M70 7x57 Featherweight

Scotty!
That’s a great find and congratulations!!! Are you thinking 140s or something heavier? Any way you slice it, that’s a dandy of a rifle!
V/R,
Joe
Not sure yet Joe. I have a pile of 7mm bullets and most of them are probably more than good for the old bird.

Wow, very nice, Scotty!
What twist rate are those rifles? Some Hammers would be awesome in that rifle.
You know I’m not sure on Twist. I’ll have to do some research. But Hammers are definitely an option.

You have acquired a real winner there. I've taken many whitetails with a 7x57 in Wisconsin from 40 - 274 yards and all have been one shot kills. That is a good thing since mine is in a Ruger #1AB.

Got the 7x57 out yesterday afternoon. Had a variety of loads for it just to see if anything stood out. I put an S&B 6x42 on it with their #4 reticle. It's a fairly bold reticle that's great for hunting but probably a little thick for great trigger work.

150 BT's and H4350

140 BT's and H4350

150 Swifts and H4350

And the winner of the day was plain old Sierra 140 SBT's and H4350..

So that'll be the deer load for this year.

Looks like things are coming together on that 48 gr load. The 140 Sierra is a great bullet too. My featherweight is extremely fussy about distance from lands, more so than velocity.

Looks like things are coming together on that 48 gr load. The 140 Sierra is a great bullet too. My featherweight is extremely fussy about distance from lands, more so than velocity.
I put everything .010" from the lands to start except for the Swift, I set that back .050". I think I'll just shoot em and mess with another load later on. I need to get a speed check on them, but I am sure it is more than enough for where I am hunting.

The H4350 seems to be pretty dang good, Rifle wants to shoot as well! Might be interesting to swap out the scope for a day and see what she can do with more magnification and fine cross hairs.

The H4350 seems to be pretty dang good, Rifle wants to shoot as well! Might be interesting to swap out the scope for a day and see what she can do with more magnification and fine cross hairs.
That crossed my mind as well..

Sweet rifle, congrats Scotty! My Win Fwt is almost finished, but I'm waiting on a Rifle Basix trigger. What weight did you get your trigger pull down to? ( I assume you tinkered with it) I like 1# for the Range and 1.5 to 2# in the field.

Sweet rifle, congrats Scotty! My Win Fwt is almost finished, but I'm waiting on a Rifle Basix trigger. What weight did you get your trigger pull down to? ( I assume you tinkered with it) I like 1# for the Range and 1.5 to 2# in the field.

I put an Ernie's the Trigger Spring in it. It's at 2lbs and a few ounces on average now.

I shot these two groups yesterday with the Sierra's.. I am calling this one done. Very pleasant shooting little rifle. Looking forward to hunting it some this year.

Yes, I should think that will work very well. My 275 Rigby, (7x57) is working on becoming my favorite rifle Thanks to some of your early load development. Good luck hunting closer to home.

Yes, I should think that will work very well. My 275 Rigby, (7x57) is working on becoming my favorite rifle Thanks to some of your early load development. Good luck hunting closer to home.
Thanks Don. You getting ready for elk out there?

Thanks Don. You getting ready for elk out there?
I am, Catherine and I will go up tomorrow morning and set up camp. Had quite a bit of snow the last two nights so we may have to go to our alternate camp area. We’ve an obligation Saturday and then I’ll head back up Sunday in time for first light scouting. Season opens on Wednesday. We live an hour from the end of the pavement, about 2 hours from the deepest part of the unit we would camp. Pretty dang convenient.
I’ll be running the 338 Jarrett this year. I’ll take the 300 HH along, I’ll hunt with it in the timber but the Jarrett is almost 2 pounds lighter, I’ll run it when I am going deep into those canyons.

Back