MINOX?

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
This scope is a hero to some poster on here and I'm looking for some info...
Please chime in on these scopes as i know next to nothing about them.
From where are they made...to any issues you may have had and of course the customer service with that.

I have experience with cheap tasco's to swarovski's and just about every scope in between but have no experience let alone even some knowledge of Minox.

Thanks

300WSM, I like them alot buddy. I heard about them a few years ago from Greg Nolan I think. When I first saw them, I thought they were pretty sharp. Somewhere along the way, 257 Ackley knew I needed a scope and he had a 3x9 with the #4 reticle in it. He sent it to me to try it and WOW. I was very impressed, It is assembled in the states, the components are made in Germany, Czexh or somewhere in that area. The glass is Schott, same as Conquest. Can't say for certain it is any better than the Zeiss, but it just as good to my eyes. They are clear, have decent dials on them, and the price cannot be beat. I have sold pretty much every VX3 I had and replaced it with a Minox. I have two 3x9's and one 2-10. The 3x9 started on my 7WSM, and not it sits on my 35 Whelen, the other 3x9 is on my son's 7x57 Mauser M70. The 2-10 is on my 338WM. The dials are resettable so if you have a decent drop chart, it can be moved pretty easily and accurately. I have shot mine out to 600 so far with great results. The clicks aren't are hard as a Nightforce or even the CDS reticle, but to my eyes, it blasts a VX3 outta the water.

Not sure about the Customer Service aspect of them right now. Haven't had a failure yet? I will certainly report back if and when they take a crap and how they handle it.

The prices for the Open Box Specials or Demo models on CameralandNY are really good. Really, some of the best I have seen. I wanted to go with a Zeiss on a rifle, but for the prices I am able to get Minox's for, I can't spend the extra money. Not saying a bad thing at all about Zeiss, but I think my glass is just as good. They do have alot of eye relief, if that bothers you, then you might not like them. Me, being a long necked feller, I like them. It allows me to mount them pretty far forward. I like the adjustments and power ring. It allows easy manipulation of them with gloved paws.

I put a link to Camerland and Minox on here, so you can check them out. They make a sweet 3x15-44mm objective, which would be about the ultimate scope for me, but they do not include a Side Focus, so it is a little lacking. They do include the Side Focus for the 50mm tubes though..

http://www.cameralandny.com/demos-minox.html

http://www.minox.com/index.php?id=jagdoptik&L=1

I also have a set of 8x42 Binos I bought for my son and they are as clear and visually awesome as my Zeiss Victory 10x42 RF's. Again, I paid 110.00 for the bino's versus the 2500 for the Zeiss. They are built pretty nicely too. I just can't find anything to really complain about except for the SF on the 3x15's.. I am pretty sure another couple 2-10's will find their way onto a few of my hunting rifles. I love being able to dial AND having the #4 reticle. Hope this helped a little.

I think you might have found the Minox guy? :lol:

Schott Glass Werk is owned by Zeiss. Schott glass in made in different countries (i.e czech Republic) to serve different markets, price points and optical quality needs for industrial and sport's use. Having at one time, been an engineer in an optical lens company, my guess is that Schott Optic offers all of the range of optical grade glasses including ED (extra Dispersion) formulations. This is based on having spent a little time perusing the Schott Optik site. They also make many different industrial grade glass products for industry.

Minox has been making some consumer optical devices which I am familiar with since shortly after WWII. For many years, Minox made a small, half frame (spy?) camera which was quite popular in Europe and I remember seeing them for sale in American PX's on US military bases in Germany during the early 1960's while I was stationed there. The camera products were followed by a line of small binoculars, opera and sport's glasses which I first saw for sale in Germany in the late 1980's.

Minox products have always been high quality for their cost and usually fairs well in optical comparisons against higher priced competitors from other countries. Their scopes are no exception. I bought a Minox 2-10x40, Model ZA-5 scope over two years ago, when they first became popular in this country and have not been disappointed in the choice of this product and certainly not for the price that I paid. The scope has held adjustment and is mounted on a very accurate .30-06 which has continued to perform at my level of accuracy expectation with this scope during the entire time that I have owned it.

That is great to know as I just got off the phone with Tim who owns RMR he is getting me a price on a ZA5 3-15 X 42mm. I have asked for the BDC reticle!
Tim advised that he would be back to me as soon as possible as I also asked for prices on a few other items such as Boyt rifle hard cover case :lol:

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":nb2ic25y said:
That is great to know as I just got off the phone with Tim who owns RMR he is getting me a price on a ZA5 3-15 X 42mm. I have asked for the BDC reticle!
Tim advised that he would be back to me as soon as possible as I also asked for prices on a few other items such as Boyt rifle hard cover case :lol:

Blessings,
Dan

If Corlanes doesn't have one here is another option for you Dan or any other Canadian on this site, when I do get around to ordering a Minox it will likely be from here. Really liking the 3-9X40 or 2-10X40 myself.

http://www.workwearcanada.com/products/ ... ategory=41

Those are REALLY good prices for Canada!

Gerry, I think either the 2-10 or the 3x9 will do you well buddy. I have both and cannot wait to get my next one.

Thanks for the info so far.
Right now I have this particular project narrowed to
Zeiss
Minox
Kahles

Zeiss and Kahles I have experience with. Nothing with the Minox but so far I like what I'm reading.

Any of the three scopes you name will serve you well. At the moment, Kahles does not have a repair facility Stateside. Both Zeiss and Minox are warrantied and repaired in facilities in the United States.

I have all three of these scopes as well (like DrMike). The Kahles scopes are in a class by themselves, especially the 1" tubed models which were produced in the early 2000's, in the US with Austrian components, until the breakup with Swarovski. An equivalent Kahles (made in Austria) now cost twice what the similar model sold for then.

So, FWIW, I would buy an older 1" Kahles scope in a "Country Minute", compared to anyone else's product in the $500-600 price range. Beyond that statement, I would rate my Conquests and my Minox 2-10x40 as equal in capability. I have tested them all with an Air Force Resolution chart at 25 yards, 1/2 hour after dusk, for contrast and resolution and: what one scope gives up to the other (Conquest vs. Minox) is reversed in the next comparison to the extent that I can not call one really "better" than the other optically. I would, if forced, pick the Conquest simply because of reputation and longer history.

Others here have remarked on issues with "pincushion" and "barrel distortion" characteristics with both scope models. I personally, have never seen this but I do not look through scopes regularly in stores and have all that I need presently. This is something to be aware of and check the particular scope that you buy for these defects.

I do agree that if you can find one of the Kahles made prior to the break-up with Swarovski, you will have found a bargain. I have three of them, and they are superb. They won't be going out the door anytime soon. I've tested the 3-9 Kahles against the Leupold VX6 and Swarovski Z6 at first light. The Kahles compares quite favourably to the Swarovski. Still, should one require warranty, it could prove to be a hassle.

DrMike, I have been concerned about warrantee on my (2) kahles scopes as well. I even wrote a nice letter to the newly appointed Service Manager for N. American Kahles Service about their future plans for US service. Multiple choice: He blew me off or: Nicht sprecken Amerikanisher, take your pick. Either way, I am afraid that Kahles service focus here is about as strong as their marketing and promotional focus. I hope this changes.

I think that Kahles emerged and much weaker company after Swarovski picked them clean of whatever intel. property and technology what they wanted and discarded what they did not need. Still a great design and scope. I hope that they come back soon.

They do stand by their products, just, it takes awhile to process back to Austria. In the meantime, my scopes are 10 years old and have never failed to operate as intended.

Your experience mirrors mine, Charlie. I do like my Kahles scopes; they are excellent in every respect. I had occasion to contact warranty to ask about a new gasket at the end of the scope. Ultimately, after multiple efforts, the techs in Austria advised using Loctite to reattach the gasket. I did so, and have had no other problem. I was happy to do this so as not to require sending my scope to Europe for warranty.

DrMike, I found a source (SWFA) and bought (3) elastomer eye piece gaskets about five years ago while they still carried Kahles spares. I have one left. I also figured out about using a drop of Loctite to help secure the gasket. That has helped. Actually, my Swarovski and Kahles eye piece gaskets are the same design and are interchangeable, at least on my scopes. Useful to know if you are in a bind.

Good intel, Charlie. I'll keep that in mind. This was the first eye piece gasket I've had a problem with in many years. That last one was on a B&L 3000. I finally bought six gaskets, and used them all before I got rid of the scope.

DrMike, Glad to have helped. I think that the issue sometimes with European sourced gaskets and o-ring parts is that they do not use a UV Stabilized grade of thermoset polymer in these parts. They do not have as much sunlight and they hunt more at night from stands. I have had problems in the past with other (German sourced) soft polymeric parts and other gaskets because of this issue. Just a thought.

I just purchased a Minox and pretty excited. :grin:
I will be able to give an initial comparison of the Minox Z5 4-20x50 BDC and Vortex Viper 4-16x50 HS BDC this weekend. I own two of the Viper HS scopes and now this Minox. :mrgreen:

DrMike":2aiuve6b said:
Any of the three scopes you name will serve you well. At the moment, Kahles does not have a repair facility Stateside. Both Zeiss and Minox are warrantied and repaired in facilities in the United States.

I did not know that. The place I had managed a few years ago I bought Kahles and Swarovski for inventory stock. The Kahles were bad ass for the money...I had no idea of the break up because all was good on the Austrian partnership thing when I moved to greener pastures.

Just when you think you have a handle on the industry you find something new out. :lol:

Ok so with no service available in the states would it still be worth tracking down a Kahles?

Back