Old Hunt Photos

Here are some old ones. The mulie buck in the Polaroid photo I shot in 1989, the first year I moved to Idaho, near Grand Jean with my muzzleloader. I shot him and he laid down with his head up. I walked up to him from below him and he jumped up and about ran me over. I put a second shot in him from the hip at about 5 feet. He scored 177 and some change and was a huge deer. The turkey in the picture with it was shot in Oklahoma. The other mulie buck was shot in 2003 in unit 39. The moose was shot in '93 in unit 76 in Idaho.

Attachments

• oldmoose.jpg
    oldmoose.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 251
  • oldmoose2.jpg
    oldmoose2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 251
  • oldmuzzleloadermulie.jpg
    oldmuzzleloadermulie.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 251
  • oldmuliebuck.jpg
    oldmuliebuck.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 251
Here are some more.

Attachments

• oldspikeelk.jpg
    oldspikeelk.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 250
  • oldantelope.jpg
    oldantelope.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 250
  • oldwarthog.jpg
    oldwarthog.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 250
Excellent memories. That is a great mulie in the first picture. You've done well in your hunts. Yeah, packing out moose can be a challenge at times, and we all appreciate whatever help we can get.

Great pictures, super Idaho mule deer!

Guy, my Jimmy had a saddle tank also, 39.0 gallons total. I replaced that Jimmy with an S-10 POS that I would break the chamber plate on each time that I took it elk hunting in southern Utah (Escalante Mountains). I have a Ford Explorer (1999) (switchable hubs, 4.1 OHC, V6) now which has never failed me.

Sure love all the old photo's. I found a couple older ones but I'll have to make it down to my mother's to see if I can snag a few more. Lot's of old memories. Thanks guys for starting this post!

1965 Columbus Montana. I caught that larger of the two fish myself! I was five years old. Hard to tell in the picture but that actually is a little trout my dad caught!

12 years old. Catfish from the Missouri River north east of Roy Montana

If I remember right we had catfish, bass, trout and maybe a couple more.

My step-mother's brother and me with our elk from the Bitterroot Valley.

Excellent, David. Man, I hardly have any pictures of my fishing exploits while living in Kansas and Texas. I'm going to have to do some digging to see if I can scan a few (after I find them). :oops:

My 1985 CJ7 up out of First Creek near Superior Montana. Yes it was cold. Pretty crude camp I know. I spent four days up there hunting.

Buck I took on this trip after I moved camp lower down into Eddy Creek. 30-06 of course shooting 165 gr. Partitions. Rifle was a Remington 700 ADL. Wish I never sold it.

Black bear from the same area a year or two later. 30-06 Ruger #1B shooting 165 gr. Partitions. I need to write the story of this one up one of these days.

First elk out of the Bitterroot Valley. 30-06 again!

Had to include this one. My father did some work for a game-farm for a couple weeks one year. He threw on his hunting jacket and grabbed his rifle and headed out into the pen. This calf came up and took a bite out of the barrel!!

Wife's first deer. 25-06 & 120 gr. Partition. Yes it was very cold! 1991 I believe.

About 1982: 3 pt. whitetail with my Model 28 357 mag.

Coming home from Roy with quite a load!

My buddy and I got two bulls together over near Phillipsburg. What a day. I need to write up this story also. It was pretty cool.

Friend drew a Rock Creek ram tag. Believe it was about 1986-1988. 40 1/2" on the long side. Pretty sheep! Rifle was a Ruger 1B 6mm Remington using 100 gr. Partitions I loaded for him. One shot!

My buddies step-father and I with two bucks over near Phillipsburg. My buck was aged at 10 1/2 years plus!! The biologist could not give an exact age as he was off his age chart!

DrMike":2jpb0iyu said:
Excellent, David. Man, I hardly have any pictures of my fishing exploits while living in Kansas and Texas. I'm going to have to do some digging to see if I can scan a few (after I find them). :oops:
I can look at these pictures and have folks tell the stories behind them for HOURS! Way too neat.

Great pictures David, you have a lot more than I ended up with. We all have the memories though!

I have a bigger mulie that I shot in the '93 I'll take a picture of it when I'm over at my parents. The horns are over there. It's 33" wide and only had 2 front teeth left. He had a huge roman nose that was white and had scars all over. I really wish I would of kept the cape but it just about killed me to pack him out as it was. It was about 5 miles through rock slides and straight up and down country. I shot it opening day, October 5th, and it had the biggest neck and body of any mule deer I've ever seen. I have a buck knife with a 3 3/4" blade that barely touched the meat on his back when I was boning him out because he had so much fat. Literally his neck curved down into his head. It was probably 2-3" bigger than his head. He had hind quarters as big as a spike bull elk. I shot him in his bed at about 125yds. I also have another buck that scored 184" but he is skinny horned and I almost didn't shoot him. I watched him for 2 hours chasing does before I shot him. He has super long tines that are almost perfectly symmetrical.

DrMike":dsjgjgny said:
Excellent memories. That is a great mulie in the first picture. You've done well in your hunts. Yeah, packing out moose can be a challenge at times, and we all appreciate whatever help we can get.

The funny thing is I almost didn't shoot that deer. I waited and pondered it for a long time because his horns look super wide with how they come flat out of his head but his ears tell a different story. That is why I didn't shoot him until last light. It was shoot or leave him be and I shot. He is only 26 1/2" outside but he looks much bigger. The deer in the Polaroid picture is about 29" main frame with a 1 1/2" cheater point out one side. He is super heavy too.

Hah! 26.5" wide is my WIDEST mule deer! I've got two in the 26" size range, and consider myself lucky to have taken them. Funny. :mrgreen:

Also shot a tall Wyoming 4x4 a few years ago that's only 18" wide. Tall, skinny rack. Was still a fun hunt and good meat!

Guy

These are fantastic! Wonderful, lots of memories , lots of hunting and fishing, stories go with these. Congratulations all :grin: :grin: :grin:

Guy Miner":35c3lk5y said:
Hah! 26.5" wide is my WIDEST mule deer! I've got two in the 26" size range, and consider myself lucky to have taken them. Funny. :mrgreen:

Also shot a tall Wyoming 4x4 a few years ago that's only 18" wide. Tall, skinny rack. Was still a fun hunt and good meat!

Guy

Guy,

I trophy hunt mule deer. I haven't shot a deer for me since the one I shot in 2003 because I'm super picky. I passed a 26" buck 2 years ago because he just wasn't big enough for me. I watched him feed for almost an hour and tried to take a picture through my scope. Last season I passed another buck about that size that I jumped at 50yds, actually there were two bucks and the bigger one never stopped to look back. The smaller one ran through the trees about another 50-60yds and stopped to look back (of course I wasn't going to shoot the smaller one). I've burned my tag to give meat to someone at the end of the season but I don't really eat deer meat unless it's jerky. I've been rather successful killing elk over the years, knock on wood. For me elk puts meat on the table and deer horns are to look at :mrgreen: .

It's just sad to see the conditions of the deer herds here compared to the early 90's. I use to see a 30" buck almost every year, most of the time I wouldn't get a shot at it, but now I haven't seen a 30" buck in probably 7-8 years and the season was closed when I saw it. The winter of 93-94 killed probably 70-80% of the deer and since fish and game has offered doe tags like it was the old deer herd. I really doubt that the deer herd in most of SW Idaho is 20% of what it was in '93. In some places probably closer to 10%. This year I'm putting in for SE Idaho to try and kill a big one. A friend of a friend killed a buck over there that scored 196 last year and another good friend of mine has seen 3 bucks in the 28-32" range there over the last several years. Idaho still has some good hunting but most of it now is a drawing and the odds get worse every year because the people know the general tags suck in SW Idaho anymore.

I actually understand all that, IdahoCTD. This year I had my Wyoming mule deer tag, and filled it with an interesting looking buck. Very happy about that. Then came home and had a coveted November mule deer tag here in Washington. I'd put in for that tag, for nine years....

Hunted hard. Saw a LOT of bucks.

Didn't shoot one.

That was weird for me. I never even brought the rifle to my shoulder, just kept checking out the bucks with my binos. In retrospect, I probably should have taken a lesser buck, with my .30-30 or my handgun, just for fun and meat, but I'd gone into the hunt saying that I wouldn't shoot less than a 28" 4x4, and I never saw one that big. So I ate that tag I guess. Did have a great hunt though.

And I already had deer & antelope meat in the freezer, so I guess that is good enough. Don't know how hard I'll be able to hunt in another 10 years if I get that tag again, be almost 70 then... We will see!

Regards, Guy

Back