Model 70 question

OU812

Handloader
Apr 18, 2006
On the model 70's should the mag box free float around? This is my first model 70 and my mag box is tight and does not move. My only experience is with Weatherbys and Remingtons and the mag box floats on those rifles.

I don't know what you mean by the mag box floats. I have a Weatherby Vanguard and several M700's and a M70 and all the mag boxes fit snug in the receiver and stock no shake or rattle.

truck driver":31bujue6 said:
I don't know what you mean by the mag box floats. I have a Weatherby Vanguard and several M700's and a M70 and all the mag boxes fit snug in the receiver and stock no shack or rattle.

It's a very slight movement, not near loose enough to rattle but can be moved slightly with finger pressure. It's just free enough to not be binding.

I have not owned a Remington 700 or Weatherby that would not do this. My CDL 300 Rum mag box moves every so slightly.

Mine don't bind but they fit snug. I can take the action out of the wood and they will still be in the action and not fall off.

Maybe "free float" was not the best choice of words to describe the fit. If I open the bottom plate and put my fingers in the mag box they all move slightly but the 70 does not.

I understand and mine is tight which I think is a good thing and wouldn't want it to move as I think it would cause feeding problems.

I can see that and it makes sense. With Remingtons I have always been told the mag box should move a little other wise your binding the action, and like I said all my Weatherbys mag boxes moved every so slightly. Maybe the model 70 isn't supposed to move? My Ruger M77's mag box does not move either.

My mag boxes sit tight in the receiver. They do not touch anything below but the bottom metal slightly Bill.

Is your 264 shooting oddly Bill or just a general question?

SJB358":2k0zyhl8 said:
My mag boxes sit tight in the receiver. They do not touch anything below but the bottom metal slightly Bill.

Is your 264 shooting oddly Bill or just a general question?

Just a question Scotty as the model 70 is new to me. No so far I have 64.5 shooting just under MOA at 3053 fps and 66.0 under MOA at 3110 fps. The 66.0 load put 1 and 3 touching and the 2nd shot opened the group to just under MOA.

I'm going to revisit the 66.5 load which I had shot previously. That load put the first 2 damn near touching and it threw the 3rd which may have been me due to heat waves coming up from the barrel, should have waited longer for the 3rd shot.

What COL did you run with Retumbo? I'm at 2.665 with my comparator.

I'd have to check my notes Bill. Give me a minute and I will get back to you.

Seems like your doing real well with Retumbo Bill. 3100+ should be easy on brass and still hit real hard.

Bill, I don't have a comparator measurement but my COAL for the 140 AB is 3.295".

Thanks Scotty. I'll check and see where I'm at COAL wise.

Back