Marlin XL/XS-7's are history

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
I was looking on the Marlin website at the 2015 catalog and noticed all the centerfire bolt guns are gone. I did a 'net search and found some comments on other sites alluding to the same and speculating it happened because Remington didn't want the competition for their 783's.

I, for one, thought the Marlin's were very good rifles for the money and the ones I shot were extremely accurate. I imagine I'll pick one up in 25-06 and maybe some other calibers if I come across some deals.

Ron

The Marlin bolt guns were surprisingly well built. After the degradation of fit and finish on the lever guns, the bolt guns were a pleasant surprise. Sorry to see them go. However, I don't believe they ever captured enough market to stay in the line-up.

...the Marlins (& Mossbergs) were very good "entry level" rifles, especially when compared to the Rem 770 or Savage Axis. Remington is going to have a hard time competing w/ the Ruger American...

That's too bad. That's one rifle that was recommended to me a couple of years ago for the wife. I think I will settle on the Savage Axis for her though.

One of the LGS's had stopped stocking the Marlins because their customers preferred the detachable magazines of the American and Axis.

Ron

That's too bad. I really liked that little Marlin. Alot of features for the money.

My brother got a LH'ed Ruger American 270 Winchester for Christmas. Great shooter as well. There are a couple of good rifles for that price point today.

I wish that Remington would sell Marlin. They will always be second fiddle products at Remington. Some company who would care about their product line would be a better match!

Oldtrader3":3buqngfb said:
I wish that Remington would sell Marlin. They will always be second fiddle products at Remington. Some company who would care about their product line would be a better match!
I agree Charlie.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Wonder how one of these would work as a 'donor' action for a future build?

Bbear":8rtecrf5 said:
Wonder how one of these would work as a 'donor' action for a future build?

I have seen a couple on the net and they seem to make great projects.. Similar to a Savage..

Too bad they are shooters!!!! Anna's 7mm-08 is awesome!

My 13 year old girl's group at 200 yards!

Good rifles come and go.

Look at the Savage 99. Excellent rifle. Long gone. :evil:

Yeah Remington wasn't happy just letting the QC on their 700s go to heck they had to take Marlin down too. A real shame that's for certain!!

Buds still has em $325-ish tho?

I had one in 308, a great rifle for the price. I sold it when I bought my tactical, which shoots even better.

I had one in 270 Win. It took about 50-60 rounds to get the loads right, but after that I could feed it 130gn Ballistic Tips, Game Pros, and 140gn Interlocks all day long. For the price of it, I have no complaints. Big Green doesn't want competition for the 783? Hummmm. Seems like the 783 is the one lacking behind the XL7, Weatherby Vanguard, Ruger American, and now Winchester's entry in the entry level rifle arena. My 270 would make 1/2 inch groups from a bipod at 200 yards with H-414 and the 130gn Ballistic Tips.

Probably not many were buying it and that's all no conspiracies. I believe most other budget guns have a detachable magazine and that seems to be a big selling feature these days.

I have one in .270 Win, and it shoots great with 130 and 140 gr Ballistic Tips. 3 shot groups consistently under an inch with several different powders (Accurate 2700, Reloder 17, Alliant 4000MR, IMR-8208XBR). I have been quite pleased how well it shoots , seemingly with most any components. It is also light weight and has a nice trigger. So, of course, Remington would discontinue it. I will be hanging onto mine.

I had a chance to snag one of the Marlin bolt-actions in .280 several years ago. I hesitated and have always regretted it. I'd like to have had it for its uniqueness, and the possibility of it being a good shooter.

Back