Mounted some scopes

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I got a Wheeler Scope Mounting Kit for Christmas. First thoughts are, man, I don't know why I didn't get this 10 years ago. Everything seems to be pretty nice, easy to use. Used the lapping bars to lap the rings and also used the alignment bars on some of my older Redfield type mounts. The levels work well. They were very easy on the M70's and I had to get a little creative with the M700.. Either way, great piece of kit and well worth the money if you are ever monkeying with scopes. It is kinda scary how much out of plumb a few of my scopes were.

Anyhow, the first one I did was my son's M70 7x57 Featherweight. He also received a 3x9 Minox for Christmas from Grandpa. I aligned the rings, lapped them and then mounted the scope. Using the torque wrench takes the guess work right outta the whole deal. Very confidence inspiring.

EB99479A.jpg

0993BB7B.jpg

Next up was my M70 7WSM. It had a Minox 3x9 with a #4 reticle in it. I pulled that scope, lapped the Leupold PRW rings a little and dropped in a VXIII 3.5x10 with Target Turrets. I am not sure if I like this scope, but I think it'll make for a better overall set up as my 7WSM is supposed to be my long hauler.

FF230D3C.jpg

F5DD2603.jpg

The last one on the list was the Whelen. I pulled the old Leupold VXI 3x9 off it, aligned and lapped the rings and set the Minox 3x9 with the #4 reticle in there! Magic. It is an awesome set up, I know I am going to like that one alot.

79E0FCCA.jpg

7E7ED3A1.jpg

If you guys move scopes and don't have a kit like this, check them out. Very complete. I am still building my gunsmithing tools and would like to add some punches, an actual screw driver set, but I am getting there. Anyhow, figured I would show you what I have been working with. Might put that old 3x9 on my coyote rig for the Winter. Or heck, it might just go on my 22 Magnum?

Don't poke too much fun at the bench, it is usually messier! Scotty

I too got a Wheeler Scope ... tool just recently. Like you I was "why haven't I got one of these years ago." Seems like I play musical scopes on a few of my guns and this tool just made my life (hopefully shooting) much easier.

This is one tool I would recommend.

+1 Scotty

If you come up with any cool tricks or tips using this too, please pass it along.

nvbroncrider":3116tv7o said:
Sweet Scotty. I have the punch set and really like it. I really like that stock on 7WSM

Thanks guys, I just watched the video and went to work. That lapping bar works great. I rubbed some in the rings and then added a little as I went. As the bar started to work loosely, I tightened the rings a hair. Seemed to work well in getting the 60-80% of the rings they recommended.

Thanks NV. I have its twin in a 270WSM as well. They are some great shooting rifles with nothing but trigger jobs. I know they could probably use proper bedding, but they both shoot way to well to mess with just yet. Scotty

Scotty,

Pretty cool. Do you have a link?

JD338

Thanks a lot, man, you just made me add something else to the 'gotta have' list! :)

I do have a ton of scopes to mount (still!).

I knew there was something else I needed in the tool dept! Thanks for sharing your experience. I think those laminated M70's are great. My son's New Haven Coyote has the heavy laminated stock. I checkered it for him, and it came out good. Those glue layers ate up about 4 of the Dem-Bart cutters, and it was a challenge to get uniformity for sure. On the scopes - I worry about scope binding and twist, and movement in the rings due to recoil with additional preload. At least that's my excuse for the birthday comin' up. :grin:
EE2

BK":2x1qnvrh said:
Thanks a lot, man, you just made me add something else to the 'gotta have' list! :)

I can't believe you don't have one! You have more scopes than Cabelas! Scotty

elkeater2":3nmucdmx said:
I knew there was something else I needed in the tool dept! Thanks for sharing your experience. I think those laminated M70's are great. My son's New Haven Coyote has the heavy laminated stock. I checkered it for him, and it came out good. Those glue layers ate up about 4 of the Dem-Bart cutters, and it was a challenge to get uniformity for sure. On the scopes - I worry about scope binding and twist, and movement in the rings due to recoil with additional preload. At least that's my excuse for the birthday comin' up. :grin:
EE2

Same here EE2. I really think it is a good kit. Most all the tools feel pretty solid and if I can't break it, most will struggle to break it as well! :twisted:

I have wanted to checker my laminates as well, but hear the same things about how hard they are.. Ah well, they aren't really that bad to me anyhow.

I'd send you a couple of my rifles and scopes, but I wonder if I'd ever see them again! :mrgreen: Those are a couple of good looking rifles mounted up as they are.

You gotta bring that kit down this weekend! The 300RUM is in need of the new Leupold 3.5-10 CDS.

Woodycreek":1yetl4n1 said:
You gotta bring that kit down this weekend! The 300RUM is in need of the new Leupold 3.5-10 CDS.

Rgr, I will bring it along. Even got a decent 3 drawer tool box to keep a few tools in. Trying to stay ahead of the mess.

Mike, you send them over and I'll make sure they get taken care of!

Scotty those are some nice looking rifles! Man I bet your son cannot wait to get out and shoot that 7x57!!

I wish I would have done the scope mounting set like you did and gotten it all in one swoop. They didn't have it put together in a set when I got mine. I have the Wheeler inch pound gauge, the level - level - level, and the lapping bars, but not the alignment bar, but maybe soon. I agree that it's a great set-up to have. I think it lends itself to even just a bit more confidence in knowing that you got it "just right"!

Now get out there and show us some results!
David

I need a larger tool box at home myself just to keep in the reloading room to help make sure everything is where it should be. Good idea.

Scotty not sure how big your three drawer tool box is and if it's one you want to throw in the truck when you go to the range every time, but I found something that does work. I purchased a fairly large, but not huge tackle box to put all my cleaning equipment and some tools in that I do take to the range with me all the time. I've found it's just easier to clean everything at the range before I come home, and then I don't have to mess with it later on.

I labeled all the many compartments for caliber sizes, and I have plenty of room for copper brushes, different size rod tips, patches, and many other smaller tools and items. The large bottom compartment also has enough room for my Wheeler inch pound wrench and some of the bigger items.

Santa was very good to you!

I need a range box that doubles as a cleaning rest. Seen them a 100 times, but just haven't gotten one yet! Might have to grab one. It would certainly aid me with bench clutter.

Oh, the three drawer tool box is pretty decent carrying size, but it is filled with tools.

I was very surprised the first time that I used my friend's ring lapping kit. Some of my rings were barely making 20% contact with my scope. Once lapped, I have more confidence that I'm not tweaking a scope when I torque it down.

Good looking irons there. Your bench looks just as a reloading bench should. Used!

beretzs":1hptfv61 said:
BK":1hptfv61 said:

I can't believe you don't have one! You have more scopes than Cabelas! Scotty

Bass Pro Shops maybe, but not Cabelas.

After going to your link I realized we were talking about two different tools from Wheeler Engineering. This is the tool I bought. Aligns scope reticle to the gun.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...eticle-leveling-system?cm_vc=2130BrandPopProd

After reading about the alignment for the rings I think you may have cost me some more $$ to get that also. I've been doing the old eye ball method of dropping scope in and "feel" for any miss alignment in rings. Last few base / rings I bought have been the one piece from Talley. They seem to be working so far - no problems.

Teknys":1vbmp03g said:
After going to your link I realized we were talking about two different tools from Wheeler Engineering. This is the tool I bought. Aligns scope reticle to the gun.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/18...eticle-leveling-system?cm_vc=2130BrandPopProd

After reading about the alignment for the rings I think you may have cost me some more $$ to get that also. I've been doing the old eye ball method of dropping scope in and "feel" for any miss alignment in rings. Last few base / rings I bought have been the one piece from Talley. They seem to be working so far - no problems.

I wanted that leveler as well. Right now, it seems like the Level, Level, Level is working okay though. It works excellent on the Winchesters, but I had to use the front base on the Remington. For some reason I couldn't find the spot for the level inside the chamber area.

I also used the lapping bar for the Leupold PRW's and it worked excellent on those as well. I didn't have to do much to them, but the scope seems to fit very nicely in there now. I was a little easy on it, as I wouldn't want to take too much, but I think what I am really doing is evening out the coating that is on the rings. I noticed you don't need much TQ on the screws for the scope to be really locked down either. I was amazed at how well the rings grabbed after the lapping process. Overall, I am very happy with the kit. Matter of fact, I may do a few more scopes today and I know I have a few that are probably a little out of plumb.

Back