Only one rifle

russ808

Handloader
Feb 2, 2008
If you had to choose one rifle caliber for hunting and only one rifle caliber what would it be?
My choice would be the 30-06. I know that there are a lot of different bullet choices. Brass can most likely be found every place. And I'll bet that if you go the any back woods 3rd, 4th, 5th, world nation you will find that cartridge. You may have never heard of the brand but it will probably
have a 30-06. My opinion only now, not fact.
Hows that for sturring the beehive!!! :twisted:

Well I will never get to hunt the big bears so I would say the 270WSM.If I included the bears 300WSM.

But then again I could be happy with a 25-06 or a............damn only one :?: :!: :?: :!: :shock:

I'm kinda real happy with my Ruger MKII .280rem. I do not see any moose hunts or big bear hunts in my future so it should do me fine. Of course my T/C Encore .308win will serve my needs quite well also.... :lol:

It would come down to my 30-06 or 7rem Mag. I can't bear the thought of separating them though.

That would be a sad day. The choice would have to be my 338 RUM. I could load it up or down to whatever power just like a 30-06. It'll take anything I'll hunt. The other option is the 30-378 Wby but in either case I won't be able to find ammo everywhere. Luckily, I can't afford to go everywhere to hunt anyway! :lol:
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

If I had to choose just one (impossible) it would be a 308 in a 700 LSS.. Accepted and shot everywhere..

But I have a safe that proves I just cant do it with one for the very same reason I got a couple dozen fishing poles........

Rod

kind of like playing golf with one club.......

I would go with the 338 RUM.

JD338

JD338
kind of like playing golf with one club.......
Hard I know, like only having to choose one finger for each hand. which one do you keep. Just thought I'd throw the subject out there. :twisted: Makes you think.
Almost impossible to make a decision on which one to keep. Hope we all never have to.

Unthinkable!!!

Even so, I would choose the 300WM. 30 cal. bullets are very common &
range from 110-250gr. of all constructions. I can load down to 308 level
or have a hot load with 200Part. or TSX up close for big stuff or work up a kick butt long range load with 180 Acc. Ammo is very common even in rural areas.

I can kill everything with it, the same could be said of the 300RUM & more, but the 300WM seems eaiser to load on the downside of the power range & is very common.

I'd probably shorten the barrel on my 7mm STW down to 26", and remount it with scope that had the widest variation possible, something like a 3.5 to 20.

russ808":38zps35p said:
If you had to choose one rifle caliber for hunting and only one rifle caliber what would it be?
My choice would be the 30-06. I know that there are a lot of different bullet choices. Brass can most likely be found every place. And I'll bet that if you go the any back woods 3rd, 4th, 5th, world nation you will find that cartridge. You may have never heard of the brand but it will probably
have a 30-06. My opinion only now, not fact.
Hows that for sturring the beehive!!! :twisted:

It depends for what its intended use would be.

For example your 30-06 is great but I would not want to meet a Brown bear or a cape buff with one.

If all over the world, then my 416 Bee.

Well, since the question was a very general one, and I don't hunt all over the world......it would be the 280 for me. There is nothing from mice to moose I cannot hunt with it. I just cannot see the need for anything else unless it be the 30-06 as a great all around caliber.

Long

If Africa is not in the mix then my 300 Rum will do well.

Sure, throw Africa into the equation. What if I was sailing the oceans and came upon a rogue whale? My 308 aint gonna cut it...

Again, simply wont happen in my world. And in reality, it would be my 30-30 cuz I can drop that running buck at 600 yds. Got one at 580 last yr with open sights..... :lol: :lol:

Rod

nodak7mm, Good shooting. I can't see that far, much less shoot something with open sights. Heck, I have a hard time just seeing the front sight. :lol:

nodak7mm":3rp63j9v said:
.................in reality, it would be my 30-30 cuz I can drop that running buck at 600 yds. Got one at 580 last yr with open sights..... :lol: :lol:

Rod

Please tell me you're kidding. :!:

Pop,

Please tell me your kidding..... :shock: :shock:

Ya got me, it wasnt my 30-30. It was 680 yards and I was using my Grandpa's Rem 141 in 35 Rem.. :wink:

Rod

Back