Looking for a 25 cal 120gr HP type bullet

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
One negative mark on Hornady is they discontinued what was IMO the very best performing 25 cal bullet for shooting/hinting.
The 120 gr interlock was a dream match made in heaven in the hotter 25's.

I can't find anything truly comparable to that sans a 121 gr, yes 121🙄 Barnes which is probably extremely hard. 🤷‍♂️

The 115 Ballistic Tip, 117 Serra GK's, etc? Are you needing something exactly 120 grains?

The 115 Ballistic Tip, 117 Serra GK's, etc? Are you needing something exactly 120 grains?
Had the market cornered on the 115' BT's at one time. In other words shot 1000 or so of those.
The 120's from Hornady just worked better

I can't find anything truly comparable to that sans a 121 gr, yes 121🙄 Barnes which is probably extremely hard.
Where'd you see that? The heaviest bullet that Barnes has is the 115gr TSX. If you need something better than that then you ought to step up a caliber.

Where'd you see that? The heaviest bullet that Barnes has is the 115gr TSX. If you need something better than that then you ought to step up a caliber.
Apologies...it was Hammer

Hammer's do a good job of killing from the reports I have seen and people I know.
Have not loaded or shot them myself yet...But I do have their bullets on hand

Wonder why the mainstream writers havent gotten on board with them yet. Seems weird they’re even loaded in Wby ammo but I see very little written about them outside of guys like us.

Wonder why the mainstream writers havent gotten on board with them yet. Seems weird they’re even loaded in Wby ammo but I see very little written about them outside of guys like us.
Their price might be the issue. Weatherby ammo is so overpriced that Hammer’s cost is absorbed in the cost of ammo.

It’s all in the money. Outdoor writers get paid to write what they do. Hammer doesn’t have to pay them to get the word out because they speak for themselves

Hammer's do a good job of killing from the reports I have seen and people I know.
Hammers do an excellent job killing, I've shot 3 coyotes, 2 with 22-250 and 1 with 243. 2 DRT, one ran a little ways, my fault I hit him too far back. I also have Hammers loaded in my 280 and just recently in my 25-06.

I've been shooting Barnes for a lot of years, and Etips as well, the thing I like about Hammers is they are much more consistent in weight and length than the other two. Also very easy to develop an accurate load. They are a little pricey, but for a hunting bullet I believe they are worth it.

I suspect that no matter which bullet I endorse, it will not meet 300WSM's desires. Though I've had excellent results with several.

I hope that he finds a bullet that suits his desire. The 25-06 is a fine cartridge, but the now defunct 120 grain Hornady hollow point is only one of many good bullets available.

Regards, Guy

Ron Spomer sure does sing their praises. There’s a video where he interviews the owners, and it’s a deep dive into the bullets. I’m a big fan of them myself.
I watch his videos and listen to his podcast. I gather that he’s big enough away from his articles that he can endorse whatever he wants now. I think he just likes to use what works and work Hammers do.

We want what we want
101 grain Barnes LRX...They open up even at low impact velocity's
And, they are available.
I will use AB's, Hammer's, and LRX's for tougher big game in 25 caliber.
Have you used those 101s Ernie? How’d you like them if you have?

Have you used those 101s Ernie? How’d you like them if you have?
I have bought LRX's in 6mm 95 grain, the 101's in 25, the 127's in 6.5, and some 145's in 7mm. I have a couple of friends that have killed quite a bit of stuff from antelope to bull elk with the LRX's and are very pleased with them.
In 25 caliber the only bullet I have used the last several years for big game is the 110 grain AB's.
I am going to be shooting 25's more this year and next year for sure (hunting and LR bullets)

Back