Methods of cooling hot barrels

Cleveland48":25ilj09j said:
I hate summer in the Deep South, so I might as well be comfortable too! And lets me get a lot of shooting done in a short amount of time.

You must be close if you are in Deep South Texas. I am way down there where they call the Tip of Texas. It's sure hot down here.

TackDriver284":2cwzf69l said:
Cleveland48":2cwzf69l said:
I hate summer in the Deep South, so I might as well be comfortable too! And lets me get a lot of shooting done in a short amount of time.

You must be close if you are in Deep South Texas. I am way down there where they call the Tip of Texas. It's sure hot down here.
I'm in Mississippi but I've traveled to Texas in the summer and it's hotter than hades there too lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple of thoughts:

1. Hi-Power shooting matches require strings of 20 rounds of slow fire, and 10-round strings of rapid fire. In summer our danged barrels get doggone hot! Better watch which powders are used in your ammo...

2. Years ago, in one of the gun magazines, I saw an article about a fellow who is very serious about his prairie dog shooting, often shooting hundreds of the critters in a day, day after day. He actually built a water jacket, with a pump, to create a water-cooled varmint rifle! Was pretty much a modern version of the cooling mechanism on old water-cooled machineguns.

3. I rely mostly on just opening up the bolt, putting the rifle muzzle up, in the shade and use my .22 for a while as the center-fire rifle cools down.

Guy

Guy Miner":2wrt12ol said:
Couple of thoughts:

1. Hi-Power shooting matches require strings of 20 rounds of slow fire, and 10-round strings of rapid fire. In summer our danged barrels get doggone hot! Better watch which powders are used in your ammo...

2. Years ago, in one of the gun magazines, I saw an article about a fellow who is very serious about his prairie dog shooting, often shooting hundreds of the critters in a day, day after day. He actually built a water jacket, with a pump, to create a water-cooled varmint rifle! Was pretty much a modern version of the cooling mechanism on old water-cooled machineguns.

3. I rely mostly on just opening up the bolt, putting the rifle muzzle up, in the shade and use my .22 for a while as the center-fire rifle cools down.

Guy

You're in Washington Guy.... you can probably wear a flannel to the range and be okay :lol:

And I'm in Idaho Scotty. We haven't had a day below 90 degrees for the last month and it's suppose to be 100 Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. At least our humidity is typically under 20% and many times down near 10%. I'm not looking forward to the heat on my dad and buddies elk opener on Tuesday. It's suppose to be 95 degrees up there. We better get them dead and in the freezer early.

IdahoCTD":1q8i69gw said:
And I'm in Idaho Scotty. We haven't had a day below 90 degrees for the last month and it's suppose to be 100 Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. At least our humidity is typically under 20% and many times down near 10%. I'm not looking forward to the heat on my dad and buddies elk opener on Tuesday. It's suppose to be 95 degrees up there. We better get them dead and in the freezer early.

Touché Nathan.

The heat is wicked back east right now. I couldn't Imagine trying to get an elk out at 90*.

I wish you and your dad a ton of luck with the elk hunting coming up. I can't wait to hear about the hunts. My first elk hunt is Oct in Wyoming.

SJB358":2yv3iylq said:
Guy Miner":2yv3iylq said:

Guy

You're in Washington Guy.... you can probably wear a flannel to the range and be okay :lol:

Often, but not this summer. Hitting over 90 and into the low 100's pretty regularly here this summer.

Sun is scorching! I've been doing my best to find something to do in the shade or even indoors pretty much every afternoon.

Guy

Aluminum rod as a heat sink. It cools in ice water while I shoot, then goes in the barrel to help cool it down

On hot days I'll use the Barrel Cool device between shots to ward off heat build up. Usually a minute or two on a hot day. After 3-6 shots the rifle is stood up allowing the chimney effect to cool the barrel until it is ambient temperature again.

I typically bring 3 rifles to the range on any given day. When one is cooling another is heating up. :>)

Cleveland48":1i35krc4 said:
TackDriver284":1i35krc4 said:
Cleveland48":1i35krc4 said:

I'm in Mississippi but I've traveled to Texas in the summer and it's hotter than hades there too lol.

Cleveland, MS? Oh I've killed a pile of rabbits down there. A great buddy of mine lives in Rosedale on the river side of the levee on the water.

drakehammer":2ijkpduv said:
Cleveland48":2ijkpduv said:
TackDriver284":2ijkpduv said:
Cleveland48":2ijkpduv said:

Cleveland, MS? Oh I've killed a pile of rabbits down there. A great buddy of mine lives in Rosedale on the river side of the levee on the water.

Cleveland is my last name I live very close to Tupelo, MS. There is great rabbit hunting down there though!

Cleveland48":20fethrk said:
drakehammer":20fethrk said:
Cleveland48":20fethrk said:
TackDriver284":20fethrk said:
Cleveland48 said:

Cleveland is my last name I live very close to Tupelo, MS. There is great rabbit hunting down there though!

[emoji1303]. I lived east of Memphis for five years.

TackDriver284":12amp2y1 said:
I imagined this method, use my aerator air pump that we use for keeping live bait and take a small cheap ice chest and drill a small hole on the top to run a small hose through it. With the ice chest (with ice)is closed, pump running inside and leave the other end of the hose in your chamber to blow cool air through it.

Barrels do get pretty hot after 3 rounds especially the 7mm and 300 Magnums.

That's exactly what I use. Bought a cheap battery-powered minnow aerator. The hose on it fits a large primer pocket. I stick a deprimed case on the hose then into the chamber. It cuts barrel cooling time by half...

Back