Old Hunt Photos

Found a few more old pics:

My best huntin' Dawg: Terrific Squirrel dog, loyal retriever (as long as you didn't mind him "tenderizing it first" :lol: ). Tough as nails, badgers, coons, coyotes, he wasn't scared of any of them and he never left my side.

Grandpas fox- taken on a drive of a slough with the old model 12. (early 80's)

A couple of his "snows" that he collected over the years. He was rather infamous for his "telephone pole taxidermy". The geese rated display on the other side of the shed. :)@1978

Grandpa didn't have many chances to hunt deer. There weren't many around back then. I believe the doe was taken "west river" with a borrowed rifle. @1979. That's a model 99 in 308.

Sorry havin' technical difficulties with my photos today. (side ways)

Great pics Troy You can see in that dog's eyes he was friendly and loyal, sometimes I wonder why they love us so much........

I love this thread! Here a few of my older pics.

Packing out my first 6 point bull with my Dad and brother. 2004 on the Manti unit Utah.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423449734.870534.jpg

Another of my first and only whitetail. I snuck up on him in the thick timber of northern Idaho. Shot him at 12 yards with my 7mm mag and 150 gr. PT handload. Nov. 1998?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423449944.653713.jpg

Here is a pic of my second elk, a spike. My Dad cow called it right passed me at 20 yards on the Manti unit in Utah. 1994 if not mistaken.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423450232.642226.jpg

New Mexico bull elk 1999. Approx. 400 yards with my 7mm Rem mag and 150 gr. NPT handloads.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423450913.682659.jpg

Here is my first antelope. 1996 in Utah.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423450896.919796.jpg

I will try to find some more.

Here is a bull I shot in Idaho in 1997.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423452805.658161.jpg

A nice young mule deer of the wasatch range in Utah with my .54 Hawken and a barnes sabot. Shot was 105 yards.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423452832.316317.jpg

Hope you dont mind a share a few more. This has reminded me of some really fun hunts!

Cow elk in 1996. 8 yard shot. Manti Utah

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423457785.004646.jpg

Two point mule deer 1990. 20 yard shot. Fish lake Utah.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423458050.961588.jpg

Spike bull shot with kit assembled Hawken. 460 gr. buffalo bullet. 80 yard shot. 1990 on the wasatch utah.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423458079.100522.jpg

Put em up. I just don't till have many pictures which is regrettable. I always like to see elk pictures.

These are not old but both are pics of elk! These are my two best bulls. The muddy bull was in '07 and the close up bull was in 2010.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423519934.299085.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423519954.696808.jpg

Nice pics fellas :) ..I have lots, but are all put away in the loft of my garage, I well have to dig them out, here's a few for now,Lou

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]I've been looking for this photo since the thread started and I finally found it. My Granddad, on the left, is 97 now living in a nursing home in Montana. I don't know when the photo was taken and he can't tell me because he's more or less blind now. He was pretty much the person who got me into reloading and hunting.

The second photo is the last deer he was able to shoot at the age of 90. He was no longer able to drive, due to eyesight not lack of trying, and shooting was almost impossible without the right lighting conditions. We struggled for days trying to get any deer to cooperate and he was ready to throw in the towel, but a stubborn Grandson prevailed. He had one of the biggest whitetail bucks I've seen in Montana at 40 yards but he couldn't even see him.

Since the old man had a handicap sticker he could hunt out of a vehicle. I tried putting him in the drivers seat of my truck (right handed shooter) and doing a small deer drive for him. Finally I put him in the back seat behind the drivers side and tried something weird. I drove straight at a group of mule deer does standing in the middle of the field. My plan was to angle away about 70-80 yards away, put the truck in neutral and let it coast to a stop. I'd hoped the deer in the open field would have been visible enough for him to see one to shoot. Somebody tipped them off to my plans because they didn't cooperate either.

I was driving out along the edge of the field to head back to his place. The wooded bottom was between us and the Missouri River. I saw a small buck feeding about 40 yards into the woods so I stopped the truck and shut the engine off. A thin strip of clouds sort of blocked the setting sun. I was telling Grandpa where the buck was at the same time the sun dipped below the clouds. For those who have never experienced a sunset in plains type country it's hard to describe, but it almost seems to get brighter for a few minutes. That's when the sun lit this little buck like a spotlight was on him. I was in mid sentence when an old Siamese Mauser in 8x50 Rimmed type 45 went off and dropped the buck where he stood.

I yelled "Jesus Christ, you dropped him". Grandpa was also pretty hard of hearing and his reply was "did I get him?" Needless to say it was a pretty cool experience. Other than watching my daughters get excited about their hunts, Grandpa's last deer will be tough to beat. He tried for the next couple of years to hunt with us but his eyesight had finally diminished to the point where he couldn't do it anymore. We did have him shooting for the last time at the age of 94, the fall before I had to put him in the home. And in my safe sits that old Siamese Mauser....who knows, it may hunt again someday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 193
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 193
Neat story, Lefty. We all grow old and the abilities we once had diminish. Great that you were able to be with your grandpa on his last deer.

Nice old hunt story, Lefty. I hunted deer with my dad but he died when I was 45 and he was 66. I am 71 now and still have those memories.
Charlie

Back