Nosler Bullet Wish List

Jason Miller, welcome aboard buddy. Great post and I'm agreeing and 2nd'ing just about all you stated there. Great insight.

Fotis, a 210-220 AB would give the big 338's something to think about.

I would like to see,

.257 - 125gr NAB or BT
.277 - 165gr NAB or BT
.284 - 180gr NAB or BT
.308 - 220gr NAB or BT

Berger needs some competition from serious hunting bullets!

284 - Looking for tough, fast bullets that can compete with the 120 gr TTSX. This is wicked good bullet for the 7-08, 284, 280, and 7mm mag types for everything from antelope to elk. A higher BC say a 120 gr E-Tip or 120 gr AccuBond would be a great alternative and would get my business.

Welcome aboard, Jason; it's always a treat to see another gun crank posting. Thanks for your insight.

Thanks guys. I was actually just thinking about this subject the other day, and seeing this thread inspired me to join and post.

7mm 180 AB? Think I would get a 7mm of some sort if that happens! Still looking for the return of the 45-70 300gr PT.

jason miller":67y1w5dw said:
Thanks guys. I was actually just thinking about this subject the other day, and seeing this thread inspired me to join and post.

Welcome Jason! Glad to have you aboard!

BobT":d7o02ey6 said:
I would like to see,

.257 - 125gr NAB or BT
.277 - 165gr NAB or BT
.284 - 180gr NAB or BT
.308 - 220gr NAB or BT

NICE choices

The 180g 7mm BT or AB could really be an interesting idea...

I wonder what the velocity could look like with various 7mm chamberings?

So, Remingtonman and myself were having a debate about a bigger 7mm AB the other day. Between the two of us we have a pretty impressive collection of high bc 7mm bullets. From 160 up to 180 gr. VLDs, Amax, Matix, AB, and some wildcats. Funny thing is the 160 AB is about as long at the rest of the high BC bullets. I think that a higher BC "hunting" bullet would require a bit more engineering than just making the shank longer. But, I'm not a ballistic engineer.

I'll attach a pic of a 160 AB next to a 175 Matrix hunting VLD.

View attachment 2012-07-11_21-01-55_287.jpg

I do REALLY like the idea of a high BC 7mm AB (.6 or better), but it needs to stablize in a 9 twist, and not take up a bunch more powder space.

Cool pictures Jake.. I am with you. I do like the 160 AB though. Might not be tops, but it is pretty good out to 600..

SJB358":38r3yaqk said:
Cool pictures Jake.. I am with you. I do like the 160 AB though. Might not be tops, but it is pretty good out to 600..

It's pretty good for a lot farther than that! I have some recovered bullets at 800 yards and 1000 yards, all looked great. Do we really need a higher BC hunting 7mm, no. But this is a wish list, not a need list. It seems like we are always looking for something better. It's that damn RADD sickness I tell you! Wish or need, if Nosler ever does come out with a High BC LR hunting line, I bet they sell the crap out of them!

jmad_81":3dnja8ny said:
Wish or need, if Nosler ever does come out with a High BC LR hunting line, I bet they sell the crap out of them!

I would buy them, for sure..

BobT":4z1339az said:
I would like to see,

.257 - 125gr NAB or BT
.277 - 165gr NAB or BT
.284 - 180gr NAB or BT
.308 - 220gr NAB or BT

I would ad a 105 6mm, a heavy .375 like Fotis mentioned, and a 300-350gr .416. Oh wait I mentioned some of these previously. The standard nose profile and boat tail needs to go away for the heavies though. Make them true long range bullets. Use the tapered jackets of the AB but don't bond them like a BT so they open at lower impact velocities.

Now get to work Nosler! We need bullets :mrgreen: :lol:

The 7mm 160 gr AB is pretty good in the BC area is tough to beat for on game performance.

JD338

This post kind of makes me think about ballistic coefficient in a different way, more from an historical perspective. Actually if you have sufficient long enough perspective and historical viewpoint on this topic, you realize that: there are a great number of bullets on the market right now, particularly the premium market, which offer a wide spectrum of high ballistic coefficient bullets which incorporate many different ogive curve designs and tangential radii shapes.

I certainly remember the 1950's and on through the 1970's where Nosler and a few other custom bullet makers were the only high Ballistic coefficient show in this country. Most of the high volume ammunition and factory bullets were certainly not designed for western, open country hunting tactics. It has really improved in bullet selection since the 1980's. We are very fortunate to have the selection and market sensitivity which we ge form manufacturer's like Nosler at a fair price for performance, including excellent bullet expansion characteristics.

I would love to get

.224 cal. 65,68, or 70gr BT that will work reliably in an AR.

.257cal 125 or 130gr Custom Comp BTHP

Back