Need Scope for new 7mm 08

dezmick

Beginner
Mar 5, 2011
I just ordered a Browning X-bolt 7mm 08, now i need to put some glass on it, i will be using it for deer hunting in eastern Oregon, any suggestions would help, i really do not want to spend more than $500.00 on a new scope. Thanks

dezmick

The new Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm is made to order for your rifle and hunting requirements. This scope is small and compact but is very bright with high resolution. On the low end, the 2.5x is perfect for up close and quick shooting. The 8x setting is more than enough magnification to shoot a 6" black bullseye at 500 yds. Deer at that range is well within the capabilities of this scope. This scope will also come in about $100 under your budget. Lifetime warranty and world class customer service make it tough to beat.

JD338

You should also look through a Zeiss Conquest in 3-9x40. Either if these us going to make you very happy, and come in under your budget.

What Jim said or a 3x9 Leupy compact is great too.

Either scope suggested would be excellent for the caliber you purchased (nice choice by the way 8). We all have our favorites, so it comes down to application and which one looks the best to your eye. Who offers you the reticle that you like, will most of the hunting be spot and stalk, how long will your shots be, what time of day do you see most game if you are posted in a stand? Answering some of these questions may help you decide which scope is best for you.

Yes to all of the above, except I'm not a real big fan of the Leupy compact scopes. Or a fixed power Leupy, 4x or 6x.

I like the suggestions of the 3x9 Zeiss Conquest or the 2.5-8x36 Leupold, but being the fixed power guy that I am, I also think the nice 6x36mm Leupold would be a dandy on that rifle!

i already own a Meopta Meostar 3-10x50 that is now sitting on my Bworning X-bolt 7mm WSM, it's a great scope, that i got for an even greater price, now i know that i will not be able to get something that good for my 7mm 08, but i was thinking of maybe getting the Leupold VX-R in 3-9x50, it is a bit more than i wanted to spend at $550.00, but i like it, any opinions on it, or maybe something like the new Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44, they both have 30mm tubes and great glass, and the Vortex is only $350.00.

Dezmick -
As mentioned in another post in this section, you usually need to use higher rings to mount a 50mm scope on a rifle which does not allow a proper cheek weld when mounting the rifle to your shoulder. Meopta makes good optics, but they are heavier than some other scopes in the price range you are looking at.

Check out this link and see if one of the Zeiss scopes in a 3-9X40 won't give you what you need. There is a demo unit if you scroll down with a #20 Z-plex for $369. I have bought several demo scopes from this company over the last few years and have had no problems with any scopes and very quick delivery.
http://cameralandny1.reachlocal.net/opt ... age=521460

You are correct about the Meopta scopes being a bit heavy, i was able to mount mine that is a 30mm tube with 50mm obj using talley med rings, and the cheek weld is nice, but you are right in saying that a 3-9x40 zeiss would work for me, i am leaning that way, i have looked through one of the vortex viper pst scopes, and the glass on it was amazing, the new hs viper line is coming out this summer, and it is suppose to have the same glass if not a little bit better, and for the price i think that i am going to wait until i can take a look at one of those for $350.00.

A 40 to 44 mm objective is more than adequate for your rifle. The Leupold VX3 2-8 X 36 would fit quite nicely on the rifle.

dezmick":3po8hy8e said:
i already own a Meopta Meostar 3-10x50 that is now sitting on my Bworning X-bolt 7mm WSM, it's a great scope, that i got for an even greater price, now i know that i will not be able to get something that good for my 7mm 08, but i was thinking of maybe getting the Leupold VX-R in 3-9x50, it is a bit more than i wanted to spend at $550.00, but i like it, any opinions on it, or maybe something like the new Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44, they both have 30mm tubes and great glass, and the Vortex is only $350.00.

Be aware that the VX-R is a 30mm tube with 1" internals, so it's a "paper tiger" of sorts. It also has VXII level glass.

I looked through one. It is not comparable to a VX-3 or a Zeiss Conquest in brightness or clarity. You might be able to light the reticle, but you won't be able to see the target as well as with the other two scopes.

I am also looking at new scopes these days, and being the owner of a Conquest and of an older Vari-X II, I can tell you that my short list includes the Conquest, the VX-3, and maybe the Meopta Meostars if I can ever find somewhere that carries them so I can look through one.

I'm, with the others, a 3x9-40mm tubed scope like the Zeiss or the 2.5x8 VX3 would be pretty nice on your rifle. I really don't like the 50mm obj's unless you can mount them low enough to really get down on the stock. I think the Minox's like 257 Ackley just got are pretty nice looking scopes also. All of those should fit in your budget and probably leave you enough money for mounts. Scotty

beretzs":7v53p1ja said:
I'm, with the others, a 3x9-40mm tubed scope like the Zeiss or the 2.5x8 VX3 would be pretty nice on your rifle. I really don't like the 50mm obj's unless you can mount them low enough to really get down on the stock. I think the Minox's like 257 Ackley just got are pretty nice looking scopes also. All of those should fit in your budget and probably leave you enough money for mounts. Scotty

The only reason I did not list the Minox as an alternative is that I have not had time to put it on a rifle and do a box test with it yet to see if it will function properly. The glass is just as clear as the Conquest (some have said it is the same manufacturer), but clarity will not work if the scope will not perform all functions necessary in the field. I am going to try and shoot it on something this weekend.

Jim stole my thunder. I might also suggest the 3.5-10x40 VXIII. Love the one I have, and I hunt eastern Oregon.

Cabelas is having a sale right now on the 3-9x40 Bushnell 4200 Elite for only $214 shipped. I don't think you will find a better deal anywhere for the price and high quality glass. I may order one for myself actually...

Just got 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest with some Talley low rings, should be a nice set up for my 7mm08, thanks for all the input. Mick

Good choice, they have very good glass.
I went in to our local Sportsman Warehouse and they let me take several rifle scopes outside to try them out in "real" light. I will tell you the Zeiss had the best glass by some measure... according to my eyes. CW

Yeah that is where i got it at, they let me do the same thing, and i came up with the same conclusion that you did, that is why i got the Zeiss 3-9x40, i felt that everything seemed brighter and also seemed to stand out more when looking through it then any of the Leupold's, Nikon's, or Bushnell's that i looked at except the Bushnell 6500, but then again that was twice the price as what i got, so i think in the end i made the right choice now i just got to get the Talley rings from Midway so i can get it mounted.

Back