Old primers

bdbrown66

Handloader
May 16, 2016
I bought these way back in the early 90's IIRC, from the estate sale of an old guy who lived near my grandparents. Even then, they were obviously far from being new. I've used some of them over the years, but mostly just kept them as my backup stash. Currently, there are a little less than 600 left. Anyone care to venture a guess as to how old they are? I honestly don't know, but I would guess maybe early 60's; but that's just a guess.

IMG_20210309_143304.jpg

Cheers,
Brian

I started handloading in the 1970s and don't remember seeing that style of box.

Funny how some of these old primers will still work fine. I was given some CCI small pistol primers that I know had to be made in the late 60s to early 70s. They had been stored in a out building that you could sling a cat through some of the cracks in the boards for a good number of years. I decided to give them a try in some plinking ammo in 38 Special. Everyone that I tried fired like a new primer. I still have a box or two for my collection.

From what I found out when I did some research, these were made between 1946 and 1960. That's according to the labeling on the flats.

I have some of those I inherited from my Grandad. He passed in 1972, so before that. Wood trays. Still shoot fine.

Yes, that is why I asked I have some of them in the wooden trays and I thought they were the same as the OP has.

Back