Muzzleloader all set.

pre6422hornet

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
Well I went out and shot the TC Prohunter one last time:

a. To verify the 115gr of Blackhorn and 350 gr Kodiaks in MMP orange sabots.
b. To move back to 200 to figure out the drop with the ballistic reticle of the Burris scope.

When I left the range last time, I was about an inch low at 100. I gave the scope the appropriate clicks up and fired the first two shots out of a clean barrel. Both were touching one another but about 4 inches high. I had forgot that I had already moved the elevation up after last range session.. uh oh..

I clicked it back down and fired a few and verified it was dead on at 100.

Now out to 200. I fired three Kodiaks and looked through the spotter to verify what I saw through the scope. A nice triangle centered about 10-9 inches low. About an 8 inch group. I truly believe with more practice that group would shrink considerable. I haven't been able to shoot as much as I would like.

I then shot two Speer 350 grainers and they were about the same.

First off I was amazed when I got home and measured the drop at 9 inches on the dot. That drop matches up to the second tic on the ballistic reticle on the scope. Then I realized that even if I hold with the main crosshair, all I would need to hold is top of shoulder... no need to mess with the reticle out to 200.

I am really happy I switched to Blackhorn. Great powder. Bring on the season.

I have had similar luck with the blackhorn powder in my Encore. Very impressive groups, good velocity, and easy clean up. Sound like your all dailed in, good luck on our hunt.

Thanks guys.

Dr. Mike the muzzleloader season opens up on Oct 10 and runs through the 14. I am heading up on the 9th. I have two guys up there right now with Archery tags and when they return to the land of cell phone signal, I should have some pretty good intel. On the 5th they both called in bulls to about 80 yards, but could not seal the deal. They backed out till the 10th and i have not heard from them yet.

All my gear is assembled except for a BLM stamp and habitat stamp. I am afraid to weigh my pack as I am sure it is tipping the scales at 65-80 pounds....

Back