One rifle one load

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Who subscribes to this theory?

I try to every chance I get....that is if the rifle lets me. I find it a good way of keeping things simple and keep component cost to a minimum.

Example:
7mm rum 160 ab for everything
300 rum 200 AB for everything
416 WBY--Have not found the perfect bullet for everything yet....

I'll buy that. I try to only have one load for every rifle. If I want to use something different I just use a different rifle. But I have been thinking about coming up with a 125 grain ballistic tip reduced load for my .300 WSM just for fire forming brass and plinking with. I don't plan on changing any scope settings, since I don't plan on hunting with the load. I will try and adjust the load to impact somewhat close to what I have and then use Kentucky windage to do the rest.

See, now all I need is a 325 gr 416 AB (decent BC) and that would take care of all my North American hunting. Then solids and or Partitions for Africa (If I ever go).

How about one rifle one load for deer and elk or is that asking too much of one load?

Corey

C.Smith":129oz5it said:
How about one rifle one load for deer and elk or is that asking too much of one load?

Corey

Not too much to ask for.

270--light--140 AB/150 PT
30-06 165 Pt 180 AB PT
7mm mag 150 PT 160 PT AB
300 win 165 PT 180 AB PT
etc etc many can do it.

Would the 150 AccuBond be up to this task, or the Partition, (7mm rem mag)? I know it should work alright on deer but I have never hunted elk and I am working on getting into it.

I'm loading 160 Partitions right now.

Corey

I ascribe to the one rifle - one load practice and to further simplify only having two BG rifles. A 30-06 and 300 WSM. Both shoot the same bullet, use the same powder and same primer. That's as "stupid simple" as I can make it.

The 300 WSM pushes the 180 NP at 2,960 over 64.0 gr's H4350.
The 30-06 pushes the 180 NP at 2,750 over 57.5 gr's H4350.

Both group the 180 Partition and 180 Hornady well under one inch and the 300 WSM has the added benefit of putting both the 180 Partition and 180 Hornady (for a cheap practice bullet) into the exact POI.

If they made a 150 AB I am sure it would be.
I have a sako 75 7mm RUM. I load 160 AB's at 3205 for everything. Worked everytime so far. If you have a 160 Partition load for your 7mm Rem Mag and it is doing abound 3000 fps consider yourself done and shoot everything. I did when I had a 7 mag and would again.

There is an old adage that says, "beware the man with only one rifle".

Dad has been shooting the same 7 rem Mag for 40 years+. Mauser action, from Herters, a K-4 weaver with a 2 min dot. and a 130 gr. speer at 2950 fps. He dont miss very easy and they always fall down. :) CL

I feel it's up to the rifle. I have loads developed for Mod 70 270 WSM. The bullets I have loads for are the 140 AB (all of my CA hunting is done with this load) and the 160PT which I use in Idaho if I'm not carrying my 338WM. Of course there are scope adjustments for each load, which is why I only use the 160PT for my ID hunts. Anyway just my opinion.

C.Smith":2fze4r51 said:
You don't think I would be better off with the AccuBond? How did the Partition do on deer? thanks for the help too.

Corey

Corey:

The Partition was the first "Premium" bullet and the standard by which all premiums are measured against. You really can not do better than that. With the AB you "might" get more accuracy and a higher bc--splitting hairs here. Either is awesome in my book.

Pop,

Thanks for the very helpful replies as are everyone elses. They helped me out a lot.

Corey

I don't subscribe to any restrictive saying like that. If you only have one rifle or one load then it will work of course.

I really like reduced loads for instance so that means at least two loads for some rifles.

I keep notes on first shot cold barrel impact and have data with me when appropiate.

Right now I have 16 big game rifles sighted in and loaded up. True some only have one load but give me more time. :wink:

Hi All,
Here is my opinion. I live in Oregon & hunt in Oregon, at the most, some day I may be able to afford a Caribou hunt in Canada or a Moose hunt. At any rate my choise is a 7mm rem. mag. w/ a 160gr. Partition. I worked long & hard to develope this load & it affords me the ability to know I am shooting accuratly w/ a load good for all Oregon has to offer. I believe that enough practice w/ 1 rifle is the key to becoming a really good shot in a field or hunting situation. I do not agree w/ every thing that Jack O' Conner had to say but I have looked at some of his traveling exibits that a .270 produced, need I say more?

By the way, I cant shoot Dads 7mm Mag. (too much thump) I'll keep shooting my 250 Savage and switch from BT's to partitions If the critters get real big. I wont go looking for Elk but if I can control the fever, deer and antelope are in the realm of ethical shooting out to 250. That will be my "big Gun" until somebody gets smart and chambers a 25wsm. CL

Jar head:

For a while it seemed that all my buddies and I were shooting 7mm Rem Mags. We all used the same bullets. 162 Hornadt Bt or 160 Partition. Most got by with H870 although mine liked 81 gr of H1000. We used them 160's on everything from mice to moose.

My one rifle/load for big game in Alberta is a Sako m75 SS 300WM shooting 180gr. Accubonds with RL22 with under 1/2" 5 shot groups @ 100 metres-dead on zero @ 300metres.

But one cant just have one rifle now can he... :grin: , so my other is a Tikka T3 LS 270WSM with 140gr. Accubonds using a compressed load of Retumbo giving my 1/2" 5 shot groups @ 100 metres.

I purchased a lightly used Sako m75 SS 243 in May for my varmint rifle for this winter for coyotes and wolves. I have Ballistic Silvertips in 55 & 95 grains and Hornady 65 grain moly Vmaxes . I have the Hodgdon's Varmint Experimental Pack of powders to try. I better start reloading soon :grin:

Back