Lookin' for a .260

BK

Handloader
Dec 14, 2008
OK, I've decided I need a new bolt gun. After reading a bunch of stuff at another site, I have decided I want a .260. My problem is that I want a rifle, not a carbine like a Remmy M7. My ideal rifle would be a 24" barereled M700 SPS Stainless, but unless I want to buy a .243 and rebarrel it, I don't think it available. anybody know my options? I'm trying to stay in the M700 price range, so I think Sakos and Kimbers are probably out.

I've got a .260 in the Rem700 Mtn Rifle LSS. I don't know how many are out there but you might watch the auctions online (GunBroker for example). There are a few Rems and Rugers there. Between my son and I, we have shot a bunch of whitetail and two Elk. A 6pt he shot at 75yds dropped in it's tracks. Something to be said about the .264 caliper. Things "Bang-Flop" with that 140gn bullet.

BK,

I doubt you'll be sorry for going after a .260. They are pleasant to shoot and will handle up to elk size game. The first one in my house was a model 7 youth for my wife w/ the 18.5 inch barrel. That one has taken 3 elk out to just a hair over 300yds.
I had a M700 BDL Varmiter switched from a 22-250 into a .260 as well that my Dad used on an elk last Dec as well just a hair over 300yds.

Options as stated above is to watch some of the on line sites like gunbroker.com.
Remington in my opinion is really messing up not chambering this in the SPS line, but who am I to say. About the only option that I'm aware of is to find one of the Limited Edition rifles from a couple years ago that has the 24in tube in the CDL I believe. There are also some Ti's out there, but............$$$$$$

If you're thinking about building something....., that will open up a whole new arena for the 6.5's
Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

I have given some thought to putting a stainless PacNor on a short action M700SPS, but with my luck the donor will shoot into 1/2"!

BK,

I hear you... I purchased a SPS Stainless a while back in .257 Bee just to have it..... the finish / detail on the gun is horendous in my opinion, but she sure shoots good :grin:

NOTE: Don't pass up the long actions like the .280's / .270's etc with the same bolt face. Most of the .260's I've seen will not fit into the magazine if the bullets are exteneded out close to the rifle lands.... just a thought ?

At that point....6.5 X 47 ? 6.5-.284 ?

BK,

I am in a similar quandry too, have wanted a 260 (and others) for some time, but cant find what I like either. IMHO the newer remmys look butt ugly (SPS), The new 77 Hawkeyes lines look great, but not offered in 260 with a 22" barrel, and I dont like the sandblast finish on a blued gun.

Bottom line, I think todays classics have turned into cheap looking turds. The orig 700 classic and the 77 were some of the best lookin rifles to me. Nice wood, fit was good, recoil pad was good looking and they came with decent bluing..

With that said, I am keeping my eyes out for a 77 MKII in a walnut/blued model in .260 & 7/08. And soon as I have em, Ruger will reintroduce a high shine blued model of old. Loved that blueing on the orig M77's.

Good luck.

I think the Remington CDLs are pretty good looking rifles, but as currently offered, they are available only in an M7 in .260. 6'6" guys look funny carrying carbines. :)

hey BK do what you can to get a 260. I have one of those M7's and its a dream to shoot and super accurate. If i were you id find a way to get at least a 24" and more if you go custum. This is a serious little caliber. Like the best of all Light kick flat shooting, accurate and everything acts as if hit by the Hammer of Thor. I shoot 100gr. bullets PT's and they do wonders and exit. If you make the choice of BT's make sure your shots will be 200 plus cause in my experience 100's and 120's are bombs at less then that. After my PT's are gone Ill load AB's and forget it. Good luck. And my 20 inch tube is great and the gun is real nice to carry

BK":2x82fodc said:
I think the Remington CDLs are pretty good looking rifles, but as currently offered, they are available only in an M7 in .260. 6'6" guys look funny carrying carbines. :)
..........Then if that`s the case, at 6'3" I look real funny carrying my 35.5" OAL 300 WSM Ruger Frontier! Its shorter than the M7!!!

I`ve been more than happy to "look funny" carrying around and hunting with this sweet little handling jewel. And if needed, she`ll take down anything on the N/A continent.

Too bad you are not close to TN, a friend who is an FFL has a used Ruger and a used Steyr both in .260.

Mine is a .260 Rem Mountain Rifle, love it. Would not get rid of it for anything.

Bk..................Nothing wrong with a 260 in a more compact rifle!

There are 3 main complaints that you get when talking about shorter tubes. They are noisier, too much muzzle blast and a perceived HUGE loss in velocity, like around 50 fps per inch.

Noise... I always wear hearing protection at the range and appropriate protection in the field. There are products for field use.

Muzzle blast...With my 300 WSM compact, there is no noticeable daytime muzzle blast. I don`t hunt in darkness or in very low lite so that`s not an issue with me.

Velocity loss...In comparing two 24" 300 WSMs with my 16.5" 300 WSM using the same identical reloading components and charges, the overall loss for my shorty tube averages from 4.2% to 4.5%. An average loss from 16 fps to 22 fps per inch was the result. Various other powders and bullets were used, but only the identical components were compared. Two chronys were used. The velocity loss from the 20" will be even less a percentage vs the 24" er.

No game you could hunt with a 260 will know the difference when the vitals are hit.

Reminds me of a story!.........The fall after I got my 300 WSM compact, I went on an elk hunt.

That afternoon after arriving in camp, it came time to check the zero. Out I came with my rifle. There were several there, and with no questions asked by anyone as to my cartridge, I heard the chuckles and the laughter in the background, with one saying, "You`re gonna hunt elk with that?"

I just smiled, got set up at the bench and loaded a round in the chamber; a 200 gr Nosler A/B with a chrony`d MV of 2774 fps. Little did they know! After I blew the 1st round off, they weren`t chucklin too much, as their facial expressions became rather serious while their eyes opened up alot larger. By my rifles size, maybe they thought I was using a 22?

At 400 yards, a downrange energy of well over a ton! My kill was at a distance of 378 yards with a 300 yard zero.

I like to 260 and wanted one but the price and not the barrel lenght got me. Besides I already had a Mil surplus rifle in 6.5X55swede. I ended up getting a Tikka in 6.5X55 and with handloads it is sweet and fast enought. The 6.5X55 can be loaded hotter than fac loads as the fac loads are mild due to rifles with weak actions out there. It is light and very accurate. I got it for me but my daughter has claimed it. One reason for the 6.5X55 over the 260 was I already had brass/dies etc for it and I already load for 30+ cartridges.
I think you will find you do not loose alot with the shorter barrels rifles in 260 due to the case size not being huge.

I know for a fact that Remington did make 700's in SS with 24" barrels. When Remington first brought out the 260 on the market my hunting buddy got one. You could not even get any ammo much less any cases to load at that time. We experimented and found that necking up 243 win chases worked best. We used start load information for the 6.5X55 Swede to start our load work because nobody had load data out for the 260 yet. With this rifle 47 grs H4350 and a 120 gr Sierra and 45 grs H4350 with a 140 gr Sierra hunting bullets was where we got one hole groups at 100 yards and we did not want to go any higher on the pressure. I don't remember what the velocity was. My buddy control hunted a big farm in NC where 100 deer a year was to be removed and I would go each year and spend 3 weeks hunting with him, or should I say not hunting but shooting deer. They were thick and still are. He let me shoot a few deer with that 260 Rem and I used both 120 and 140 gr bullets and every deer I shot from 100 to 300 yards dropped in it's tracks with a front shoulder shot. My buddy shot between 50 and 60 deer that year with that rifle and only had one deer not drop in it's tracks. It took three jumps and piled up. My buddy is one that will get a rifle and play with it for a while until something else comes down the pike and he will sale it and get the new toy. He sold that rifle to another friend of his for his grandson to use. He is grown now and still uses that rifle to deer hunt with. It is un-telling how many rounds that rifle has fired and how many deer that rifle has killed over the years and it is still a tack driver. The reason that I know is this past fall when I was over hunting I ran into the fellow that owns that rifle now at the range and I got to see for my self that it was still a shooter.

I`ve a Kimber M84 with 22" bbl and a M700 SS/DM 24" bbl I bought when Remington 1st announced the 260 cartridge. The velocity between the two is within 25 fps with my handloads, and suprisingly the shorter barrel often is the faster. Both are equally accurate.
I prefer the Kimbers shorter OAL lgt and lighter wgt over the M700 and would recommend it if you can find one.

All things being equal (and they never are) in theroy the shorter "stiffer" barrel is more accurate. Shorter distance for the harmonics to wiggle out. Deer will never know the difference in velocity. CL

The 100 and 120 BT's under 200 yds are damaging under 200 yds.... :grin: UH HUH, I never pushed the 120 Bt's hard out of that old 264, 70 grns of retumbo would get 3250 FPS, little faster than the 260, same SD.

JT.

Just a question, why not a 6.5 Rem Mag. I know it it's an old relic, but it's darn fast. With a short case like that it ought to really shoot, the ballistics border a 264 win and with a bit more effiecent case design it ought to be a lot easier on barrels while still giving great ballistics. I would like to build one, but I've already got a 264 with a custom chamber. I imagine if I had a good 6.5mm barrel blank it would likely get chambered in 6.5mm Rem Mag. I'm starting to like practical guns that don't require 2 kegs of powder and 500 bullets to wear out a barrel.

JT.

I too have one of the M700 Mtn Rifles in .260 with a 22" barrel. I have reloading for it for awhile but it was real particular. On the good side it shot everything at 1.25" no matter reloads, factory, everything but nothing would do better. Finally I found a load for the 130 AccuBond and it shoots just under 3/4", only took about three years to find.

It is by far my favorite deer rifle everything I shoot goes down quick which is bullet placement but the handiness of the rifle and how compact it is and easy to shoot contributes alot to being able to place those shots exactly on target at moments notice. I have always thought the .260 recoil to results on game ratio is way out of whack. It kills like something quite a bit bigger yet is just an absolute joy to shoot. It is one of my few guns that is untouchable; no trades, no selling period.

Back