MINOX?

nvbroncrider":35ywyaq2 said:
I'll give you the comparison to the Z6. Did you read about the new ZEi Minox coming out this fall? 30mm tube! It's listed on the Minox site.

This is the scope line that has my interest right now. Just waiting to see where their price points are at to see if it will be a good option. The 30mm tube models will all be made in Germany instead of being assembled in the US. If they can bring these scopes into the US for 7-800.00, the VX-6 will have a hard time competing. I wish they would make a 3-15X44 with side focus and target turrets...would be perfect for many of the flat shooting calibers that can be used for dialing up 5-800 yard shots.

The ZE-i line sounds interesting. Illuminated reticles are pretty much the rage at this point. I don't like the larger objective lenses in this line, however.

Mike -
I have always had the same line of thinking. An interesting situation happened to me yesterday when I went to the range to do some load work for the 6.5 WSM. I have been waiting to decide if I was going to buy a 30mm tubed Leica scope or wait for the new Minox scopes to hit the market. I put a 5.5-22X50 NF scope on the rifle to work loads up while decisions are being made :roll: . The cheek weld on the featherweight stock was spot on for me with low Badger rings on a 20moa rail. There was still plenty of space between the bottom of the lens and the barrel, which made it even more surprising for me.

For most hunting applications, I would still prefer a scope in the 40-44 mm objective range, but for longer distance shooting where you will need to dial w&e, the larger objectives can work on some hunting rifles.

Now, Joel, don't mess with my biases. :wink: Actually, I pull the trigger on quite a few rifles with the larger objectives. For the range, or for shooting at long range, the difference can be helpful. You are correct that the cheek weld on the newer scopes is still excellent, even with the larger objectives. I suppose, when it gets down to it, it is an aesthetic thing for me. I even like the 32 mm objectives better than the 40-42 mm objectives. :grin:

My favorite hunting scope is the 3-9X36 Swarovski on my 7mm-08 that weighs 6.5 lbs total. It has incredible glass and gives me a power range that works for almost all applications. With that being said, a scope like that doesn't give the best opportunity to reach the potential of the 6.5 WSM or a 300 RUM like Brian uses.

I have come to realize that there are better scopes for LR shooting that require you to dial the e&w based on drop charts developed from bullet BC's, known velocities and environental conditions. This is what has led me away from some of the more traditional scopes that most of us use for hunting situations. The big problem is finding light enough scopes that will allow you to carry them all day in the mountains for us old fat guys :mrgreen: .

Yeah, and some are older and fatter than others. :shock: Those need to be exceptionally careful in rifle/scope weights.

I certainly like my Leica, Scotty. And you know I like Swarovskis--I have a growing number atop various rifles.

Scotty you can not go wrong with either of those 2 picks. I have never owned a Swarovski but I have looked through a few.
I really like Leupold but now that I have looked through my Leica I believe I would take the Leica over the Leupold :shock:

Blessings,
Dan

I really like Leupold but now that I have looked through my Leica I believe I would take the Leica over the Leupold :shock:

Well, I guess! :grin: I've never steered you wrong, Dan.

sask boy":3jpdhy0m said:
Scotty you can not go wrong with either of those 2 picks. I have never owned a Swarovski but I have looked through a few.

Blessings,
Dan

This is one of the problems that happens when you start down the path of quality :roll: . Ignorance is bliss I guess...why do those darn German companies have to make the quality products that make us go deeper into our wallets? I'm glad to see that some of the optic manufacturers that were in the tactical/competition arena are starting to realize there is a huge market in the hunting market that they can tap into. We are finally seeing more reticle choices and turret options on scopes for those that want to shoot longer distances that are substantially lighter than the tanks made for tactical applications.

Back