck) Lastly, the wook has a lot of dings and marks. The action is smooth and tight. The rifle is heavy but that is expected with a bull barrel. Over all it looks like it has been a typical truck gun and needs some love to make it look nice. The bore and action function and look good. They are asking $350 for it but willing to come down. The guy said it was a guy from out west that owned it and used as a coyote rifle??? I have a shotgun I could trade and get at least $275 for it. Would this be a rifle that would be worth going after and trying to turn into a shooter and a rifle that looks good? I would have the barrel recrowned right away and then look into a new stock and then doing something with the barrel/action. My other thought would be to look into a new Marlin or Savage in 25-06. Thoughts and ideas please.

Out of the three, the Ruger is by far the most interesting and most likely to hold value. The real question is, would what you want it for, be hindered by the heavy barrel? If so, don't buy it. But if not, it's a steal at under $350! You could get it re-crowned and cera-koted in satin or semi-gloss black (or whatever they're calling those basic colors) and it would be a stellar package. You could see about getting the factory wood refinished (dings can be mostly steamed out), too. Put a good scope on it and you're set!

dubyam has given you some sound advice. What is the length on the barrel?

I think it's a great deal for $350, if you can get it for less even better. Shoot it see how it shoots, re-crowned it if it's not a shooter. Then shoot again before investing more money into it, to make sure it doesn't need a new barrel. I walked into a cabelas a year or two ago and found a tang safety heavy barrel in 6mm. The wood was perfect and it was topped with a leupold Vari-X III 6.5X20 for $625. I took that rifle to the checkout counter as quickly as I could. It shoots great with 75gr V-max's. So for that price I don't see where you can go wrong.

Yup, the 25-06 with a heavy barrel would make for a great rifle for your wife. Low recoil and AWESOME ballistics. Hit me up if you get it, for 350, it is a deal. I am running the 115 BT's at around 3200, I really doubt there are any deer that will step away from them.

I am going to call the store tomorrow and ask if I can stop by and take a few pictures of it. It is a heavy rifle. I really have no need for a heavy deer rifle like this. If I knew it was a shooter, I would jump on it. If I see it again, I will try to get the numbers off it to see when it was made. I don't see this rifle jumping off the shelf in northern WI.

wisconsinteacher":3dixqqti said:
I am going to call the store tomorrow and ask if I can stop by and take a few pictures of it. It is a heavy rifle. I really have no need for a heavy deer rifle like this. If I knew it was a shooter, I would jump on it. If I see it again, I will try to get the numbers off it to see when it was made. I don't see this rifle jumping off the shelf in northern WI.

You can get your money back in a pinch. Especially if they come down a bit.

JMUPT":2s7ajg4g said:
I think it's a great deal for $350, if you can get it for less even better. Shoot it see how it shoots, re-crowned it if it's not a shooter. Then shoot again before investing more money into it, to make sure it doesn't need a new barrel. I walked into a cabelas a year or two ago and found a tang safety heavy barrel in 6mm. The wood was perfect and it was topped with a leupold Vari-X III 6.5X20 for $625. I took that rifle to the checkout counter as quickly as I could. It shoots great with 75gr V-max's. So for that price I don't see where you can go wrong.

Oh man, a 6mm? You dog! I hate you! :)

I had one of those exact rifles that had a Douglas barrel on it.
It was boring.
It shot Hornady custom 117 BTSPs so well I never bothered to reload for it.
Killed a few deer with it and so did my son.
A buddy talked me out of it a few years back.
For $375 you can't go wrong

dubyam":s6w0w80u said:
Out of the three, the Ruger is by far the most interesting and most likely to hold value. The real question is, would what you want it for, be hindered by the heavy barrel? If so, don't buy it. But if not, it's a steal at under $350! You could get it re-crowned and cera-koted in satin or semi-gloss black (or whatever they're calling those basic colors) and it would be a stellar package. You could see about getting the factory wood refinished (dings can be mostly steamed out), too. Put a good scope on it and you're set!

Very good advise. I can see no way one could lose money on this purchase, but was curious as to the "why". I know the easy answer is "why not" But was curious if your just adding to the safe, for the wife or child or to resell, or just a different caliber to play with or hunt with. Sometimes the "why" makes a difference in the advise you receive. Of the three you mentioned I would get the Ruger, regardless of your reason.

Scotty, I saw your post. I prefer the additional recoil to the extra weight. Is your wife just the opposite?

yukon huntress":1cs54qbs said:
Scotty, I saw your post. I prefer the additional recoil to the extra weight. Is your wife just the opposite?

I think she likes the lighter weight rifles. But for hunting in a stand, the extra rifle just makes it more pleasant. Lori only shoots a 25-06 so recoil is pretty light

...if it's the 26" "Medium Varmint" M77, it's one of the better rifles Ruger ever built, & a steal @ that price or less. I had a .220 Swift & .25-06 before the "Big D", great rifles, both...

Well I called the gun shop. The guy that had it used it to hunt speed goats out west and no longer goes due to age. He traded it in on a crossbow. He told them it was a shooter. I believe it is the 26" medium varmint. I have a Baikal over under that I have not shot in 4 years and if I need a trap gun, my dad has a Browning Auto 5 that I could use any time. They said they would take it in on trade. As far as to why, first I have always heard great things about the 25-06, I don't have a quarter bore, dad used a 25-06 to shoot his only mule deer out west years ago and he loved the gun, it looks like a project gun that I could get my hands on and refinish the stock and maybe DuraCoat the metal, and last, I like to reload and shoot rilfes that are fun. From what I have read, the 25-06 can go great things at the range and in the field. It is a heavy rifle but if I can get it for a good deal, it will be used more than the shotgun and I could have a new toy to reload for. I know I did not need to justify it with everyone but it helps me think it through. I am going to stop by tomorrow and take pictures of it and see what they will give me for the 12 ga.

Well the offer on my 12ga was not what I wanted :( If anyone is interested in a Baikal shotgun let me know. Until it sells, I have to wait on this one.

WT it sound like a great deal I hope that you are able to unload that over & under soon.

Blessings,
Dan

Back