Looking for a 25 cal 120gr HP type bullet

Wonder why the mainstream writers havent gotten on board with them yet. Seems weird they’re even loaded in Wby ammo but I see very little written about them outside of guys like us.
When I was deep in the industry writers wanted favors. Almost expected them if you will. It was definitely a kiss ass club and favor me this type thing

I have been in this just enough (dabbled in writing) to know a little bit
I would agree with that 300WSM that it does exist among writers, at least some anyway.
I would say that the company (group putting out the magazine) also wants favors/expects them from the writers.
I get it, that as a writer, they are working for that magazine, and the magazine sets the narrative.
I prefer the times where you can say what you like and don't like-honesty.
Even then, there is going to be a bias, but I am okay with that. We all have prejudiced convictions.
It is the ones that are such a given, that we don't even know we are biased, are the dangerous ones/harder to identify when trying to be non-biased.

Makes sense. I didn't realize it was quite so jaded. I don't subscribe to much other than RMEF so I miss out on stuff in the mainstream magazines these days.

I will say, and have said it a few times, I don't ever hang my hat on one bullet anymore, if something is unavailable or not made, there are 10 other great bullets for most cartridges to replace it. I also don't complain too much about most bullet prices. I spend a 100 bucks a rip filling up my Chevy Colorado, so the price of a couple boxes of great bullets doesn't make a dent these days in the grand scheme.

SJB358,
Good thoughts.
I just read your signature, and laughed. I have never owned or desired a model 70 (Pre-64 or otherwise), but I do have issues 😇

SJB358,
Good thoughts.
I just read your signature, and laughed. I have never owned or desired a model 70 (Pre-64 or otherwise), but I do have issues 😇
HA! It's okay Ernie. It's sorta old now at this point, it was a running joke around here years ago, but it was always meant in good fun. I am pretty much an equal opportunity rifle guy. Haven't hardly met a cartridge I couldn't construe a use for in my head.

Now, if I could build one of those sweet pistols like you run on a P64 action, well, I'd think I could love something like that!

I wondered if there was history there.
If you could buy a non-designated P64 action, you could build a specialty pistol on that.

Well a bullet that is and was superior to the Hornady in lots of ways that is often over looked is the old Speer 120 gr. It has a proven track record for 40 years. Has outrageous high BC. But it doesn't fit the bill of coming in a fancy box with foil lettering or in quantity's of only 50........ So that in itself will label it antiquated in today's world. Vastly ahead of it's time and a stellar performer in all respects. But probably not for the "cool kids" that will pay $250 for a fancy box Partitions???
To each his own. I have 600 stashed and that will likely see be out of loading my 25/06. For big game there is no finer projectile imho.
E

Well a bullet that is and was superior to the Hornady in lots of ways that is often over looked is the old Speer 120 gr. It has a proven track record for 40 years. Has outrageous high BC. But it doesn't fit the bill of coming in a fancy box with foil lettering or in quantity's of only 50........ So that in itself will label it antiquated in today's world. Vastly ahead of it's time and a stellar performer in all respects. But probably not for the "cool kids" that will pay $250 for a fancy box Partitions???
To each his own. I have 600 stashed and that will likely see be out of loading my 25/06. For big game there is no finer projectile imho.
E
I agree 100% ! I've been using the Speer 120gr Hot-Cor for around 35yrs myself and it is no doubt my forever bullet in the 25.06. It has always shot with great accuracy and it's performance on game has been excellent. I stocked up when i found out that Speer was going to discontinue that bullet. I have around 200 loaded and about another 8 unopened boxes in the cabinet so i'm set for the rest of my life :).

Yep, not sure why they quit making that 120 HC, particularly with it's long held reputation and popularity. They make the 120 BTSP yet so it's not like they decided to remove that caliber and bullet weight from their line. That bullet sold............some things don't make sense with companies at times, but who knows???

That would be like Speer dropping the 250 gr HC in 35 caliber. Another go to bullet with the reputation behind it, that sells and has a reliable following.

I agree with 300WSM. There may be a lot of "Good" bullets out there but it is disappointing when you've went to all the effort to develop a load that performs the way you want it to just to find that they have discontinued one of your componets. I apologize to all the fans of the Nosler BT but I still say that it doesn't perform as well as the discontinued Solid Base bullets.

I have been in this just enough (dabbled in writing) to know a little bit
I would agree with that 300WSM that it does exist among writers, at least some anyway.
I would say that the company (group putting out the magazine) also wants favors/expects them from the writers.
I get it, that as a writer, they are working for that magazine, and the magazine sets the narrative.
I prefer the times where you can say what you like and don't like-honesty.
Even then, there is going to be a bias, but I am okay with that. We all have prejudiced convictions.
It is the ones that are such a given, that we don't even know we are biased, are the dangerous ones/harder to identify when trying to be non-biased.
Makes sense. I didn't realize it was quite so jaded. I don't subscribe to much other than RMEF so I miss out on stuff in the mainstream magazines these days.

I will say, and have said it a few times, I don't ever hang my hat on one bullet anymore, if something is unavailable or not made, there are 10 other great bullets for most cartridges to replace it. I also don't complain too much about most bullet prices. I spend a 100 bucks a rip filling up my Chevy Colorado, so the price of a couple boxes of great bullets doesn't make a dent these days in the grand scheme.
I can't really comment on how things are present day since things have gone more electronic but I would be willing to bet it's still running rampant.

It's not hard to connect the dots. Example....
The author does an article on...let's say...a new model Burris scope.
Notice somewhere in the article the author says....

"on a recent hunt I got to put one of these new models____ to the test."

Now guess who paid for that hunt or made all the arrangements and amenities of said hunt happen...
Burris.
That somehow always gets lost in the article.

"Testing the new monsters from Smith and Wesson"
"Range is one thing but how would it work on game "
And of course...
"On a recent hunt I got to put the new S&W 500 to the test hunting _______"
Again...bought and paid for by,
cue the price is right music..
S&W

Greasing those palms has been a staple in that industry as far as I can remember.

Moreover the more reputable the author the more you better be willing pony up.

I suspect that no matter which bullet I endorse, it will not meet 300WSM's desires. Though I've had excellent results with several.

I hope that he finds a bullet that suits his desire. The 25-06 is a fine cartridge, but the now defunct 120 grain Hornady hollow point is only one of many good bullets available.

Regards, Guy
I've shot more 25 cal bullets than I haven't.
I think I was pretty clear in asking if there was something nearly identical that I've missed.
In other words a 25 cal 120gr HP that I haven't noticed from say brand X?

Many others around that bullet have worked fine and perform adequate. The 120 HP just worked a little bit better. At least for me.

If I wanted other suggestions I would've titled it "looking for a good bullet to replace the 120 HP

Just know I appreciate all replies and input on any thread and perhaps I wasnt clear enough in that I was just looking for another 120gr HP type bullet that I may have missed

The 117 grain Hornady Interlock BTSP in front of Ramshot Hunter has been a real shooter in my .25-06! I ran out of the 115 BT’s and could easily find the Hornady’s so they’re my new go-to load.

E
You're talking about their BTSP version aren't you E?

I wondered if there was history there.
If you could buy a non-designated P64 action, you could build a specialty pistol on that.
What do you mean by non-designated?

A non-designated action is simply an action that has not been designated as a handgun or a rifle...It is just a action.
If I bought a Bergara rifle in 308 Winchester, it would be illegal for me to put a 15" and a pistol stock or turn a rifle into a pistol.
With a new action or a non-designated action, I can go either way

If one wants the headache you could get SBR stamp. A non designated receiver would be easier.

I would NOT look past the Hornady 110 ELD-X for a all around bullet for the 25-06 either and have my 25-06 loaded with them for shots out past 300 yds when wind is over 20 mph X-wind. That is very common here on the lake where my Coyote bait is placed. The BC is so poor on the lightweight bullets I like to use in both the 6.5 and 25-06 (90 gr Blitz Kings and Varmagetton) The .257 eld-x bullet, has killed some at 350/400 yds that I would have missed with the lightweight bullets. Strelok show 23" vs 13" with 30 mph X-wind. So they are great windbuckers.
E

A non-designated action is simply an action that has not been designated as a handgun or a rifle...It is just a action.
If I bought a Bergara rifle in 308 Winchester, it would be illegal for me to put a 15" and a pistol stock or turn a rifle into a pistol.
With a new action or a non-designated action, I can go either way
Okay, that makes sense! Never thought of that.

I dont know if this will meet your criteria exactly, but Speer is showing a 120 gr Grand Slam, $20.99/50 on their website.

The Grand Slam is a good bullet and is worth trying.

As for gunwriters the only one I watch online now is Ron Spomer like was mentioned earlier, really enjoy his content, his knowledge and demeanor. I watch Gavin and Guy too whenever I can, just watched Guy today loading Varget into some 308 cases :)

Back