Model 70 Coyote in .223 WSM

cavpilot

Beginner
Feb 8, 2006
I'm trying to develop an accurate (vs. fast) load for a Winchester M 70 Coyote in .223 WSM. I've tried a variety of bullets and powders but still not satisfied. I'm getting 1.5" to 2" groups or worse at 100yds from the bench. Has anyone else experimented with this rifle/caliber combination and come up with a good formula? I'm starting to think some of the problem is in the rifle and thinking about looking into accurizing. Any help or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

With a setup like that you should be breaking 1/2" at 100. Maybe you got a lemon! Try 50 gr BT with 4064. Never seen a good 223 NOT shoot this load.

If its the 223 WSSM, then your results aren't that out of the ordinary from what I've been reading lately. Them short fat suckers just seem to be a pain to get to shoot for some. Been a lot of problems with the 243 and 25 WSSM's getting to shoot in Winchester rifles as well. I think its a winchester problem and would bet that somethings wrong with the barrel. You should be getting at worst 1.5" 3 shot groups at 100 yards, and should have no problems getting under 1".

Thanks. You've pretty much confirmed my thoughts on this and my expectations of this rifle. I have an A-Bolt in .300 WSM and it's a tack driver; I think the short mag concept is a good one. I'm going to look into accurizing and see if it makes a difference. Thanks again.

I shoot a 243 wssm in a browning and have 3 friends shooting them also played around with loads from "handloads.com" have had pretty good luck check out the site,and i have had some loads that just don't shoot so scrap them you might be pushing to fast when i went down 2 gr form the max loads was the best groups good luck :grin:

I have a Win 70 Super Shadow 223 WSSM. My results so far have been mixed. I recently discovered that a dollar bill hangs up in places while passing between barrel and stock. So I replaced the stock with the one I took off my 243 WSSM when I installed a laminated stock on that gun. Results are improving. So far, my best group is .8" using 44 grains of Varget to push a 50 grain V-Max moly at 3900 FPS. I may end up bedding the old stock since I have one to play with. Let me know your results and I will do the same.
By the way, I have a Coyote Lite 300 WSM and it shoots gr8 groups.

remingtonman_25_06":crda5nj7 said:
If its the 223 WSSM, then your results aren't that out of the ordinary from what I've been reading lately. Them short fat suckers just seem to be a pain to get to shoot for some. Been a lot of problems with the 243 and 25 WSSM's getting to shoot in Winchester rifles as well. I think its a winchester problem and would bet that somethings wrong with the barrel. You should be getting at worst 1.5" 3 shot groups at 100 yards, and should have no problems getting under 1".

I wish you would confine your negative comments to guns that you actually own - or at least have shot. I have a 'Wally World Special' Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow in 243 WSSM that shoots .5 MOA.
And you should be careful about being willing to bet - someone just might take you up on it.

Back