Old Hunt Photos

It's too bad I didn't write the dates on the back of these early photos, but I remember where they where and with whom took the photo.

Attachments

• Milford MI Buck late 1980's.jpg
    Milford MI Buck late 1980's.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 221
  • Black Bear Lodge QB, Canada .jpg
    Black Bear Lodge QB, Canada .jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 221
  • Wild Hill Russian Boar.jpg
    Wild Hill Russian Boar.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 221
  • Biggest Bow & Arrow Whitetail Deer.jpg
    Biggest Bow & Arrow Whitetail Deer.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 221
This was the beginning of my illustrious career to sniping long range... the Winchester M70 in 264 WM with the 120 BT. That was the only bullet I used for long range hunting at the time. The shot was 485 yards. The scope had what was called a Leupold Dot, what I like about it was that it drew your eye to the center Dot which allowed for pin point accuracy, but you still were left with holding over for those long distance shots.

The pronghorn came off the Davis Ranch AKA The CS Cattle Ranch in Cimmrron, MN. My brother and I hunted there for a few years beginning in 2000. Later the following year he took a B&C Buck that I think scored 83 pts.?

Attachments

• Davis Ranch, New Mexico Prohghorn 2000.jpg
    Davis Ranch, New Mexico Prohghorn 2000.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 221
Elkman":1951gk3l said:
There use to be some phenomenal hunting near Grandjean. It's too bad they let the wolves go within a few miles of there. I've seen 200+ elk a day in rifle and muzzleloader season probably 40-50 times up there over the years. That all ended about 8-10 years ago.
Nathan
I started hunting the S. Fork clear to Stanley in 87, did well, pretty much every year. I killed 3 over near and behind the subdivision on the S side of the river, two with a rifle and one with a MZ. 5 more on the right side of the highway up Canyon Creek above the overlook. I will post a couple of those pictures, tomorrow night. We have taken 4 off of the north side of the road going into Bruce Meadows. I killed my last elk, in that area, in 07. My partner came up for a week, a few days later and we hunted for 6 long days, and never saw one elk.

I hunted around Clarkia for a few years after that and did good, then quite Idaho, and focused on Oregon and Wyoming.

I started hunting up there in '82 when I was 12. I've killed most of my elk between the Sourdough and Canyon Cr. I've killed probably 15+ elk in there but haven't hunted in there since they went to a drawing for muzzleloader. My dad drew and I went with him a few years back and there was still a few elk in there but no where near what there use to be.

I did a little looking . all I've found is a doe , and a grey fox . both pics from 1977 , I was 15 . the red & black woolrich clothes for hunting ,silk quilted insulated underwear , naugahyde leather hat .

green & black woolrich jacket for trapping

That's good stuff Jim! I probably wasn't alive when those pics were taken in 77 but not too much has changed.

These are great. Enjoying the snaps, Jim and Kevin. Excellent photos and commentary.

I love these , that antelope is a dandy as is the buck. Nathan that looks like a really great bear! Do you still have all of that hair? I could use a bunch.

I'll not tire of looking at old hunting pictures as they give me a lot to shoot for not having grown up in a hunting family.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

That's not me Bill. I'm basically hairless on top. I'll try to scan and post some old hunting photo's. I found some from the late 80's to the late 90's.

Here is my 2002 CO bull, a 5 pt I shot at 350 yds with my 338 RUM and a 210 gr PT.
JD5PtElk2002.jpg

JD338

Very nice pictures folks!

JD you are certainly getting your money's worth out of that 338!

Those are great photographs keep them coming. I look at them and remember back and almost feel young again.
Thanks for starting this thread it is great.

Blessings,
Dan

Posted these before but I cant find the post back so here they are:
Dad and I at "The pits" some where along the Missouri river in SD the event was my 16th B-day I think. Should make it about 1978 or 9:

The next year- I think

Dads Lyman Co Mullie. Should have been about 1980

Biggest east River White tail about 1985

A good day pheasant hunting Dad and my uncle @ 1987

Wish I would have written dates on these :cry:

I had a few expeditions, thanks to Dad and my family and friends CL

Wonderful memories, without a doubt. I take it your family did some waterfowl hunting?

No one in my close knit group has ever killed a 300 class bull (yet). But we have taken some nice ones over the years. Here are a few!!!
This was my dad's first in 59, he was never much of an elk hunter until this day. We were on a Sunday drive, near Oakridge Oregon. The rifle was in the front seat a Rem 740 Woodsmaster, cal 30:06, and the loaded clip was in the back seat. As we rounded a curve on a clear cut, dad noticed this nice Roosevelt Bull standing at the edge of the timber. The bull was broadside I am guessing at 200 yards, probably more. Even at that distance he looked awesome. Dad managed to keep his composure and get a couple of rounds, into the bulls near shoulder which seemingly had little or no effect on the bull as he moseyed back into the timber. Dad took off behind him, several more shots, miles and several hours later he returned to the car. He had caught up and finished him off.
old hunting photos 3 004.JPG
Somewhere near the end of the 90's Oregon altered their management plan in NE Oregon, to increase the population of "mature" bulls in several units. The quality of the bull's there now is magnificent compared to the 60's. I drew one of those tags early after the change over. My 300 WM, broad side 300 yards, off of the east side of Shmmyhorn Ridge. The bulls had not reached the potential that they are now but this is a really nice bull anyway!!!
old hunting photos 3 005.JPG
This bull is the largest bull I have killed, it in 1999 above Grandjean Idaho. A difficult shot on a very steep hillside, with me shooting down hill. I had to put the cross hairs, into the grass below his back, because of the steep incline. One shot with the 300 and he was down. As I was walking up to him I noticed that he was laying down, not upside down. I turned the scope down low, made sure that a shell was in the chamber and walked up to him. Inside of 10 yards he got up and started down the hill, quartering away, with both eyes open, I essentially pointed back about 6 ribs and pulled the trigger. He did not get up again!
old hunting photos 3 008.JPG
This bull on the same hillside as the previous just a 1/2 mile up the canyon, is the one my wife helped me pack out. There were two bulls sparing that morning, and when one laid down I shot the one standing next to it at about 400 yards, with the WM
old hunting photos 3 007.JPG

I may have a few more.

Here are a couple more, this one is from the early 80's in Summerville, Oregon in front of my dad's shop. These bulls came from the hill side north of Summerville.
old hunting photos 031.JPG
This one is from the mid 70's this bull was killed just south of Asotin Wa, in Oregon.
old hunting photos 029.JPG
A pretty boy, one of mine!! Taken in NE, Oregon, This was another 300 yard shot with the WM
old hunting photos 082.JPG
Another pretty boy, in 2000 in Wyoming. This bull was at the tail end of a large group of cows and calfs, crossing a old snow slide area. He was at 460 on the initial shot, and moved away from there for the last shot. The shot was from the ridge behind me in the photo from the opening at about 9 clock.
025.JPG

I have many more but this is enough !! Take care all!!!!

Back