MODEL 70 280 Remington BUILD HAS BEGUN

Ridgerunner665":3cc3cqs5 said:
You sent me those 165 grain Accubonds a while back...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
I appreciate that. I was just poking fun at myself. I think, or at least try to get folks here to spend their hard earned dollars on good quality dreams that they have wanted forever but have been for some reason or another been putting it off. I think I needed a bump or two myself.

So unless someone talks me out of it, I think it's gonna be a 280AI. JD you can rest easy now. 1 - 9 twist in a 24" barrel. I have contemplated putting a 26" barrel on it in the standard contour for the Model 70. Been mulling that one over a bit too. I am leaning towards the 24 though. Good ballistics and maybe a bit better to carry.

I'd go with 24"...but I never cared for long barrels...don't really like carrying the 24"...but I do enjoy that extra little bit of velocity it offers over 22".

The 280AI will reach a looooong ways from a 24" barrel....

At equal pressures the 280 AI is good for about 50 fps more at most over the standard 280 Rem. I would go with the standard 280 myself, I believe that was your first choice and you won't miss the couple of extra fps in the field. Or just go with a barrel 1" longer to make up the difference :lol:

That 50 fps will come in handy with the heavier bullets...:idea:

With the proper free bore to take advantage of the longer bullets offered in 7mm the standard 280 can be hot rodded to get the extra velocity to equal the AI round.

I have two .280s. Honestly, I've never felt cheated because they weren't Improved cartridges.

6mm, don't be afraid of the 26" barrel the extra 25-50fps never hurts. If you don't like the length you can always shorten. Just my 2 cents worth :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

I'm not sure you'd make a bad choice either way. Both the 280 Rem and AI are awesome performers.

I personally have nothing against the 270. They work very well. I was just ribbing a friend about shooting the donor.

If the 280 AI is being considered, count me on that band wagon! Just 100 fps more of a good thing.

Jake I know you were just joking. No harm no foul. I think we all took it the right way. I do appreciate all the input. Who knew it would be this difficult! Now who out there has a Model 70 and wants this 270 Winchester barrel off of it to replace a worn out one or maybe a build of their own??

Great minds sir; great minds! I just picked up a PF M70 LW in 06 that had a badly pitted barrel.

Chet hooked me up w/ a lovely take-off in .280 Rem which I sent down to Dave at IT&D and am expecting my new .280 AI sometime in the next couple of weeks!

Whew ha!

Good luck on the .280 Rem; on a classic it'd be freakin' brilliant!

David, as mentioned Aleena used a 280 AI on her Marco Polo hunt successfully. A friend up this way has one that he swears by and uses it for sheep, goat and caribou. His is built on a win 70, pre 64 and I ask him about the feeding and he said it obviously is not as slick as the regular 280 but he has never had a feeding problem with his 280 AI. As has been mentioned earlier on this thread, it helps that you are using a CRF action for your built.

I think you will be very happy with the AI decision

I have owned two 280's, but never an AI improved. I have a cobbled together 98 that used to put them inside of a dime many years back. When I get a little time I will pull her out of the safe, and get it out in the sunshine.

6mm Remington":1eqq1caw said:
Ridgerunner665":1eqq1caw said:
You sent me those 165 grain Accubonds a while back...

I appreciate that. I was just poking fun at myself. I think, or at least try to get folks here to spend their hard earned dollars on good quality dreams that they have wanted forever but have been for some reason or another been putting it off. I think I needed a bump or two myself.

So unless someone talks me out of it, I think it's gonna be a 280AI. JD you can rest easy now. 1 - 9 twist in a 24" barrel. I have contemplated putting a 26" barrel on it in the standard contour for the Model 70. Been mulling that one over a bit too. I am leaning towards the 24 though. Good ballistics and maybe a bit better to carry.

David,

Excellent choice. You will not be disappointed with the 280 AI. and the cool factor is way up there! :mrgreen:
FWIW, my build consists of a 700 action blueprinted, Hart #5 24" fluted, Tubb recoil lug, pillar bedded in a LSS stock. The chamber is throated long so I can seat the bullets way out there.
DSCN00621_zps12173a1c.jpg

280AI.jpg

280AI140grBT210.jpg

JD338

The 280 was another one I wanted but could never find one on the self. I like to play with them a little before I buy. :roll: :lol:

JD, it is those types of groups I am hoping for :wink:. You are placing a lot of pressure on this old guy :wink:. I am hoping that my groups are 1/2 that good.
Thanks post the photos!!

Blessings,
Dan

Talked to my smith and it's a .280AI and he's going to put a 24" stainless 1-9 barrel on it. He's going to work the trigger and pillar and glass bed. He's also going to true up the action and bolt face, the bolt lugs, and do the whole ball of wax to get the action perfect before he puts the barrel on it. Can't see not doing that really. It makes sense while it's in parts to make it perfect before you assemble. :oops: :shock: He likes Krieger but they are several months out. It will be a Krieger or a Shilen barrel. A buddy of mine does the coating so he will do a satin black color on the barrel and action. Not sure now though. I like the look of the black action with that Stainless barrel that you have JD. Damn you people!!

Wow, that should be everything you have ever wanted right there David. What a sweet combo of parts! I can't wait to see what it does and what it looks like when it is all finished up.

Back