M70 7x57 Featherweight

That load will hunt, Scotty. I'm envious when I look at some of my 7X57 work.

That is excellent! Some of you will remember me speaking of my first heartbreaking 7x57 experience....Back in early 90's, I had an 80's Mod 70 Fwt in 7x57. ( JOC had me hooked!) I tried many weights/makes of bullets from 139 to 175 and never got it grouping less than 2-3", ha. It had the Honor of being "my very first rebarreled" hunting rifle. A Douglas Premium 30-06 by Gary Stiles ( bless his heart, now deceased) and it never shot smaller than 1.25", but it was a killer. However...that sparked my search for an accurate rifle in 7x57 (had a short affair with a 7mm08 , it didn't like any 150-175 either, plus 3 more Siren 7x57s, all broke my heart, fickle lovers) I have had a wad of 280's, to 7mm RUM, and though accurate, wicked killers I could never get my mind off that elusive 7x57 German gal.... I am awaiting my own new to me (its wood is nowhere as pretty as Scotty's!) Mod 70 Fwt . It is a like new .270, I'm having a #2 SS Shilen 25" barrel in 7x57 (Vixen, so alluring!) for one last chance for love....if it doesn't shoot for me, a 280 AI reamer will soothe my aching heart, but I will go on....:)

Last edited:
That sounds like a good one you're putting together Preacher!

Scotty the rifle was a .270 safe queen, no visible sign of ever being fired, and not a scratch on it! It will be pillar bedded, floated and have a Limbsaver pad. I'm having a Rifle Basix trigger put in. My smith is very good at setting them super crisp. I'm going to put my Leupold 3.5x10 on it. There should be zero reason for it not to shoot lights out with something! ha I plan on shooting 150-160 weights. I played with the 139 in the 7mm08, been there, I also shot alot of 175s in 7mm Mags, been there too. I have killed more game in 280-7mm mags really with the wonderful 150 Partition. Yes, I have a double handful of those babies! :) I hope to get it soon, it was all done but the trigger was a gimp from the factory, they replaced it, its in the mail.

Back