Old Hunt Photos

I love the old photo's. It would be neat if we somehow could do a book with old photo's and short descriptions of them with all the Nosler Forum members. I think that would be pretty cool.

I have some others from way back you might enjoy.
I shot this little bull, in 68 after dad got his big buck. I was on leave from the service, hunting West of Black Mountain with my brother in law. I had just started over the lip of the ridge in the deep dark "brushy" timber when this bull jumped up from my right running to the left inside of 30 yards. I could only see him when he jumped, I missed him the first shot and had him timed on the second shot, and accidently broke his neck with the 06.
old hunting photos 024.JPG
Meachum Creek Canyon, 1968
old hunting photos 001.JPG
This nice bull was killed by my dad shooting his 300 WB, across Hell Hole creek, in Oregon, in 77 I believe. It was at least 500 yards. No range finder, no turret, lots of guess and by golly. The bull was walking across and opening which gave him several opportunities.
old hunting photos 002.JPG
This bull came out of the area near Billy Meadows Ranger Station in 74, killed by a great friend with a 7 mm RM. The specific details elude me.!
old hunting photos 029.JPG
Camp on Old Cold Springs Oregon, 74. We camped here several times and took several elk over the years.
old hunting photos 027.JPG
That's enough history for this night. I will have a few more to share tomorrow, a couple of classic's.

Good stuff, Bill. Fascinating, to be sure. Sadly, I have very few photos from before about the 90s.

Same here. My Mother had a couple of old cigar boxes with family photos that went way back. And due to the country upbringing of both sides of my family many of these were based around hunting and fishing. Sadly all are gone. My Mother chose to leave the responsibilities of keeping a home and move into a retirement home with her own apartment. They got a couple of kids to help move and someone threw all those old photos away.
Those pictures meant a lot to me and to say I was livid would be an understatement. Still am.
The problem I'm having right now is finding what I do have. My wife has literally thousands of photos from her service organization events and some of mine are mixed in. I've been going through some tonight and it is a daunting task. I was hoping to tell the story with several photo's to sort of illustrate the story but I may end up doing like Elkman and tell the story from a single picture.

Got a few pack stories for this evening. In the early 80's we had some late season cow tags old hunting photos in eastern Oregon. We had four tags filled them all, in 3 days. The first elk came while we were driving back to Summerville, Oregon, after a long day of plowing through hip deep snow. She crossed the road way out near the end of Bobsled Ridge, she stopped to look back and took a 180 gr. Partition, through both front shoulders from a guy in the front truck. We loaded her whole in the back of the pickup. The next day because of the snow, we went lower and started up the mountain, along the North Fork of the Umatilla River. Three of us were on the hill that day and all three ended up with elk. One 06, a 300 B, and my .338/06. We gathered up some friends and headed up the hill. Before we broke out of the timber into the wind and had lunch.
old hunting photos 001.JPG
A picture of my dad with two front shoulders on his pack, he was in his mid 60's.
old hunting photos 030.JPG
Here he is in the mid 90's delivering another load to the truck, on Shimmyhorn Ridge.
old hunting photos 3 002.JPG
Here is my wife helping me pack out a nice bull, 1800 feet straight up, from the Payette river, near Grandjean, Idaho. After that pack out she said that was one of the hardest days of her life, and would not care to do it again.
Apparently taking pictures of people packing elk is not very exciting as that is pretty much all I have for tonight.

Attachments

• old hunting photos 3 001.JPG
    old hunting photos 3 001.JPG
    807.3 KB · Views: 261
There use to be some phenomenal hunting near Grandjean. It's too bad they let the wolves go within a few miles of there. I've seen 200+ elk a day in rifle and muzzleloader season probably 40-50 times up there over the years. That all ended about 8-10 years ago.

There use to be some phenomenal hunting near Grandjean. It's too bad they let the wolves go within a few miles of there. I've seen 200+ elk a day in rifle and muzzleloader season probably 40-50 times up there over the years. That all ended about 8-10 years ago.
Nathan
I started hunting the S. Fork clear to Stanley in 87, did well, pretty much every year. I killed 3 over near and behind the subdivision on the S side of the river, two with a rifle and one with a MZ. 5 more on the right side of the highway up Canyon Creek above the overlook. I will post a couple of those pictures, tomorrow night. We have taken 4 off of the north side of the road going into Bruce Meadows. I killed my last elk, in that area, in 07. My partner came up for a week, a few days later and we hunted for 6 long days, and never saw one elk.

I hunted around Clarkia for a few years after that and did good, then quite Idaho, and focused on Oregon and Wyoming.

Very cool pictures Bill. I really am enjoying this.

Man I can only hope I am in my 90's packing elk out. Heck I would even take the 60's.

I sure am envious of you guys having been brought up in a hunting family. I hope someday my girls are showing pictures of me/us running around the wilderness taking game.

Thank you all, I was hoping I was not wearing you out. Tomorrow will be the last I promise. I will do some pictures of pretty cows and bulls. Hope you enjoy.

Photos of past hunts certainly do not wear me out. I love seeing what others have been doing.

pre6422hornet":376mgf82 said:
SJB358":376mgf82 said:
Nope, can't see enough of them Bill. Great pictures buddy..

Spot on Scotty.

I couldn't agree more!
Keep em coming Bill. These are great.
Thank you for sharing with all of us.

JD338

Back