Old Hunt Photos

There are some decent places to draw here but the odds for non-residents aren't great. The place I'll put in this year is 30% chance of drawing for a resident and under 10% for a non-resident. If you want to put in here I can help you out but if you put in you still have to buy a license. You can buy a general tag and still hunt even if you don't draw though.

Thanks. This year though, I think I'm staying in Washington, except for a fly fishing trip to Alaska.

Poor Washington State, we have allowed the tree huggers and wigged out Liberal bureaucrats to run our huntiing rights, even deer, into the ground both for time available within season and breadth of deer hunting opportunities which are available for the average hunt within this state.

We have chipped away at the herds and given away our rights to native people while reducing our season lengths to just over a week for most general licenses. Politicians and biologists have no appreciation of realization that a general season of a week per year does not begin to address the need of dedicated hunters to even get out a appreciate their sport long enough in season, to even make it worth doing for many people who are busy or have physical limitations and need little a little cushion of time to acclimate and enjoy their season, even if they don't kill a deer. What would golfer's say if the state only allowed them a week to golf each year and took control of courses away from the individual.

What we are left with is a pitiful vestige of our former adequate long seasons and reasonable bag limits. part of this is mismanagement of the herd which diminishes hunting opportunities and part is intent to satisfy outspoken tree hugger and anti-hunting interests at the expense of law abiding and dedicated hunters who pay all of the bills. These anti's have no interest or vesting in the funds collected by excise taxes from shooters and hunters, yet we allow them to control our sport. The next question is why? They do not pay for our sport and do not in most cases, even understand the sport well enough to have a valid opinion?

Charlie,

A very thought provoking summation of the conditions that many western hunters face.
Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

David, those are some great photographs that you have posted :wink:. Brings back lots of memories for me now I wish I could find my old photos.

Blessings,
Dan

Charlie's statement is the absolute truth. Not only will the Wolf will be the demise of years of game management down the drain, but those funds will one day dry up and go away due to the lack of interest to hunt big game simply because of the lack of game that wont be here in the numbers that we once had, unless something changes real soon.

A financial mistake that will hurt our economies from the top down, plain and simple.

longrangehunter":u8ydwk2s said:
Charlie's statement is the absolute truth. Not only will the Wolf will be the demise of years of game management down the drain, but those funds will one day dry up and go away due to the lack of interest to hunt big game simply because of the lack of game that wont be here in the numbers that we once had, unless something changes real soon.

A financial mistake that will hurt our economies from the top down, plain and simple.
...and that is the exact plan of those who lobbied to reintroduce the wolf. Rather than outlaw hunting it was a lot easier to have wolves return and remove the game. No game, no hunting, end of story.

If you think that they care(d) one iota about the economy or the people they hurt you're very mistaken. :roll:

That is what anti's are: anti-human. There has to be an interesting case study there as to why people who live in cities become so pro wild that the become anti-human at the same. This a little pedantic for this site, but I wonder sometimes and all the shrinks are anti's!

Not quite the same as some of the others this was my first goat taken September 20 1997 with a 308 Norma Mag and a 200 gr Speer G.S. bullet at around 250 yards.

September 2000 goat same load.

My buddies big grizzly and the same location a month later in the second picture it was a night neither of us will forget. He used a 220 gr Partition in his 300 Win Mag and I used my 35 Whelen with 225 gr Partitions. He hit him twice and I gave him the final shot to make sure he didn't get up :)

My one and only Stone sheep shot in 2003 with my 35 Whelen and a 225 gr Ballistic Tip.

Delightful pictures, Gerry, and undoubtedly great memories of awesome hunts.

Great pictures Gerry! Your list of cartridges used could have taken place 50+ years ago or better! Bullets too..

Very neat.

Great photographs Gerry! You should take the time some afternoon and write up the grizzly bear story, goat story, sheep story in the hunting stories section that Guy suggested. I'd love to hear them as I'm sure others would too!

Sounds like a good idea David, that is something we should all do with some of our memorable hunts in particular.

Gerry, I gotta hand it to Ya for picking up the 35 Whelen to go Sheep hunting! Awesome Trophies you've taken, the Stone Sheep is a coveted trophy and well as the Goats you've taken... must be nice living in B.C. with all that quality Big Game to hunt around there.

Gerry, the two other guys with you, are they brothers?

longrangehunter":wo354731 said:
Gerry, I gotta hand it to Ya for picking up the 35 Whelen to go Sheep hunting! Awesome Trophies you've taken, the Stone Sheep is a coveted trophy and well as the Goats you've taken... must be nice living in B.C. with all that quality Big Game to hunt around there.

Gerry, the two other guys with you, are they brothers?

Thanks, I also carried a 260 Rem, 264 Win Mag, 30-06, 300 WSM and 308 Norma Mag over the years for sheep, it came together for me when I carried the Whelen. That was the first sheep we took out of our little group, we could have had 3 that trip but the boys missed some long shots the final night.

The guy in the back is my best friend who was also my best man 4 years ago, he took his first sheep 2 years later in the same area probably about 5 km from where I got mine I was glad to have been there. He is a sheep hunting nut and has taken a total of 4 nice rams over the years. He is the same guy with the grizzly, he loves hunting them a lot too and has taken at least 4 I can think of plus been there when a bunch of other guys have taken theirs.

The other fellow is a friend of ours who doesn't hunt quite as much but has taken some very nice goats, black bears, a great grizzly and a very beautiful sheep. The sheep was taken in the same area as the others just a different part of the mountain.

Yes we have been blessed to hunt here and hope to do a bunch more in the years to come.

gerry those are some great photographs :wink:! I have a question what does goat & sheep taste like. I know they are quite the trophy but I have never really heard how they do on the table?

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1718d1nx said:
gerry those are some great photographs :wink:! I have a question what does goat & sheep taste like. I know they are quite the trophy but I have never really heard how they do on the table?

Blessings,
Dan
Dan I love wild game and would eat exclusively but the wife would not agree! :roll: :cry: I have not eaten as much goat as Gerry by any means but I have had a couple to chew on, and I mean chew. I never have had game as tough as mountain goat. My buddies billy was tough! I also just did not care for the flavor much. The only way it really tasted good to me was in a slow cooker with spices galore for about 6-8 hours on low. Man it was great.

Had steaks and a roast of another friends bighorn ram. It was really really good. Has a different flavor and I felt it almost had a slight sweet taste to it. Really enjoyed it!

Great picture Gerry and beautiful animals as well. Plus, all were taken with classic cartridges. I really like the stone sheep.

Dan, sheep and goat taste great. Sheep can be chewy but most often not, great flavor too. Goat is usually tough but I have never tasted a bad one, when the rut is in full swing they can be really bad but if taken before Nov 15 or so the flavor is great. It can actually have a sweet taste to it. What we do with goats is put roasts in the slow cooker, grind up the rest into ground meat and make sausage. Goats can have a bad reputation for eating but doing it the way we have has been excellent, I should also mention that a yearling goat is usually tender but there isn't much meat on them at that age though.

Gerry, really great photos and story. You know you are blessed to live in an area where you can hunt animals that some of us only dream about. I've wanted to hunt sheep all my life but never had the funds. It's a long way from these southern swamps to sheep country.
I once could climb those high peaks, now I can only look at photo's like yours and enjoy your success'es. Keep em coming.

Back